Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bodyweight leg extension exercise - Opinions?

Finn Frank

I was watching s gymnastic strength video and came across this movement I hadn't seen before. I was wondering what you're opinions on the movement were?

Check out around 0.18 - 0.26 although I think the rest of the video is worth a watch :)

1egn6D4T82E

Aaron Griffin

This guy seems pretty strong, yet even HE used a lot of momentum on that movement. Seems kinda cool, but inaccessible for a lot of people.

I dub this exercise the "Hanging Natural Leg Curl"

I guess you could do this with your torso tucked in. Keeping your body closer to the anchor might make it more accessible. I mean a full GHR without much momentum is pretty inaccessible for most of us :P

You could simply have the person sit closer to your knees to make it easier. I have thought about doing these with NLCs! Definitely something to take easy though so the knees don't get aggravated. I am wondering if the benefits are worth the time and risk.

@ Philip That is more or less what I was wondering, if the benifits of this movement would be worth the investment and potential risks or if its just a show off move :P

@ Philip That is more or less what I was wondering, if the benifits of this movement would be worth the investment and potential risks or if its just a show off move :P

Exactly! I also feel like if it was such a good variation and provided a lot of benefit, that Coach would have had it in the book. I am considering playing with it though because I am basically done the NLC progressions and almost want a new leg move to conquer :D

We have never done this movement. But it looks interesting IF someone were strong enough to handle it. If you do decide to experiment with it, please drop us a note later and let us know if the movement was worthwhile.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks for replying to this thread Coach, good to hear what you think. I will have a go if I'm strong enough and report back :). It will be good to hear anyone else's experience with this movement.

Thank you for responding Coach. I thought that you maybe thought the exercise was not worth the time. If that isn't the case, I think I will start today!

Well for my first post about it, I hung my rings on a banister that lets me use the ceiling above me as a workout machine. So the exercise works. If you want an idea about how hard it was, I had to use a rope and partially pull up to make it happen. :D . I can do a one legged GHR so this is going to compliment it well! I am not sure of how much it will transfer to other things though. Quads aren't supposed to help that much for jumping as opposed to the hamstrings.

• 3 months later...
Philip Chubb

I said I would write about these before and I have been doing them a while to the point where I don't really need the rope. I notice that I am jumping higher and the height of my tumbling has improved. I am actually not able to jump as hard as I could in my house because I am afraid of hitting my head on the ceiling.

Philip Chubb

Sure thing, my friend!

Edit: Neither my phone nor my moms will upload it to youtube...so much for a smart phone. I'll see if my girl's can when I get a chance.

• 3 weeks later...
Updates?

Well I did it for a while and now its only hard at the top. It helped a little I believe because I'm tumbling a lot higher. But that could be from all the other not so normal things that I'm doing.