This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Colibri's Training Log

Started by Colibri, October 17, 2011 · 96 Replies · 4,771 Views

Iwan Thomas

hey buddy, good to see you're coming along well. I also agree its important to get the basics nailed - build a foundation etc. Just remember to work and try to get strong at dips and pullups will help a lot. Ultimately be patient and push to the brink of overtraining but not over.

Looking forward to seeing your progress and nice to see another person from GB on GB!

Josh Schmitter
Vincearoo said:
Tanstaafl, where did you find that post of slizzardman's? There's one right on the main page right now of basic strength that where is saying to do it 3x a week. One person asked if 1x a week is enough and he said 3x is optimal, but 2x would probably be enough.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7365

Hey, sorry about the late reply. Here is the original slizzardman pull up thread I got that from.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2719&p=17839&hilit=close+grip#p17839

I believe he is making a distinction between doing your own programming vs. doing the WOD's. If doing the WOD's I believe he recommends just doing a submaximal set of pulls in your warmup and/or doing this routine x1 a week so as to not overtrain.

Colibri said:

How is this for my SSC? I'm glad I didn't include the FSP static work and focused on the prerequisites. The prerequisites killed me :D my arms felt non existant after the chin grips, my core killed me after the planks and the PB support really put OOMPH into my shoulders :)

I think I'm gonna scale the FBE work to 3 sets of 5, because I can see the prerequisite work taking up most of my energy. I couldn't manage another rep of the inverted pullups!

Sorry for losing track here. You should not be wrecked after your Pre-req WARMUP. It is exactly that. That is not to say it will not be hard at first and take some time getting used to. Slizzardman has talked about doing 1 round for a week, then adding round 2, etc. Also taking breaks between rounds, until you are eventually just going back to back to back. Now, doing your own programming, you can obviously make this harder than a warmup if you want, just know you will have to drop some intensity/volume from the rest of your WO.

As far as FSP before getting the pre-reqs down, I believe the consensus is if you have already been working the FSP's for a while and have decent progress on them, you can continue. But personally if you're not doing adv. tuck PL, or flat tuck levers I would just hit the pre-reqs only.

The FBE you can start anywhere from 3x3 to 5x5, so if you're doing a SSC you want something hard, but doable so by the end it should be fairly easy for a few weeks before moving on.

Colibri
IRT said:
hey buddy, good to see you're coming along well. I also agree its important to get the basics nailed - build a foundation etc. Just remember to work and try to get strong at dips and pullups will help a lot. Ultimately be patient and push to the brink of overtraining but not over.

Looking forward to seeing your progress and nice to see another person from GB on GB!

Thanks IRT! Working along nicely now! I'll follow your log too :)

TANSTAAFL said:
Vincearoo said:
Tanstaafl, where did you find that post of slizzardman's? There's one right on the main page right now of basic strength that where is saying to do it 3x a week. One person asked if 1x a week is enough and he said 3x is optimal, but 2x would probably be enough.

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewto ... =18&t=7365

Hey, sorry about the late reply. Here is the original slizzardman pull up thread I got that from.

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewto ... rip#p17839

I believe he is making a distinction between doing your own programming vs. doing the WOD's. If doing the WOD's I believe he recommends just doing a submaximal set of pulls in your warmup and/or doing this routine x1 a week so as to not overtrain.

Colibri said:

How is this for my SSC? I'm glad I didn't include the FSP static work and focused on the prerequisites. The prerequisites killed me :D my arms felt non existant after the chin grips, my core killed me after the planks and the PB support really put OOMPH into my shoulders :)

I think I'm gonna scale the FBE work to 3 sets of 5, because I can see the prerequisite work taking up most of my energy. I couldn't manage another rep of the inverted pullups!

Sorry for losing track here. You should not be wrecked after your Pre-req WARMUP. It is exactly that. That is not to say it will not be hard at first and take some time getting used to. Slizzardman has talked about doing 1 round for a week, then adding round 2, etc. Also taking breaks between rounds, until you are eventually just going back to back to back. Now, doing your own programming, you can obviously make this harder than a warmup if you want, just know you will have to drop some intensity/volume from the rest of your WO.

As far as FSP before getting the pre-reqs down, I believe the consensus is if you have already been working the FSP's for a while and have decent progress on them, you can continue. But personally if you're not doing adv. tuck PL, or flat tuck levers I would just hit the pre-reqs only.

