This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Colibri's Training Log

Started by Colibri, October 17, 2011 · 96 Replies · 4,771 Views

Colibri

Hey guys, hope you're all doing well. Started training this morning, took about an hour and a half LOL. I'm not the strongest person in the world but I hope to get stronger with this stuff :)

Anyway, here's what I did. I am using (a slightly modified) killroy70's template, including phrakture's Starting Stretching routine before and after the training. Here's my log.

Colibri

17/10/2011 - Monday

Warmup - Molding mobility (5-10 mins)

Counting each rep in seconds, seeing my progress over time.

FSP warmup:

Planche - Frog stand

3s, 6s, 4s, 4s, 3s

BL tuck

5s, 5s, 7s, 3s, 7s

FL tuck

1s, 2s, 3s, 1s, .5s

HS work - headstand

7s, 13s, 15s, 10s.

______________________________________

FBE work

Slow regular FX pushups:

5x5

Towel rows (don't have rings yet)

3x5, 1x4.

That's it today guys. Would appreciate any and all CC :)

Brutus

I tried people to give me opinion about my routine but no one replied.

I´ve seen your post in "Getting started" and perhaps try to copy some of yours

I will try to pay attention to your log.

Philip Chubb

I will give my opinion though I am not familiar with the killroy template.

First, how is your lsit? I see you are working on your planche already without having lsit there. I don't subscribe to the whole 60s requirement thing but I do think you should have a strong one before you start working a position with even less leverage.

Also for the front lever, that doesn't seem like much volume on all. The times are a bit short. You may want to do your front lever slightly higher so you can put more time into the actual position. Then when you get stronger, you can lower it down. It will save you time in the long run.

The basic FBE look fine. The PUs will eventually become dips and HSPU and the rows will eventually become pullups and lever rows.

Lastly, you may want to check the prerequisite thread. The arch and hollow and support positions will probably give you some serious bang for your buck if you are just starting out.

Just my two cents. Hope it helps.

Colibri
PHILIP said:
I will give my opinion though I am not familiar with the killroy template.

First, how is your lsit? I see you are working on your planche already without having lsit there. I don't subscribe to the whole 60s requirement thing but I do think you should have a strong one before you start working a position with even less leverage.

Also for the front lever, that doesn't seem like much volume on all. The times are a bit short. You may want to do your front lever slightly higher so you can put more time into the actual position. Then when you get stronger, you can lower it down. It will save you time in the long run.

The basic FBE look fine. The PUs will eventually become dips and HSPU and the rows will eventually become pullups and lever rows.

Lastly, you may want to check the prerequisite thread. The arch and hollow and support positions will probably give you some serious bang for your buck if you are just starting out.

Just my two cents. Hope it helps.

I haven't trained L-Sit yet but they'll be worked on as part of my FSP work from now on :) I'll do the 60s one, simply because I want to build a good solid base of strength in each movement/position.

As for the front lever, what do you mean a bit higher? As in, lean back a bit more in it? I'm having a hard time getting my knees up from hang, so I kip a bit - is this okay?

The killroy70 program incorporates all of those FBEs you mentioned there -

Day 1 - horizontal plane pushing and pulling FBE

Day 2 - curling (inverted pullup) and dipping variations (RTO dips, etc..) FBE

Day 3 - pullup and HeSPU variation FBE

Day 4 - multiplane pulling variaions + varied pressing work

I'll get the arch and hollow down alright :D my FSP warmup is very extensive alright but sure it will build a good deal of strength!

I'll probably post a video tomorrow for critique :)

Thanks for the help!

Philip Chubb

I mean get your hips a bit higher on the front lever. So the position is a little easier. It will let you work longer holds which will build the strength way faster especially if you are just starting out. Otherwise it looks good. Keep up on your prehab and good training to you!

Vincent Stoyas

Hi and welcome to the boards! I'm new myself so I'll probably be looking at this log more often than others. Don't have much time to really look at it much, just saw this question you had.

Colibri said:

As for the front lever, what do you mean a bit higher? As in, lean back a bit more in it? I'm having a hard time getting my knees up from hang, so I kip a bit - is this okay?

Thanks for the help!

