Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

upcoming Australian seminar

Blythe Tait

Hi, everyone.

I haven't received any updates or info recently about the upcoming seminars in Melbourne, and I was going to email Coach just to check all is on track, but I thought some of you out there might also be wondering or may have more info.

Has any info been sent out since the initial welcome email? Are we still all systems go? Any news on the host hotel?? Is there anything else I need to know or do?

Blythe,

Good suggestion, here is the most current scheduling information for the Melbourne Seminar:

HOST HOTEL:

There is not an official host hotel for this seminar; however I and my staff will be staying at Bayview on the Park which is a few minutes walk from the seminar facility:

Bayview On The Park

52 Queens Road

Melbourne, VIC 3004

Australia

phone: 61-3-9243 9999

http://www.bayviewhotels.com/bayviewonthepark/

MEET AND GREET:

My staff and I are scheduled to arrive Thursday morning in Melbourne. We have nothing official planned for Thursday evening, however if someone would like to take the lead on selecting or recommending a favorite pub or restaurant convenient to Bayview on the Park for people to get together at around 6:00 or 6:30pm that would be great.

This link contains a list of restaurants near Bayview on the Park

SEMINAR LOCATION:

Wesley College

577 St Kilda Rd

Melbourne Australia

SEMINAR HOURS:

Fri Sept 30 9:00-5:00, Sat Oct 1 9:00-5:00, Sun Oct 2 9:00-3:00

EVENING SOCIAL ACTIVITIES:

One of the best parts of the seminars is getting together in the evenings, however as Melbourne is not my hometown; for these we will depend on the local attendees to give us the heads up for the best choices.

AFTER SEMINAR:

My staff and I are not departing until Tuesday morning and are planning on spending Sunday afternoon and all of Monday enjoying the sights of Melbourne and the surrounding areas. Please feel free to join us if your schedule allows.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Gavin Strelitz

I'm flying in late on Thursday night, so will catch you guys at the seminar on Friday morning.

Melbourne is a great city for live music and bars so we should be able to find some cool spots over the weekend. I can't recommend anything as I don't live in Melbourne but there are a few forum members who should be able to point us in the right direction.

Nic Scheelings

Hi guys,

Only one week to go, getting exciting! As for on thurs night, if the weather is good I suggest we go to the belgian beer garden on the corner of high st and st kilda rd. beautiful place to have a beer and soak up some spring sunshine. Another thing I was thinking was for the mon if people were interested we could go to healesville sanctuary, which is bout an hour outside melb. Amazing native wildlife and my brother is a vet there so if your lucky you might see a baby platypus the cutest animal on the planet.

Other than that I say we try and find somewhere replaying the grand final on sat night. Go cats :)!

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Joshua Naterman

Oh you guys are so lucky!!!

I am jealous! :) I can't wait to see how our Australian GB brothers and sisters like the Seminars!

Thanks for the info, Coach!

I'm a Tassie resident now, so I can't help with ideas for Melbourne. I'm bringing my family with me to see the Tutankhamun exhibit at the Melbourne museum as it is the last time it will be travelling around the world. All the suggested activities so far sound great.

Slizzardman, I was hoping you would be coming!!! Disappointed to hear you won't.

I wonder if everyone else is doing the WODs a week behind, like me...

Exciting!!

Joshua Naterman

Sadly no, it's the middle of the semester and there's absolutely no way I could swing that with all the tests!

Depending on the age of everyone, i think we should make an attempt to visit Rooftop bar in the city. Great atmosphere, drinks and views of Melbourne. Not to mention its free entry

Nic Scheelings

Unfortunately the weather is not looking fantastic for thurs night or the weekend, looks like our American visitors are going to get a nice taste of crappy melbourne weather.

We could still go to Belgian beer garden but the weather may mean it's unpleasant if it's windy and/or raining. Therefore I was thinking of going somewhere else maybe the college Lawn hotel on Greville st? If anyone else has any other suggestions lay them out there. College Lawn is ok tho, food can be a touch pricey if people want to eat, but other than that it is a nice place.

Adam Bodestyne

Wheee, well, I'll be flying to Melbourne soon. Won't get there until late tonight, so will have to catch you all on Friday morning. Can't wait!

Nic Scheelings

For all who are looking to meet up tonight there's been a change of plans, we will just meet at the Bayview hotel at 6.30. The address was listed above.

Look forward to meeting everyone

For all who are looking to meet up tonight there's been a change of plans, we will just meet at the Bayview hotel at 6.30. The address was listed above.

Look forward to meeting everyone

Oh I had no idea there was a meet up already planned. I will try and get there on time! see you all soon!

