Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tips for big guys

griffdrc

i'm 6ft 240lbs and my training partner is 6'2 and 320lbs and we are working on the progressions... started on the rings in june...

where we're at:

adv tuck planche press on the rings (6+)

assisted maltese on the rings (only need light spot)

adv tuck front lever pulls on the rings (8+)

assisted iron cross (only lightly spotted)

assisted one arm pulls

free standing hspu (~5)

press hand stand w/ bent arms

one arm hspu against the wall (~6)

dragon flags

some goals... some long term and others hopefully short term

planche press on the rings

maltese on rings

front lever pulls on the rings

iron cross

one arm pulls

press handstand on floor and rings

hspu on the rings

one arm hspu w/o wall

human flags

its been a long slow process to get here but we have come a long ways from the start. right now our training consists of olympic lifts, grip and gymnastic training. we also wrestle, greco and grappling.

any tips or advice to help us along our way would be great. thanks and good luck training

John Sapinoso

sounds like you're doing just fine but if there is a problem you're having it would help if you were a little more specific.

"one arm hspu against the wall (~6)" could you post a video please? i'd love to see that.

i geuss i wasn't very specific... we're having trouble getting past the last little bit... the progress has really slowed down... ex: i can hold the adv tuck planche for well over a minute but can't do a straddle planche... i don't know if there any tips to get past the last hurdle...

also i'm curious to know the biggest guys you've seen perform these skills...

after this week i'll see if i can find some time to make a video of the one arm hspu... its hard on your triceps and difficult for me to keep my balence... right now i try to go down until my arm is about 90 degrees... hopefully i'll be able to progress to a larger range of motion...

The biggest people I've personally heard of who perform these skills are probably you guys :). Most people who do this stuff are in the 130-160 lb. range.

John Sapinoso

Ido Portal wrote something in another thread that might be pertinent to your situation:

1. Absolutely. I cut the volume by 40-60 % every 2-5 workouts. It is one of the most neglected issues in training. Most people do not have the work ethic to train regularly enough to use and enjoy this concept, though. If you train religiously and never skip a workout, and you cut volume according to the guidelines above, results are promised. It is not for someone who trains three times a week and then takes a week off, etc..

Also you could try varying your planche exercises such as adding weight, adding movement (tuck planche pushups on parallettes for added depth) or performing negatives (your body can lower more weight than it can lift so either free standing or with feet against a wall lower through to a straddle planche as slowly as possible and hold)

I stand around 6'0 and weigh around 180lbs and I've always been considered on the larger end of the spectrum when I was a competitive gymnast but by no means large by normal people standards.

When I was in gymnastics I was the tallest and heaviest kid, 5'11 at 165 pounds.

Here's some motivation:http://www128.pair.com/r3d4k7/Chinups.html

Check out some of those guys, and you will be impressed.

i'm a kinesiology major at asu and have become facinated with exercise phys... i have tried to take principles from what i've learned through years of competitive sports and the research articles that i've read... we do the exercises with weight vests (20-60lbs), ankle weights (5-10lbs each) and dip belt (upto ~180lbs). we also do supersets, negatives and plyo's. this week we are going to try HIIT training w/ the progressions to mix it up. wish us luck...

and that list of feats is impressive... but i can beat a couple of the guys on there (Malcom Brenner and Ed Kreusser)... i can do 30+ L-pull-ups @ ~240lbs and my buddy has done ring dips with 180lbs weighing ~320lbs (total weight of 500lbs)... not nearly as impressive as most of the guys on that list though... when we finally get our goals i'll be sure to post some youtube clips...