You don't have to pull your knees up from a dead hang. Go to an inverted hang and lower yourself into a FL, no kip necessary that way. I used to have a horrible time with my FL, I couldn't even hold the position for a second. Then I finished one SSC and after that I could hold a tucked FL tuck for 15 seconds without any practice. It'll come with time. Good luck!

Colibri

Thanks PHILIP and Vincearoo! I'll get working on those front levers :)

Colibri

18/10/2011 - Tuesday

Warmup:

[list=]

Molding Mobility

Wrist prehab work

1x5 wrist pushups on a towel

FSP work:

Planche (Frog Stand) :

2s, 3s, 6.5s, 13s, 4s

L-Sit (PB tuck):

7s, 12s, 10s, 11s, 2s, 10s, 5s, 9s

PB support:

10s, 15s, 11s, 14s, 27s

Handstand work:

11s Headstand. Terrified of doing handstands!

Hollow Hold:

9s, 6s, 4s, 2s, 8s

__________________________________________

FBE work:

PB Dips:

1x4, 1x4, 1x3, 1x5

Invert Pullup:

1x5, 1x5, 1x5, 1x5, 1x5

___________________________

I switched around the FSP work today to include the 60s prerequisites that were posted. Will do different FSPs on each day (good idea?)

I found the FBE work very challenging today, I hadn't a great idea of what I was actually doing. My dips were not of a full ROM, what should I do here?

Colibri

x4-hhm3X_cw

Inverted pullup attempt. Is this what I'm supposed to be doing? I need to fix the swinging and I can see that instead of pulling up at certain reps, I'm just extending my body.

EDIT: I realised the shocking camera angle this is at. The next video will be much better, I assure you!

Brutus

I don´t think this can be called an inverted pullup.

I see it more like a tuck front lever pull, don´t you think so?

I think there is emphasis on the horizontal plane pulling using not mainly your biceps, but your lats and back

Colibri

That's true Brutus, but I couldn't extend my legs because of the low ceiling :) I'll experiment later and find a good compromise position! :)

Vincent Stoyas

Indeed, this is on the horizontal plane of field. This progression comes after Bulgarian rows, this should be a tuck fl row.

Colibri
Vincearoo said:
Indeed, this is on the horizontal plane of field. This progression comes after Bulgarian rows, this should be a tuck fl row.

I'm quite confused now. Is my technique correct then (assuming I straighten my legs)?

I got inspiration from this video (

)
Vincent Stoyas
Colibri said:
Vincearoo said:
Indeed, this is on the horizontal plane of field. This progression comes after Bulgarian rows, this should be a tuck fl row.

I'm quite confused now. Is my technique correct :mrgreen: then (assuming I straighten my legs)?

I got inspiration from this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRaORXt5mL

w)

Yeah, I see your intentions closer now. It still just looks like a really tucked front lever to me. Maybe its just because its on a bar, I'm not sure. I tried to do what you did on my own bar and it just doesnt feel the same as an inverted pull up in rings. I don't know how to help you correct it because I don't know either. My apologies.

Colibri
Vincearoo said:
Colibri said:
Vincearoo said:
Indeed, this is on the horizontal plane of field. This progression comes after Bulgarian rows, this should be a tuck fl row.

I'm quite confused now. Is my technique correct :mrgreen: then (assuming I straighten my legs)?

I got inspiration from this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRaORXt5mL

w)

Yeah, I see your intentions closer now. It still just looks like a really tucked front lever to me. Maybe its just because its on a bar, I'm not sure. I tried to do what you did on my own bar and it just doesnt feel the same as an inverted pull up in rings. I don't know how to help you correct it because I don't know either. My apologies.

Don't apologise buddy, thank you for your help! :)

EDIT:

Would this be suitable? It looks like a mixture of a german hang and pullups.

0zxcgK6tlLE

Cheers :)

I think I'll just post another video experimenting with it and see which feels closest to one performed on rings. I have an idea, not sure how it'll work yet but wish me luck :P

Vincent Stoyas

I honestly don't know what that exercise would be. Looks intense, whatever it is haha.

I've thought about it a little and I think what it comes down to is that, an inverted pull up should actually be an inverted chin up. So you should switch your hands around.