Adam Bodestyne

Does anyone know yet from which side I should approach the college when I go there tomorrow morning? I just walked around the block trying to figure out where I'm going to have to go :P

Nic Scheelings

Thanners, approach via the punt rd entrance. You'll see a staircase straight ahead. upstairs is the gym. I prob should've put this on earlier oh well.

Unbelievable. After the plane arrived over an hour late, they are now telling us that the flight might be cancelled. Right now there's nothing to do but wait. :|

Adam Bodestyne
Unbelievable. After the plane arrived over an hour late, they are now telling us that the flight might be cancelled. Right now there's nothing to do but wait. :|

Whaaat? good grief. hope it all comes together -_-

The information in these seminars is incredible! I can see how much benefit there would be in attending these seminars on a regular basis, especially as you progress. I'm amazed at how much I have been doing a little bit wrong in my own training sessions (and how much I need to scale my workouts further than I have been!). InCREDible! I feel so lucky to have attended!

Julian Aldag

Wow! What a massive 3 days!! Was great to meet you all.

Big thanks to Nic for organizing everything on our side (Go Cats!!) Also a super thanks to both Coach and Dillon for finding time in their busy schedules to fly all the way down here and pass on their knowledge (and great stories!). I'm sure everyone feels the same.

Coach, as we would say in Australia, You're a top bloke.

Take Care,

Jules

P.s Did the Fosters live up to their reputation...? :P

The seminar was absolutely fantastic.

It was great to get some insight into what the ultimate aim of the progressions look like and also get the reality check of where you are right now. Be brutally honest with where you are, leave your ego at the door and be diligent in your training by addressing the fundamentals (as coach says "slop begets slop") and the benefits will come.

As Coach and many of the previous seminar attendees really hammer home DON"T PUSH IT TOO HARD. Take it slow and let time do its work and avoid injuries.

Quote of the weekend roughly paraphrased "If you are always starting over (through injury or boredom) then progress is non-existent".

What a wealth of information Coach and Dillon have to share and Dillon's demonstrations are really impressive.

Thanks Coach and Dillon I am truly grateful that you are willing to share this information with the not so gifted.

Thanks also to the other attendees for their help and refinements along the way. A great bunch of people.

Cheers

Simon

Nic Scheelings

It seems this thread is turning into a kind of review of the seminar. Anyway here are my thoughts.

The seminar was a fantastic three days. I loved getting to meet other people who have a similar interest to me and they really were a great bunch of people to train with.

I definitely have a lot of ideas of how to structure my training differently now and I think I've learnt how to fill in some of the gaps that I'm missing. Probably learning where your weaknesses are is one of the best parts of the seminar, although I knew what some of mine were, ones I weren't aware of definitely cropped up and now I can address them properly.

Without giving anything away the flexibilty, warm up and prehab work was awesome and has given me a wealth of new stuff to put in to my training. I'm hoping to make huge improvements in my flexibilty now, slowly and steadily of course :wink:

Also a few of the finer points on planche and front lever that I've never gathered before feel like real gold nuggets to me.

Thanks heaps to Coach and Dillon for coming out, I hope you guys enjoyed it here and you'll come again sometime. Other than that I would love to get to US seminar if I get a chance.

Cheers to all for making it a great seminar.

Nic

Gavin Strelitz

Demus has hit the nail on the head for me as well. I have found a good few weak points that need to be improved and I am working to re-structure my training accordingly.

I also wanted to thank Coach and Dillon for the three days of work and all the knowledge they bring to the table, and to Nick for organising the event from the Australian end.

Also, thanks to all the seminar participants for making it such an enjoyable three days. It was a great bunch of like minded people and that made it all the better.

Looking forward to the next one.

Cheers

Gavin

Adam Bodestyne

The seminar was totally worth it. Felt like I really learned a lot.

What did I learn? That i'm not prepared. (Enough. Yet.) But now I also know how I need to prepare myself.

It was very thorough. It felt well-structured. Demonstrations were great, and Coach and Dillon spent time on every element to make sure everyone understood what we were being taught. Very helpful.

Enjoyed the other parts where Coach would give anecdotes. While not strictly party of what we were learning, it gives even greater insight into the type of person that Coach is; it is good to know the sort of person whose information I am learning from. It also helped give some context to what we were being taught.

Others above me have mentioned the other attendees, and I have to agree that they also really made the seminar great.it's just nice that the people who attended were the sort of people who are very enthusiastic, both interested and interesting people, and I think this is indirectly a result of the culture that is encouraged on the GB forum.

Favorite Quote: the floor'll spot you just fine.