Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulder flexibility for bridges

Aaron Griffin

Aaron Griffin

I've always had this problem with back bridges - I have to push up onto my head in a wrestler's bridge before I'm able to properly place my hands down on the ground. Even more, because things are very tight and not rotated correctly, I have a hard time holding this for too long, because my hands slip *inward*.

This is, apparently, the same lack of flexibility that makes the chinup grip deadhang hurt my wrists - because my arms cannot rotate enough.

What would be the best way to work this out? I've begun doing cat stretches to a box with palms facing UP as much as possible - this seems to stretch the right area, but I'm wondering if anyone has better tricks here

Cheers

Phrak you have kettlebells right?

Here is one thing to try -

Take a not too heavy bell and from a packed overhead position lower the bell behind you so your elbow pointing straight up.

Gently swing the bell from side to side focusing on the swing away from center.

Trying to point the bell straight behind you triceps press the bell back up.

Also downdog is one of those great all round stretches and very helpful for backbending shoulders. Elbow stands can also help you actively open that part of your shoulders.

No those are very different. If i have time later i'l see what i can do to explain.

Have you tried banding your arms to hold them in place? I know we all want to do bodywork progressions but this is one of those areas that I think a little external help is beneficial. Band the arms just above the elbow so that they remain shoulder width apart. Use a rubber band, strap, belt, surgical tube, what have you to do the job.

When you lack the flexibility to hold your arms straight while in bridge you expend a lot of energy just pulling your arms together, a good reason you're getting to failure prematurely. The bands help you concentrate on building the proper form strength.

Phrak i figured i'd just try to show it to you.

I haven't do many videos and this is why! Very blurry and unflattering, but i hope it somehow helps. I've postponed making these kind of videos for so long i just figured i'd do it on the fly and just be happy with what comes out.

iEdNS-Ql_IY

Aaron Griffin

That's actually amazingly helpful. Thanks a lot.

When I mentioned "I have a hard time holding this for too long, because my hands slip *inward*", I meant exactly what your brought up in the second exercise - that my arms want to rotate, which causes them to slip on the ground, and then I have no more support, regardless of muscular fatigue or not.

Also, I did something very similar to the first exercise last night, which you might be interested in. Reaching an arm over my head toward the middle of my back, I then bent forward and placed the elbow on a door frame (with my head towards the open area, so it has room), essentially pushing my body forward to stretch the lat/armpit area. Very similar to using weight to pull down the same structure

Aaron Griffin
Have you tried banding your arms to hold them in place?

You know, I honestly didn't think of that, because I don't really see my arms when this happens. What you say makes complete sense - that my elbows essentially splay out to the sides. Bands would definitely work there. I imagine it's going to stretch like mad, so this might be good.

I'll play with this tonight too. Thanks

Putting your elbows on something and doing the stretch is a classic, to make it more effective hold a broom handle or a brick between your hands.

j5555's suggestion is another classic, but has fallen out of favor. There are two issues, one if the banding is too tight and shoulder mobility is limited, it can actually start to tear into the shoulder joint and pop the head of the humerus out of place. The second is that you will tend to want to push against the band when the idea is to actually make the band more slack, so it can program the wrong movement pattern.

If you understand these two things, then working with the bands is fine.

Yes, well I wouldn't have suggested it without knowing that you and others here are extremely mindful of proper form and the issues with using binding. Though I think it does teach good awareness.

I think you and I have similar flexibility issues when it comes to bridge and about all I do to work it is bridge with feet raised a la Blairbob. It's slow going but I'm patient. After a lot of work I'm beginning to believe that it's more related to upper back flexibility than down towards the sacrum.

Aaron Griffin

I played with the band I had and didn't like it - the only circular band I had cut into my arms and was annoying to actually get on and work with

After a lot of work I'm beginning to believe that it's more related to upper back flexibility than down towards the sacrum.

Bingo!

Going back to the first post, I just have beginners start their feet from an elevated surface. This can be harder for some to push up into a bridge (on floor) if their feet are elevated.

Often I just have a beginner start with their back on a mat box or skill cushion mat stack so they start lying on it and then reach down to the floor. If they are weak, the side of the box supports them a bit. If they are strong enough I have them bend their knees and push up into the air and then into the bridge. Adjust as needed.

Most small children and some adults may want a spot as they reach down towards the ground since they think they are gonna crash on their head. Remember the box is often 2 or 3 feet high for adults or perhaps 1-2 feet for young children (4 or 5).

After a lot of work I'm beginning to believe that it's more related to upper back flexibility than down towards the sacrum.

Bingo!

LOL! Yeah, well it wasn't easy to figure out. I don't do it enough but one of the best ways to work on that is to do cobra obviously. It's important to keep it focused on the upper back and not lower down. If that means you only come up several inches, so be it. A help there can be to put a weight on your lower back or have someone gently push down with their foot on your lower back to keep you down. Then, in the more advanced form you raise your arms and hold. That is the hardest by far. You can set up facing a wall and work your hands up the wall until your arms are straight.

You can also use bow pose to do this but that brings in the lower back much more.