Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ankle pain-help?

Cags

I was conditioning upper body at the gym about a week ago and one of the older gymnasts suggested a leg conditioning routine called the ring of fire. (each exercise was a lap around the floor. broad jumps, punching, one legged punching right, one leg punching left, squat jumps). I am in a military program that requires alot of running and i noticed a 2 minute add on to my mile from a sore ankle the next day. I got out of my rack on the third day and my ankle was horribly swollen and it refused to work.

I am seeing out an orthopedist on thursday afternoon but until then I am on crutches. Is this from straining my ankle or from not stretching enough or is this just using a muscle for the first time and overworking it?

Any guesses on what I did or what I can do will be helpful.

Ryan

I was conditioning upper body at the gym about a week ago and one of the older gymnasts suggested a leg conditioning routine called the ring of fire. (each exercise was a lap around the floor. broad jumps, punching, one legged punching right, one leg punching left, squat jumps). I am in a military program that requires alot of running and i noticed a 2 minute add on to my mile from a sore ankle the next day. I got out of my rack on the third day and my ankle was horribly swollen and it refused to work.

I am seeing out an orthopedist on thursday afternoon but until then I am on crutches. Is this from straining my ankle or from not stretching enough or is this just using a muscle for the first time and overworking it?

Any guesses on what I did or what I can do will be helpful.

Ryan

A guess is right.

It sounds like you turned an ankle, and maybe didn't realise it with the adrenaline rush. Is it swollen on the outside or the inside?

Were you running in the gym on concrete or cushioned or rebound surface?

If it were a minor strain, then running the mile the next day might have aggrevated it.

In any event have you elevated and iced it? Used an ace bandage at night to compress it (not too tight)?

If it's not very painful then it should clear up on its own, but go see the doctor anyway.

I was running on spring surfaces, padded, and the mile was on concrete and on dirt. I saw the doc on Thursday and he said it was "soft tissue damage" and the pain has expanded up to my upper inner shin and outer ankle. The doc said it will have me out for about two more weeks. Is there anything I can do to help speed up the process?

Ryan

Larry Roseman

s

I was running on spring surfaces, padded, and the mile was on concrete and on dirt. I saw the doc on Thursday and he said it was "soft tissue damage" and the pain has expanded up to my upper inner shin and outer ankle. The doc said it will have me out for about two more weeks. Is there anything I can do to help speed up the process?

Ryan

Concrete is the worst.

Does is seem swolen or warm? Exertional compartment syndrome in the calf is pretty common.

It's really just temporary swelling but it can cause pain. Unlike acute compartment syndrome

it is not a life and death thing requiring surgery. I would expect your Dr. would have check for that.

Alternating heat and cold treatments should help.

If it's not too painful I would try to palpate the muscle(s) involved.

Some oil or cream may help.

Run your Fingers along the length of the muscle and work it in the direction of the grain.

If you find a sore spot, stop and work on it - sometimes it feels like there's a pebble or a knot

in there. Sometimes it disappears with massage and along with it the pain.

It sounds like it may be the post tib, which runs under the shin, sometimes causing "shin splints".

I think that is an weak exetensor but is an important stabalizer muscle. If it was in a weakened state it could lead to an ankle

turn more easily. Or it may have been strained after the fact.

Keep in mind I only know what I know from having had injuries.

I am required to run on concrete because of a school program I am in. It is slightly swollen and I can walk on it but it is very stiff and painful when I start to walk. I can run but there is some pain though I can not punch for any skill. Trying to massage the muscles and it is sore near the bones of the ankle and the back of the leg just under the gastrocnemius above the ankle. The pain is in in the joint and the muscle. My doctor gave me the the ensign shrug when I told him this.

I am using a rubber strip to stretch and "rehab" the muscle. Continuing the Ice\Hot baths for the ankle and the ACE wraps.

Thanks and gig'em

Ryan

Larry Roseman
I am required to run on concrete because of a school program I am in. It is slightly swollen and I can walk on it but it is very stiff and painful when I start to walk. I can run but there is some pain though I can not punch for any skill. Trying to massage the muscles and it is sore near the bones of the ankle and the back of the leg just under the gastrocnemius above the ankle. The pain is in in the joint and the muscle. My doctor gave me the the ensign shrug when I told him this.

I am using a rubber strip to stretch and "rehab" the muscle. Continuing the Ice\Hot baths for the ankle and the ACE wraps.

Thanks and gig'em

Ryan

If it's painful when you walk on it, you certainly shouldn't be running on it. I hope you are able to get out of that concrete running until the pain subsides or It will continually aggrevate it and it will be hard to recover.

If you are still in pain walking in another week you should try to find a therapist who does soft tissue work, ART for example. If you are near a big city, you may be able to find a school that does treatments at a redued oost...