The FBE you can start anywhere from 3x3 to 5x5, so if you're doing a SSC you want something hard, but doable so by the end it should be fairly easy for a few weeks before moving on.

Aha, I get you now, all is sorted! I'm ditching the routine for now because I'm doing a basic prereq SSC :) I'll get back to stuff in 6 weeks once it's over! Thanks for checking out my log buddy!

Colibri

10/11/2011 - Thursday

Warmup:

Molding Mobility, no wrist prehab (doing some tonight in Wing Chun)

FSP Prerequisite holds:

Plank:2x25s, 1x15s = 65sec total

Reverse plank: 2x28s = 56sec total

Hollow hold: 3x13s, 1x10s, 1x3s (had to stop at one point because my lower back was arching too much) = 52sec total

Arch hold: 3x20s = 60sec total

PB support: 3x17s, 1x10s = 61sec total

Chin dead hang: 3x20s = 60sec total

FBE work:

Pullup negatives : 3x3 reps

Box HeSPU: 3x3 - form check - form is poor!

Must fix it :

1bLI0.png My hips aren't piked, not at a 90 degree angle. I'll get a friend to help me correct this next time I'm doing these.

__________________________________________

:twisted:

I'm trying not to arch my lower back but there's a small hollow in it when I do the hollow holds. Any tips? It affects my core but it feels like my lower back is under weird pressure :!:

Colibri

6-rRmYSDTYM

Josh Schmitter
Colibri said:
6-rRmYSDTYM

Those look pretty good to me, but by no means do I have a qualified eye to know what to look for. For the Rev. Plank focus on pushing out through the shoulders/pushing the chest up. For the Hollow, can't really tell w/ the shirt, but you want only the small of your back touching and pressing into the ground, no other parts touching. I would definitely post it in the digital coaching section as well if you haven't already. Blairbob and Mr. Brady usually respond very quickly and thoroughly.

Also I forgot to mention before, remember you are working toward 3x60s for the pre-reqs. The regular FSP's you would work for 1x60s.

Colibri
TANSTAAFL said:
Colibri said:
6-rRmYSDTYM

Those look pretty good to me, but by no means do I have a qualified eye to know what to look for. For the Rev. Plank focus on pushing out through the shoulders/pushing the chest up. For the Hollow, can't really tell w/ the shirt, but you want only the small of your back touching and pressing into the ground, no other parts touching. I would definitely post it in the digital coaching section as well if you haven't already. Blairbob and Mr. Brady usually respond very quickly and thoroughly.

Also I forgot to mention before, remember you are working toward 3x60s for the pre-reqs. The regular FSP's you would work for 1x60s.

Thanks for the advice buddy, will think of it tomorrow morning :)

As for the hollow, only the small? :o oops, ah crap! That's gonna hurt :( lol

The prereqs 3x60s I'm aware of, thanks pal :)

Uzeeh

Other parts of the back can touch the ground, too, as long as the lower back is glued into the ground. What you described is more of an exaggerated hollow used in hollow rocks.

Your rev plank looks very nice. I think you could try to hollow your body more in the normal plank - protract the scapula a bit.

Colibri
Uzeeh said:
Other parts of the back can touch the ground, too, as long as the lower back is glued into the ground. What you described is more of an exaggerated hollow used in hollow rocks.

Your rev plank looks very nice. I think you could try to hollow your body more in the normal plank - protract the scapula a bit.

PHEW! I was thinking that I would have to test my max for that again and start afresh :P I'll try to keep it locked down now as much as possible :)

Thanks for the help man! I'll work on the hollow, and hollowing my plank too. I'll upload another tomorrow :)

Josh Schmitter
Uzeeh said:
Other parts of the back can touch the ground, too, as long as the lower back is glued into the ground. What you described is more of an exaggerated hollow used in hollow rocks.

Thanks for that as well. That might make things easier for me as well.

Brutus
TANSTAAFL said:
Colibri said:
6-rRmYSDTYM

Those look pretty good to me, but by no means do I have a qualified eye to know what to look for. For the Rev. Plank focus on pushing out through the shoulders/pushing the chest up. For the Hollow, can't really tell w/ the shirt, but you want only the small of your back touching and pressing into the ground, no other parts touching. I would definitely post it in the digital coaching section as well if you haven't already. Blairbob and Mr. Brady usually respond very quickly and thoroughly.

