Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yoga? =O

Alexis Solis

Will Yoga help me getting more flexible? Or should I just keep with my strenght for flexibility/dynamic stretching/isometric stretching routine? :lol:

There is so much variation in what 'yoga' means that its not that simple of a question. But in general yes yoga will help with your flexibility, but it is also specific, in the sense that yoga style x helps with yoga style x, and may or may not help you accomplish your goals.

It really comes down to what you like, if you like yoga then it will be a great choice, but in all honesty i can't say its better than just some stretching, or for that matter, what makes one kind of stretching yoga and another just stretching.

Thomas Haugsand

If you like Yoga, I would strongly recommend Ashtanga Yoga. Lots of strength and flexibility work in addition to stretching muscles you'd never thought about stretching :-) And if you are worried about it being useless in the strength department, I'll promise you that only gymnasts and dancers would hope to finish a series the first time. In fact you'' see some parallels to Coach Sommers bodyweight philosophy

Thomas

Will Yoga help me getting more flexible? Or should I just keep with my strenght for flexibility/dynamic stretching/isometric stretching routine? :lol:

3runMX,

Flexibility can be a byproduct of a Yoga asana practice. Not so much because asanas are flexibility magic by themselves, but mostly because a Yoga practice generally encourages attentive and consistent stretching.

I have observed that, at least in the general athletic public (e.g. Crossfit gym members), most people would rather die than stretch because it's so uncomfortable, and so patience and consistency are the hardest traits to cultivate.

My feel is also that the more process-oriented you become (love the pursuit, as opposed to pursue a specific outcome), you'll see greater success.

best,

jason