Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tricks to the floor L-sit?

Aaron Griffin

My L-sit isn't exactly the greatest (30-45s max depending on the day), but the one thing I cannot seem to do is lift myself properly when on the floor. I can do it on parallettes, or between two chairs, or on rings - anything that gives me open air where my torso is.

What am I missing here? Is this simply a limb-length thing? Should I be pressing up onto finger tips? Or fist, even?

What does one need to do to get a flat-handed floor l-sit?

Can you lift up your butt of the floor but keeping legs on the ground ? if you can, then length of your arms is not a problem. Work only that first (butt of the floor and down - pushing strength) for 1 min or repeat at least 3x20 times, then do it slowly with strong abs compression .after that include one leg at the time. On the other hand, keep your butt on the floor, and lift only legs, keep yor body straight or move forward to your legs. If its hard, lift just one leg, and then both. This exercises will build your pushing strength, abs compression, and hips strength. Forget bars, parralletas, etc...Nothing compares to the floor.

Philip Papandrea

hi,

I've been in the same boat as phrak and I always blamed my long torso and short arms but i just did your test of lifting my butt off the floor with my palms flat and was able to do it so I guess i don't have an excuse anymore. And, Wow!I just felt the strongest abdominal cramp i've ever felt from doing this drill. The other drill of lifting my legs up only is doable if i move my hands foward. I will have to wait on this though since it really irratates my pec which I can't figure out why but thats another story. Anyway thanks for the tips.

Phil

I've been in the same boat as phrak and I always blamed my long torso and short arms but i just did your test of lifting my butt off the floor with my palms flat and was able to do it so I guess i don't have an excuse anymore.

Same for me. I had it in my head that my arms were too short. Then I lifted my butt up (a very small amount, but still up), and kinda felt stupid.

Lekman, do you think it'd be worth it to rep leg lifts from this position, or should it be done as static holds?

I've been in the same boat as phrak and I always blamed my long torso and short arms but i just did your test of lifting my butt off the floor with my palms flat and was able to do it so I guess i don't have an excuse anymore.

Same for me. I had it in my head that my arms were too short. Then I lifted my butt up (a very small amount, but still up), and kinda felt stupid.

Lekman, do you think it'd be worth it to rep leg lifts from this position, or should it be done as static holds?

If you have problems with your static holds in any position, then stick with reps first to build strength. When you feel stronger, and 3x20 is not a problem for you, include static holds at the end of every rep. Just to mention, if you have cramps, anyway gradually build up to 3x20. Dont rush the process, and you will build l sit on the floor. Also, your flexibility in hamstrings and back will drastically improve. Use the same principles for straddle L sit. Give yourself a time for all of this. Be patient. This has strong carryover to other exercises, like press to hs, planche, etc

Can you lift up your butt of the floor but keeping legs on the ground ? if you can, then length of your arms is not a problem. .....

Really cant blaim my hands being too short from now on :) I mean i can do a proper RTO L-sit with good form, but on the floor it has been ridiculously hard for me. I´ts light week for me now, so ill just train press handstands and this GTG style with alot of stretching.

Thank you, u gave me alot of motivation and hope!

Richard Duelley

You really need to press your shoulders down, like you are trying to press your hands through the floor. You can also try just doing a tuck sit on the floor and then gradually trying to extend your legs. Usually tucking things and then working on extending out is a good way to go. Its likely that your shoulders just arent strong enough to extend downward all the way, or your flexibility is keeping you from extending your legs out or a combo of both.

You should of had a solid floor L-sit before you got the RTO L-sit :D

I can do it on my fingertips on the floor no problem, so i guess i just never bothered to train it the (obviously) hard way. in fact before just today, i think ive tried it only few times in my life, since i remember it giving my wrists a hard time when i started gymnastics about 2years ago, and on fingertips it was much easier :roll:

its always a great feeling to find a weak link and then go on improving it!