Also I forgot to mention before, remember you are working toward 3x60s for the pre-reqs. The regular FSP's you would work for 1x60s.

I agree with TANSTAAFL. Your rev plank looks great. Very solid.

The hollow position I think you should try to point the toes away from you, that will also make the legs stiffer (I think you don´t lock the knees)

Colibri

Thanks guys, means alot :)

Colibri

11/11/2011 - Friday

Warmup:

Molding Mobility, wrist prehab

FSP Prerequisite holds:

Plank:2x25s, 1x15s = 65sec total

Reverse plank: 2x28s = 56sec total

Hollow hold: 3x13s, 1x10s, 1x3s (had to stop at one point because my lower back was arching too much) = 52sec total

Arch hold: 3x20s = 60sec total

PB support: 3x17s, 1x10s = 61sec total

Chin dead hang: 3x20s = 60sec total

FBE work:

Curl (inverted pullup): 3x3 reps

Dips: 3x3

__________________________________________

:twisted:

Happy that the hollow hold back problem is fixed - my legs were too low! All sorted now :) Got the inverted pullup too, completely perpendicular to the ground (but with a tuck) :)

Colibri

_5D5YqqWA-w

Colibri

14/11/2011 - Monday

Warmup:

Molding Mobility, wrist prehab, scapular pushups - 3x5

FSP Prerequisite holds:

Plank:2x25s, 1x15s = 65sec total

Reverse plank: 2x28s = 56sec total

Hollow hold: 4x13 = 52sec total

Arch hold: 3x20s = 60sec total

PB support: 3x17s, 1x10s = 61sec total

Chin dead hang: 3x20s = 60sec total

FBE work:

Diamond pushups: 3x3 reps

Towel rows: 3x3

Ends with 5 minutes of HS work.

__________________________________________

:twisted:

Everything is falling into place - I see how each prerequisite is good for each part of my body and the forms are nearly corrected. The towel rows killed me today, it was awesome :)

The only thing that I hated today was the HS work. In total, I did 3 SLOPPY handstands with crap form and 3 headstands. I'm terrified to go straight to a stomach-to-wall because once my hands get within 4 inches close to the wall, my legs feel like they're toppling over and I have to bail out! Need to work on rolling out methinks.

Brutus

I think placing HS at the end of the routine could many times discourage yourself.

I have read because of the balance, control, and power needed it sould be placed at the beginning of the routine when the NCS is fresh.

Colibri

I did not know that Brutus, thanks! :)

Colibri

15/11/2011 - Tuesday

Warmup:

Molding Mobility, wrist prehab, scapular pushups - 5x3

FSP Prerequisite holds:

Plank:2x25s, 1x15s = 65sec total

Reverse plank: 2x28s = 56sec total

Hollow hold: 4x13 = 52sec total

Arch hold: 3x20s = 60sec total

PB support: 3x17s, 1x10s = 61sec total

Chin dead hang: 3x20s = 60sec total

FBE work:

Chair dips: 3x3 reps

Inverted PU (I found out how to do these properly with my pullup bar! Hint: pike;) : 3x3

__________________________________________

:twisted:

Had a Rocky playlist on Youtube this morning for motivation! Was a good workout. Nothing amazingly hard, but definitely challenging somewhat :) I think I'm getting used to the overload? Doesn't matter either way. I feel more agile with all the mobility exercises and feel stronger with the FBE work!

Rest day tomorrow. That's the most challenging part :)

Colibri

22/11/2011 - Tuesday

Warmup:

Molding Mobility, wrist prehab, scapular pushups - 5x3

FSP Prerequisite holds:

Plank:2x25s, 1x15s = 65sec total

Reverse plank: 2x28s = 56sec total

Hollow hold: 4x13 = 52sec total

Arch hold: 3x20s = 60sec total

PB support: 3x17s, 1x10s = 61sec total

Chin dead hang: 3x20s = 60sec total

FBE work:

Chair dips: 3x3 reps

Inverted PU: 3x3

__________________________________________

:twisted:

The last two WO days didn't happen because well, I got a job! Finding the time and settling in was demanding but now I know my hours so I should be able to work out properly again!

About today's WO, I feel it went well. Definitely have more grip and core strength! It was a nice break :D

Brutus

Did you ever do in your WODs wrist pushups?

