Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Massage oils

Bruno Cochofel

Bruno Cochofel

So I do SMR with foam roller and massage ball, I try to rest enough, eat well, but I'm not that young :-) so from time to time I get really sored...

What good massage oils can I use to relief muscle soreness? I want to add a good massage to the SMR stuff I already do ;-)

Thx,

Bruno

As far as oils/gels, I've seen mixed success with Arnica on clients, though some people swear by it. Traditional massage oils for sore muscles include:

Dwarf Pine
    Jojoba
    Peppermint
    Eucalyptus
    Melissa and Chamomile
    Safflower Seed
    Olive
    Avacado
    Rosemary

and so forth. You can look up specific recipes in any aromatherapy book. Aside from the nice pine smell and skin tingling, my regular clients have not found the lotion with many of the above ingredients to by any more beneficial than a simple Olive/Almond/Grapeseed Oil. It comes down more to the tissue work itself and what you do nutritionally to recover.

Bruno Cochofel
As far as oils/gels, I've seen mixed success with Arnica on clients, though some people swear by it. Traditional massage oils for sore muscles include:

• Dwarf Pine
    Jojoba
    Peppermint
    Eucalyptus
    Melissa and Chamomile
    Safflower Seed
    Olive
    Avacado
    Rosemary

and so forth. You can look up specific recipes in any aromatherapy book. Aside from the nice pine smell and skin tingling, my regular clients have not found the lotion with many of the above ingredients to by any more beneficial than a simple Olive/Almond/Grapeseed Oil. It comes down more to the tissue work itself and what you do nutritionally to recover.

Sorry for asking again, but I don't really know nothing about aromatherapy... Something like this?

http://birchhillhappenings.com/recipes/pain.htm

I don't typically make my own oil (so I'm no expert in that area) but I would find an actual book because they go into far more detail than online sites.

Bruno Cochofel
I don't typically make my own oil (so I'm no expert in that area) but I would find an actual book because they go into far more detail than online sites.

I was really searching for a already made oil :-) I'm not that good with chemistry...

If you have a Whole Foods store, they sometimes carry oils that will work. There are also massage creams which can be used for slow, deep work. There are merchants on-line who sell oils directly to the public who specialize in massage. It has been a while since I purchased any. Some drug stores may have something that will work well enough for a non-professional. It doesn't need to be fancy. I have always liked almond oil, which is thick, for slower work.

Do you have somebody who can administer the massage? Best thing is to go get a massage from a licensed therapist, especially one who can do deep tissue or other recovery massage. Some relaxation type massage is always good, but might not help as much for overworked muscle.

Bruno Cochofel
If you have a Whole Foods store, they sometimes carry oils that will work. There are also massage creams which can be used for slow, deep work. There are merchants on-line who sell oils directly to the public who specialize in massage. It has been a while since I purchased any. Some drug stores may have something that will work well enough for a non-professional. It doesn't need to be fancy. I have always liked almond oil, which is thick, for slower work.

Do you have somebody who can administer the massage? Best thing is to go get a massage from a licensed therapist, especially one who can do deep tissue or other recovery massage. Some relaxation type massage is always good, but might not help as much for overworked muscle.

Thank you, and yes I have someone that can administer the massage. I already do tissue work to recovery, self massage with foam roller and massage ball. I was looking for some kind of complement for what I already do..