Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Three Quick-Fix FSP Questions

Jon Douglas

Hi all, I haven't yet posted much at all but have been following and WODding for a long while. Much thanks to Coach and everyone giving good advice around here, I've had all my questions answered by reading up until this.

I've eased back on straight-arm statics due to an over-use injury or two (fully rehabbed now). I'm currently doing ring adv l-sits, full back and front levers for a max(ish) of 35, 10 and 9 seconds respectively, with probably close to another 3-5 seconds on each if I pushed to failure.

My questions are;

1. I notice the recommended pre-req for l-sits is a solid minute. Am I being over-cautious in building up to a minute on rings before heading onto focused straddle-l work? It's not difficult for me to do it for a minute on PB or floor, but on rings the support gives out first in . Would I do better by spending more time in support and adding straddle-l work? Or is this something to persevere through and build support and static strength before heading on?

2. In the same way, I had planned to build up to 15-30 seconds on back lever before beginning planche work. Is this over-cautious, and could I be missing out on benefits by going slowly?

3. This one is getting ahead of myself probably, and is less asking for advice than wanting to know more about progression. I *really* like front levers and the way they feel, especially afterwards :) What sort of time should I be working towards, given that I have the intention of moving onto advanced ring strength when I eventually get there? I had the idea of (long-term) building up to 20ish seconds and weighting my ankles down to a 10-ish max. Any thoughts?

I appreciate any ideas , and thanks in advance :)

I am not Completely Knowledgeable but I will try and help you out as best I can. I am assuming you have a 3x60s solid l-sit. If so then as part of your warm up you shoudl (on the floor or p-bars) do 1x60s. When you start your workout for the day on the rings (again this is only assuming you have surpassed the 3x60s prerequisite) i think its ok, especially if you are doing advanced on rings, to do 3x30s. But even then I am not 100% sure.

For the back lever, if you can hold a full lay out, then waiting until you hit 15-30s is very cautions and in most cases I am always on the side of over-cautious, but in this caseyou can at least start doing the frog stand or advanced frog stand. becasue the planche takes so long to do solidly, it is not very common for someone to get a full layout planche before a full layout back lever.

With the front levers, if i am not mistaken, if you can do 3x15s full lay front lever then you can progress to the next advance ring strength and use 1x30s. If you can do 3x15s, then you will want to do 1 set of 30s as part of your warm up

I hope this helped

-Ian

For the first body positions up to straddle, hit 60s in frog and advanced frog, tuck and advanced tuck for planche; whereas for the levers build up to 60s in tuck, advanced tuck. After straddle, 15s suffices though I maintained the ability to hit 60s in straddle and 1/2 lever mainly because I chose to do so as I was quite wary about BL due to my shoulders and elbow.