Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Functional Movement

Larry Roseman

Larry Roseman

I've just had a functional movement (FMS) assessment performed which

is based on Gray Cook's approach, who is a PT+.

http://graycookmovement.com/ : lots of videos - general and specific infomation.

http://functionalmovement.com/ : the rehab exercises

It's not geared specifically for gymnastics, and I don't even know if it would apply.

I mainly went for my imbalances that I feel are leading to recurring injuries especially from running.

There are rehab exercises (fun) that depend upon the specific diagnosis.

Have any of you run across this or used it before, or have a knowledgable opinion of it?

Thank you!

I spent some time looking into it. I don't think its an entirely bad idea but its hard to say if its perfect or not, moreover in principle it is only a screen, not meant for diagnosis, in fact there is the SFMA that you should be referred to if you have a poor score on the screen.

I am very curious what happens in practice, and i know that there is some concern among the PTs i follow that the FMA is being oversold.

I would be very interested in a more detailed account of your experiences.

Larry Roseman

Btw, there is an 5 part video on chapter 3 by Dr Ed Thomas. It's nothing to do with FM but a historical lecture of physical culture, which touches on gymnastics in many places.

My experience with FM may be something out o the norm as I am going through a chiro teaching college, and the intern really

is learning and performing the assessment on the fly. She has the supervision of her mentor who I believe is

certified or at least capable in the assessment and system.

There were about 6 motions that I had to perform, and I guess I will be graded upon. For example

had to stand on 1 foot and and extend the other one and step over a string across a doorway. Another

was a single leg lift. Another was a squat with a pole over and behind my head. Another was twisting with

a pole on my shoulders to maximum in both directions while sitting.

I'm thinking that is the screening.

She told me that she is reviewing the results and will be recommending certain rehab exercises in a few weeks.

I guess that's the assessment. but I'm not sure. I'll ask!

That's where things are right now!

I've really gotten some good stuff from Dr. Thomas. Indian Clubs being my favorite, he has a very old school site with some good information for anyone interested in digging through.

http://ihpra.org/index.htm

I will give that series a look, i hadn't seen it before.

I'm hoping that the consult you had was free, or discounted. Three weeks is a mighty long time to get back to you.

I think that Gray has his heart in the right place, and lot of the material that i've seen from him is excellent, but how to part out that kind of system and make it work is another matter.

Larry Roseman

Yeah, I don't really know how good it is. What I do like is that it at least purports to look at the big picture,

rather than just the particular nagging issue in isolation. Because everything is pretty much interconnected,

and working on the cause is going to be more effective in the long run than merely working on the symptom.

I don't know if the system really gets to the root of the matter, and may never know. But if it helps better than

anything else has, it is something of an indication. The price is right so not much to lose.

A few weeks delay is fine because I'm pretty busy training for a 5K being held in a few weeks. It's not high-level training,

but I don't want to confuse my limited motor neurons by mixing in new motions at this time anyway :)

• 1 month later...
Larry Roseman

Started the remedial movements just two weeks ago.

Starting with one the first week, adding another the second week. Every day.

1. Deep lunges with twist each way at the bottom. 10 reps different leg forward.

I had difficulty going down in the lunge smoothly, and had some balance issues in the screen, which is why I think this was assigned.

2. Squat from upright position with hands on toes, at bottom of squat lift one arm up, straight and behind

and then the other, like you're holding a bar after a snatch maybe. 10 reps.

I had difficulty keeping my upper body from tilting forward in the screen so I think that is why this was assigned.

As well as some upper body flexiblity issues.

Can't say if it has made a difference yet. Too early to say. Plus other things change at the same time.

However, no injuries running lately. Then again not running a lot, maybe 7 miles a week in total, mixture of slow and fast.

When volume goes up, injuries are more likely to follow. Don't want to run a lot now to give the therapy a chance

to take hold, and just because.

Joshua Naterman

If you only did 6 measures then you probably scored poorly enough to not warrant the full screen in their eyes. Either that or they just didn't do all the tests... I believe there are 10 movements in the full FMS, not including a pistol which USED to be in there.

There are a number of functional screenings and they are excellent if used and applied properly, but that really depends heavily on the examiner having a very detailed understanding of anatomy and knowing all the different underlying dysfunctions that COULD be causing the problems they see, and also being able to see the small stuff.

For example, my girlfriend got examined a month ago and they missed all kinds of small stuff that was PLAINLY obvious, such as her feet unwillingly turning out as she descended in a bodyweight squat and a slight kyphosis that both she AND I know is there and is a part of why she had some wrist problems... Chiros are not as well versed in the muscle side of things as they should be, and I don't know why. All I can think is that they ALL seem to think that bone position is everything, which is not true.

Athletic trainers will see more of the muscle side of things, and are honestly more suited to the muscular side of musculoskeletal problems in general because that is their specialty. Applied functional anatomy is very tricky.

Larry Roseman
If you only did 6 measures then you probably scored poorly enough to not warrant the full screen in their eyes. Either that or they just didn't do all the tests... I believe there are 10 movements in the full FMS, not including a pistol which USED to be in there.

There are a number of functional screenings and they are excellent if used and applied properly, but that really depends heavily on the examiner having a very detailed understanding of anatomy and knowing all the different underlying dysfunctions that COULD be causing the problems they see, and also being able to see the small stuff.

For example, my girlfriend got examined a month ago and they missed all kinds of small stuff that was PLAINLY obvious, such as her feet unwillingly turning out as she descended in a bodyweight squat and a slight kyphosis that both she AND I know is there and is a part of why she had some wrist problems... Chiros are not as well versed in the muscle side of things as they should be, and I don't know why. All I can think is that they ALL seem to think that bone position is everything, which is not true.

Athletic trainers will see more of the muscle side of things, and are honestly more suited to the muscular side of musculoskeletal problems in general because that is their specialty. Applied functional anatomy is very tricky.

Hey thanks for your thoughts!

That's correct - they tested only six movements. They aren't doing the bigger functional movement assessment there. The FMS was something they pulled out of the hat because I was bugging them a lot about recurring issues. So their experience in it is limited, however I'm counting on them being fast learners to make up for it :)

Seriously, in their defense I believe the training, in Canada at least, now focuses a lot on the muscular and fascial side. I've been going for about a year, and had adjustments to only 3 areas (the cubiod bone in the foot was the strangest one but worked amazingly well). The others, not so sure about, lol. But the great majority the work has been active release, graston, mobility and assisted stretching. My clinician also acts as a trainer for a local rugby team, so hopefully you're right that this will help with the remedial work.

I'm also adjusting my running gait to take shorter, faster steps closer to 180 steps per minute. Obviously shorter steps help avoid heel striking, positions the legs under the torso more and keeps them from extending too far back. One problem I've had before, usually when fatigued, is pushing off while my knee is kind of hyperextended, creating eccectric stress and the occassional strain, I feel.

Only time will tell!

Best of luck with your GF's issues :)

FIN