Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Starting a Flexibility Routine

305pelusa

Hello everyone!

I've been doing strength training for a couple of years already, but I'm definitely starting to feel the need for flexibility training. Stuff like V-sits, Hanging Leg Raises (with the hips well below the shoulders), and straddle positions (handstands, planches, FLs, etc) are my eventual goals, so I decided that adding flexibility already would be a great way to get to them.

However, I have no idea where to start.

I would love to be pointed towards the right direction as far as frequency, amount of holding time, best kinds of stretches, amount of "sets", etc etc.

Are there any beneficial resources I should take a look at?? Especially on programming?

A friend of mine was going to lend me his "Relax Into Stretch" by Pavel. Should I use this book ? I believe it only has about 3-4 stretches for my goals, so I'm not sure if it's a "complete" program by any standard.

Thank you very much. I just need a place to start from!

Pavel has good stuff on stretching though it's been some time since I went over it.

Try this. It was made a handful of years ago but it has some good resources. Take the recommended stretching program with a grain of salt, as I made it. It was something I used that was time efficient for a group of beginning competitive boys.

http://agt.degreesofclarity.com/stretching/

Pavel has good stuff on stretching though it's been some time since I went over it.

Try this. It was made a handful of years ago but it has some good resources. Take the recommended stretching program with a grain of salt, as I made it. It was something I used that was time efficient for a group of beginning competitive boys.

http://agt.degreesofclarity.com/stretching/

o_0 OMG, it's exactly what I needed. A place for reliable info on stretching, by a person with gymnastic background!!

Seriously, thank you very much!! :D

Pretty much every thing you need is scattered around various threads on this forum.

Can take a while to find it all but it's worth the browsing as you'll find lots of useful information.

But, a few quick 'tips' to set you on the right path (note that like all exercise, there isn't a golden rule that works for every one. You have to try things and see what works best for you given your available time, workout intensity, workout frequency, body recovery rates, etc etc)

For beginners who haven't done much flexibility work, an intense stretch session once a week is fine. This should last around 30-45 minutes. As Coach has pointed out a couple of times, while at the end of the stretch you should feel relaxed and lose, during the stretch you should be working. For example, a seated one leg hamstring stretch can be done by just leaning forwards and relaxing. Or you can use your quad, hips and core to work into the stretch. Both styles have their benefits, but once a week work it!

After a month or two, if you feel good with what you're doing, move on to twice a week. General advice seems to be that you shouldn't do intense stretching more than twice (at most 3 times) a week. You won't see much benefit and will increase risk of injury.

DO NOT BALLISTIC STRETCH. It's rare to find places / people that suggest it but when trauling the internet there's a lot of old garbage around, some of which still tells people to ballistic. (You stretch the muscle and bounce... very bad).

Dynamic stretching and static stretching (and it's variations of) will get you different results. Good dynamic flexibility won't necessarily give you good static flexibility. Good static flexibility tends to give you decent dynamic. Dynamic flexibility can be increased surprisingly fast (full range of movement in upper body within a month or two for most people, and 2-3 months lower body for most). Dynamic flexibility can be practised daily (a lot of martial artists suggest twice a day. I tried this and found it worked great for a couple of weeks then stopped getting any results. Once a day worked better for me)

Stretch every day you do any sort of exercise. Even if just a gentle relaxing stretch, if you work it, stretch it. ~30s for static holds.

Read about PNF/Isometric stretching. Gives fastest results and bonus of builds a modicum of strength as well. Not to be done more than twice a week. Be careful when you get started, don't over do it - build up the intensity over a month or two to avoid injuries.

As for an actual routine, there's hundreds around on the internet. Find one you like, adapt it to what you need, but every so often change it. Add new stretch techniques, remove ones you don't like, keep trying different things.

Again, every one has different preferences but some/most find starting with the core and working towards the extremities works well. (e.g. start with back and hip stretches, work towards hamstrings/shoulders, calves/forearms, wrists/ankles/neck).

Remember to include joint mobility work as well. And particularly if working on shoulder flexibility, make sure your workouts include shoulder stabilization exercises. No good being super flexible if your muscles can't safely support through the range of movement.

Good luck and have fun :)

• Upvote 2

Great explanation! Thank you VERY much!!

I do not understand, however, what the difference is between "straining" during the stretch (what you mentioned first), and PNFs. Is it because PNFs are more contract-relax, and the first one, you contract throughout the whole time??

Again, I can't appreciate enough the time that you took to write it :D

What I need at this point is just a selection of stretches, but Mr Blairbob's website had a link to a website that has that, so I should be good to be starting!

Aaron Griffin
I do not understand, however, what the difference is between "straining" during the stretch (what you mentioned first), and PNFs. Is it because PNFs are more contract-relax, and the first one, you contract throughout the whole time??

In the seated hamstring stretch example given, the "straining" he talks about is NOT PNF stretching. PNF stretching requires you to contract the muscle being stretched. The only way to do this in a seated hamstring stretch is to press the heel into the floor, hard. viewty, however, is talking about using all your other muscles to press your further into the stretch. Think of it like lifting your leg in front of you - the harder you press, the more your QUADS work, but not your hamstrings, which are being stretched

In the seated hamstring stretch example given, the "straining" he talks about is NOT PNF stretching. PNF stretching requires you to contract the muscle being stretched. The only way to do this in a seated hamstring stretch is to press the heel into the floor, hard. viewty, however, is talking about using all your other muscles to press your further into the stretch. Think of it like lifting your leg in front of you - the harder you press, the more your QUADS work, but not your hamstrings, which are being stretched

Ohhhh, gotcha gotcha

Great explanation! Thanks!

Correct. Sorry my post wasn't particularly clear in distinguishing this.

A better example would have been using an active static stretch as you suggested.

• 4 years later...