Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wall HS Stomach to wall

Troy Rodriguez

Troy Rodriguez

I have issues where it seems some of my students have a hard time getting their arms by their ears after walking up to a wall HS. Is there some way to do stomach to wall HS with good arm form besides just trying to feel it? It just seems like they use a lot of strength getting into correct position and then don't have too much more to complete the holds.

Also which is more important? Concentrate on bodyline or on hand position, or both equal?

Troy Rodriguez

Nope. I mean they are using.most of their strength doing the cast walk to get up the wall. Then when they get there their arms are more spread out than they should be and they have a hard time correcting it once they are in position.

Richard Duelley

I would say just have them do more cast wall walks and other FBEs to build up the strength and then start on the wall holds once they can get into position a bit more easily.

Troy Rodriguez

That's what I was thinking as well and have been having them do them. In a cast wall walk should they maintain some kind of arm width or just push where they can to get up the wall in a hollow?

Yup, the only thing to do is to practice stuff like that until they have enough strength and endurance. I was training a guy who at first couldn't hold it facing the wall for more than like 5 seconds. Didn't have time to correct his form or anything, cause his shoulders would get tired too fast and he'd roll out of it. After a few trainings, maybe a week or so, he got able to stay there long enough to fix a bit his position, and after two weeks, he was getting better, and still is by now. He got able to relax a bit and breathe, too.

Why not have them do partials? Walk up 70% of the way, and back down. As they get stronger, move closer and closer

Troy Rodriguez

Really they can all hold hollow 1min handstands with fingers 4"or less from the wall. But once in position they can't bring their arms close to their ears or narrow their arms. Just keep drilling them on direct position and move it inch by inch closer? Maybe I'll just send a video example tomorrow.

Have them do a few HS sets with their legs at 90 degree angle and toes on a box. This will allow them to integrate the back muscle awareness and you can help them work on the push necessary to bring the arms to the ears. Next progression would be with one leg raised at a time. Also, as Coach has pointed out, bridge with feet raised on a box is also a good way to teach the arms to the ears.