Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lol! Question about lower body mass

Quick Start Test Smith

Quick Start Test Smith

I have just a few short questions that I hope someone can answer for me.

My primary posterior chain exercises (outside of sprints) are GHR (single leg and regular) and FSP (bridges, arch holds, etc). I used to do deadlifting (which was a ton of fun) but my lower back would get tense and clench up after sets, so I stopped.

Anyway, I want to avoid unnecessarily increasing the size of my butt. Basically. Not for vanity purposes (only). Any extra mass on my lower body that I will accept having will be in my calves and hams. The front of my legs are fairly well developed already I think.

Can anyone give me any tips on minimizing this? I'm doing 5x5 superset A + B of SLS/super deep split squats + GHR (SL or norm).

It may help to see my training overview, so here it is:

• * Strict lean gains (heavy day +300 kcal, light day -300 kcal) (heavy day - low fat, high pro, high carb) (light day - medium fat, high pro, low carb) - 4 light days and 3 heavy days
    * 3 times a week strength (M, W, F) - about 1.5-2 hours each session (Wednesday = heavy FSP day with FSP WU and 10 minutes of stomach to wall HS (work:rest ratio = 1:3 ex. if I hold 20 seconds, I rest a minute) and another 10 minutes for bridge (should I do arch up hold for this instead?)
    * 1-2 times a week sprint/heavy bag work blitz intervals (tabata as well as a few 1-2 minute intervals)
    * 1 time a week long kicking and punching practice routine (about 1000 kicks and punches) - steady pace, not really endurance, just basic work capacity.

Thanks a lot :)

Philip Chubb

Basically make sure you're not eating to gain size and if you really want, cutting out the eccentrics to exercises helps take away the time under tension and keep your body from cycling through all its fibers. I don't know if that causes any adverse effects though. I used to do it but now I do the eccentrics too and my legs still haven't grown as long as I don't do heavy squats. Bodyweight tends to grow them to a certain level then stall. Otherwise, you would see bodybuilders doing nothing but sls and ghr.

Quick Start Test Smith

But I DO want to gain weight in my upper body and calves a bit. Do you think a heavy GHR static hold at locked out position for time would be preferable to the eccentric reps?

Monst of your Leg Work is either conditioning-oriented (iE Sprints) oder purely strength-oriented (5x5), so you shouldn't gain much mass anyway.

If you do, decrease the rep range you are working with and add a bit of weight.

I am in a similiar Situation. I always had very developed Quads and they basically exploded when I started rowing in College. Nowadays my only leg work is basically two or three Rounds of Tabata-Squats with 10kg of added weight and Sprints.

Quick Start Test Smith

Thanks, Rower.

I'll stick to what I'm doing, then, and see what happens.

Philip Chubb

I don't know how you have been training but you may want to do some specific work if you want to make your calves bigger specificly.

Quick Start Test Smith

I'm doing 3x50 weighted calf raises plus isometric contractions three times a week. They're growing :)