I am trying to include them in mine because I need to stregthen them a lot. I am actually really doing kneeled on the floor

Colibri

Back at this. For anyone who wants an explanation, read my story here : http://strengthinthekeyoflife.blogspot.ie/2012/09/10-months-of-screwing-around-but-lot.html

Good thing I gained a lot of knowledge. I'm annoyed at myself for leaving the GST method behind in the first place. I'm back though!

Tuesday 17/09/2012

Mobility work - shoulder circles, scapular pushups 1x10, scapular dislocations (belt) 1x10, scapular wall slides 1x10, wrist prehab novel movements, scapular protraction/retrations, interal & external rotations, 2x5 planche leans (hand adjusting)

Prerequisites:

Plank: 32s, 32s

Reverse Plank: 35s, 35s,

Arch/superman hold: 16, 16, 16, 16

Hollow hold: 10s, 10s, 10s, 10s, 10s, 10s

Chin hollow hang: 32s, 32s

PB supportL 32s, 32s

FBE Work

Pullup: 3x3

Incline pushup: 3x3

Bridge: 5, 5

OAP negative: (towel assist) 3, 3

Pistols: 8, 8, 8

Did each FBE set in a superset.

All of the FBEs were done at a 30x1 tempo. Challenging enough!

Colibri

Tuesday 18/09/2012

Mobility work - shoulder circles, scapular pushups 1x10, scapular dislocations (belt) 1x10, scapular wall slides 1x10, interal & external rotations

Prerequisites:

Plank: 32s, 32s

Reverse Plank: 35s, 35s,

Arch/superman hold: 16, 16, 16, 16

Hollow hold: 10s, 10s, 10s, 10s, 10s, 10s

Chin hollow hang: 32s, 32s

PB support: 32s, 32s

Didn't get in a lot of time today to do FBEs but I'll do so tomorrow. Got the pre-requisites in, which is what I am focusing on the most!

Colibri

wednesday 19/09/2012

Mobility work - shoulder circles, scapular pushups 1x10, scapular dislocations (belt) 1x10, scapular wall slides 1x10, wrist prehab novel movements, scapular protraction/retrations, interal & external rotations, 2x5 planche leans (hand adjusting)

Prerequisites:

Plank: 32s, 32s

Reverse Plank: 35s, 35s,

Arch/superman hold: 16, 16, 16, 16

Hollow hold: 10s, 10s, 10s, 10s, 10s, 10s

Chin hollow hang: 32s, 32s

PB supportL 32s, 32s

FBE Work

Pullup: 3x3

Incline pushup: 3x3

Bridge: 5, 5

Pistols: 8, 8, 8

Did each FBE set in a superset.

All of the FBEs were done at a 30x1 tempo.

Colibri

Thursday 20/09/2012

Mobility/prehab work -

  • Scapular: Shoulder circles x10
    Scapular swings x10
    Scap pushups x10
    Scapular dislocations (belt) 2x10
    Scapular wall slides x10
    Planche leans (Front, Side, Back) 5 seconds x3

Prerequisites:

Plank: 32s, 32s

Reverse Plank: 35s, 35s,

Arch/superman hold: 16, 16, 16, 16

Hollow hold: 10s, 10s, 10s, 10s, 10s, 10s

Chin hollow hang: 32s, 32s

PB supportL 32s, 32s

I've taped my pre-requisite holds, if you'd like to help with the form : http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9855

SLQ6u5uDcg0

Thank you :)

Colibri

The Friday Feeling 21/09/2012

Mobility/prehab work -

  • Scapular: Shoulder circles x10
    Scapular swings x10
    Scap pushups 2x10
    Scapular dislocations (belt) 2x10
    Scapular wall slides 2x10
    Planche leans (Front, Side, Back) 5 seconds x3


  • Prerequisites:
    Plank: 32s, 32s
    Reverse Plank: 35s, 35s,
    Arch/superman hold: 16, 16, 16, 16
    Hollow hold: 10s, 10s, 10s, 10s, 10s, 10s
    Chin hollow hang: 32s, 32s
    PB supportL 32s, 32s
    FBE Work:
    Pullup: 3x3
    Incline pushup: 3x3
    Bridge: 5x3
    Pistols: 8x3
    Did each FBE set in a superset.
    All of the FBEs were done at a 30x1 tempo.

___________________________________________

To anyone who is reading this, is 3 sets of 3 reps enough (in my push and pull) for strength gains? I am finding it challenging, especially with the tempo.