Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wrist push-ups, elbow issues

MTO

Hi!

Last time I wrote, it was about a wrist injury. One that didn't let me do ANY axial loading on an extended wrist, so I had to quit doing capoeira. Then I discovered bouldering (climbing difficult short-distance routes), which my wrist was fine with, and which I fell in love with very quickly. Well, now my wrist is practically as good as new, but I have a new problem. Around the time I discovered bouldering, I thought I'd start taking better care of my wrists, doing Coach's wrist routine once a day, training false grip on a pull-up bar and such, all with very low intensity.

Well, one day my elbow started clicking whenever I did wall wrist push-ups. I was being EXTREMELY careful, standing very close to the wall, putting almost no weight on it. Soon after this, my elbow started hurting, became a bit swollen, and I had to take a few weeks break from climbing. Fair enough, I thought, I'd probably overdone it yet again. Now I'm getting back into climbing, and have no problems with it whatsoever - BUT, even now, very light wall wrist push-ups (standing so close that my arms and the wall are at a 90 degree angle), I get that click in the elbow when pushing back out, just 20-30 degrees before my arms are straight, and a slightly uncomfortable feeling afterwards.

I just can't wrap my head around being able to climb the things I climb, do virtually any other exercise, but I can't do a single wall wrist push-up. I can't even see how I would be able to scale them down even more.

Does anyone have any idea about what the hell happened to my elbow? :(

MTO

Bruno Cochofel

Are you warming-up properly before doing all of those things? Especially joints?

Climbing can be very tough because of all those explosive movements, especially for the shoulders and elbows. Sometimes we just hang in a not so confortable position and we are stressing out the joints.. Maybe you should warm-up properly before all those activities and work on your mobility ;-)

Are you warming-up properly before doing all of those things? Especially joints?

Climbing can be very tough because of all those explosive movements, especially for the shoulders and elbows. Sometimes we just hang in a not so confortable position and we are stressing out the joints.. Maybe you should warm-up properly before all those activities and work on your mobility ;-)

Well, yes. I thought the wrist routine (especially scaled down as much as I've done) is warm-up by itself. But as my elbow started giving me trouble, I tried warming up my elbows really well even before doing the wall wrist push-ups as I described them: it still clicked. It's like it's just the movement itself, not the weight put on it that makes it "click", that's what frightens me a bit.