Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bridging Questions

305pelusa

Hello everyone!

I usually do Bridging twice a week. They served as my pushing move (because of the difficulty placed on the triceps and deltoids). However, I started developing some slight shoulder pain whenever I locked out at the top of a Bridge.

Here's the funny thing. Handstands are not painful at all. Wall Extensions (at least my limited ROM) are painless. Even Stick dislocates don't hurt. When I do bridging, however, it's all good until I hit the max top part, and BAM it hurts. I'm guessing that the deltoid is very hyperextended here (as compared to Handstands) so it actually hurts. My questions:

1) What should I drop from my training? Only the Bridging (meaning, only what causes pain), or everything dealing with the deltoid (even if it doesn't hurt)?

2) How do gymnasts usually incorporate Bridging into their regimen? During the mobility part at the end?

3) Is Bridging even worth doing, or are handstands and shoulder mobility enough to get a shoulder to its full ROM?

As of now, I'm taking the Bridging down, and putting Pseudo-Planche Push-ups (far more of a Push move anyways), but I wanted to know if I should also drop the Handstands and WE's. Anyone had any problems like this before??

Thanks!

what are WE's?

No, you should not drop the HS work.

What angle is your bridge at? Just sounds like you are very tight in your shoulders.

Gymnasts often do bridges in their WU and if they are girls they do a lot of walkovers on beam and floor, the boys not so much.

They may do some towards the end of the workout in a stretching program but not always.

what are WE's?

No, you should not drop the HS work.

What angle is your bridge at? Just sounds like you are very tight in your shoulders.

Gymnasts often do bridges in their WU and if they are girls they do a lot of walkovers on beam and floor, the boys not so much.

They may do some towards the end of the workout in a stretching program but not always.

Oh, sorry. WE= Wall extensions!

As far as the angle goes, it's at the very least as open as it is during Handstands. Probably more, since it's painful during bridging, but not with handstands.

I've never had problems with bridging, but since I added the extra shoulder work like stick dislocates, wall extensions and handstands two weeks ago, boom, the top part is now painful.

Could it be that I'm being too ambitious with the should mobility?

Should I drop it? I know I'll keep the handstands, but what about the dislocates and wall extensions?

Thanks for the help so far man!