You'd be best off following how this guy is doing it, I believe.

.
Colibri
Vincearoo said:
I honestly don't know what that exercise would be. Looks intense, whatever it is haha.

I've thought about it a little and I think what it comes down to is that, an inverted pull up should actually be an inverted chin up. So you should switch your hands around.

You'd be best off following how this guy is doing it, I believe.

.

While I can't have the same leg position as that guy due to the ceiling, I definitely see the improvement after switching my hands. I'm no longer kipping with my whole body, I'm actually using my arms :)

Thanks pal!

Colibri

I was all over the place for the second half of the week, so I'm back again in full swing :)

24/10/2011 - Monday

Warmup - Wrist pre-hab, 1x7 wrist pushups, Molding mobility (5-10 mins)

FSP warmup:

Planche - Frog stand

3s, 4s, 2s, 5s, 7s, 7s

BL tuck

5s, 6s, 5s, 7s, 4s, 7s

FL tuck

2s, 3s, failure (really need to work on my FSP tuck. Any advice? I don't have the grip strength methinks.)

Hollow Hold

5s, 5s, 3s, 5s, 5.5s, 5s

PB support:

18s, 14.5s, 20s, 19s, 15s, 19s

______________________________________

FBE work - Horizontal plane pushing and pulling

Slow regular FX pushups:

5x5

Towel rows

4x5, 1x4.

Ended with stretching.

Would appreciate any and all CC :)

Brutus
Colibri said:

FL tuck

2s, 3s, failure (really need to work on my FSP tuck. Any advice? I don't have the grip strength methinks.)

You do it hanging on an bar or rings?

Colibri said:

Hollow Hold

5s, 5s, 3s, 5s, 5.5s, 5s

I think you still have not a powerful core. The time holding hollow position must be a clue.

Perhpas you should do a solid reverse plank for 20 or 30 seconds (2 or 3 series)

Colibri
Brutus said:
Colibri said:

FL tuck

2s, 3s, failure (really need to work on my FSP tuck. Any advice? I don't have the grip strength methinks.)

You do it hanging on an bar or rings?

I do everything on a bar for now, will make some rings as soon as I get the cash together for PVC pipes.
Brutus said:
Colibri said:

Hollow Hold

5s, 5s, 3s, 5s, 5.5s, 5s

I think you still have not a powerful core. The time holding hollow position must be a clue.

Perhpas you should do a solid reverse plank for 20 or 30 seconds (2 or 3 series)

I'll go back to the reverse plank methinks. I thought I had a solid core before I started training, guess not :D

Thanks Brutus!

Brutus
Colibri said:

I'll go back to the reverse plank methinks. I thought I had a solid core before I started training, guess not :D

Thanks Brutus!

So did I.

But when I tried to mantain a proper hollow position and only could do it for 15 sec I realized how weak I was :oops:

I usually do both in my training: reverse plank for 30 seconds or so and hollow body for the max I can

Colibri
Brutus said:
Colibri said:

I'll go back to the reverse plank methinks. I thought I had a solid core before I started training, guess not :D

Thanks Brutus!

So did I.

But when I tried to mantain a proper hollow position and only could do it for 15 sec I realized how weak I was :oops:

I usually do both in my training: reverse plank for 30 seconds or so and hollow body for the max I can

I know how it is :D

Colibri

25/10/2011 - Tuesday

Warmup:

Molding Mobility

Wrist prehab work

1x7, 1x2 wrist pushups (knee pushups) on a towel

FSP work:

Planche (Frog Stand) :

5s, 2s, 9s, 8s, 10s - My balance is improving :D

L-Sit (PB tuck):

10s, 10s, 11s, 9s, 14s, 20s

Reverse plank:

30s, 30s

Hollow Hold:

11s, 10s, 10s

__________________________________________

FBE work:

PB Dips:

1x5, 1x5, 1x5, 1x5

Invert Pullup:

1x5, 1x5, 1x5, 1x5

___________________________

Stuck to strict form on my L-sit tuck today and by god it burns the core :D

Brutus

1 set of 41 seconds of L-sit, and a last of 20 s.

Big improvement, isn´t it?