Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

liquid steel™

elad

are the volumes mentioned in "building the gymnastics body" in existence? "liquid steel™" "the handstand chronicles"?

i would gladly like to hear more of it and probably purchase them as well.

gotta love gymnastics work!

elad

• 1 month later...
Randeep Walia

The post does not help: unless the message was that "people have been saying that will be coming out soon for over three years now so obviously it's not coming out for a long time, if ever."

It's sort of annoying only because BtGB is $45, which is a lot to spend only to read in more than one place that you need to refer to a non-existent volume to get a complete grasp of all the needed information. Plus my wrists are killing me! Bring on Liquid Steel™: I need it!

I can assure you that $45 is for the first book is no more than other books of the same nature.

Part of the cost is for a the author's lifetime of experience, and in the case of Gymnastic Bodies, the constant maintenance of the forum and WODs. Its a fair price, its up to the consumer to decide if they interested in the program enough to make the investment worth while.

If all the information were in one volume then the book would only cost that much more, and it would not be published yet. I'm very happy Coach went ahead and got the ball rolling. An enthusiastic person can find plenty of clues about Liquid Steel™ on the forum. The other volumes are not really relevant until one has a very good handle on the BtGB, with perhaps the exception of some handstanding work, which again can be found on the forum.

Coach Sommer is serious about the program, he's also used to working with Athletes for many years, the time it takes to get proficient enough for the more advanced work. There really is no big rush for the other material.

Finally you can't forget this is not Coach Sommer's main job, he is a Competitive coach who was an athlete on the US National team. That alone is an enormous task, add running GB and working on books has to be allowed to take some time.

John Sapinoso

@IcedDante, no need to be bitter about it man. BtGB is an abundant source of information, much, much more than anyone could master in the short few years it has been out. You don't need more information; you need more patience, more time, and to be honest: you need a tone check.

I'm willing to bet that the reason your wrists are killing you is because you jumped right into the most exotic skill you saw rather than following the progressions in the book or doing the WODs (which include wrist conditioning btw, do a forum search for wrist push ups...)

And 45$ is a lot to spend? Oh please, what price exactly do you think 40 years of experience from an elite gymnastics coach should fetch? You can not put a price on quality.

Be patient, be thankful, and get back to training.

SO much said in this sentence. So true. Well said Ts00nami! :D

-Ian

Randeep Walia
I'm willing to bet that the reason your wrists are killing you is because you jumped right into the most exotic skill you saw rather than following the progressions in the book or doing the WODs (which include wrist conditioning btw, do a forum search for wrist push ups...)

How much are you willing to bet? I'll gladly lay any sum on there- unless you classify muscle ups, back lever tucks, and false grip movements under the category of "exotic" skills.

And 45$ is a lot to spend? Oh please, what price exactly do you think 40 years of experience from an elite gymnastics coach should fetch? You can not put a price on quality.

$45 is a lot to spend for many people... and yet no where did I say that it was unreasonable or not worth it. I have gotten a lot out of the book and continue to learn more. But it's not my impression that Liquid Steel™ is the next level of BtGB. It is stated in a few places that it is a companion book and I don't think 3 years is an unreasonable deadline to expect. This is actually a problem with self-publishing.

Without a publishing house or editor to motivate a writer these deadlines can really go to excessive lengths.

I'm sure Coach Sommers is a great guy and he clearly knows his stuff, but rather than this general tone of complacency and silence among the board's senior members, a little more encouragement towards getting the next volume published might go a long way.

First, i don't think there is any reason to be angry over this. I read a veyr similar thread written by someone back in 2008 basically frustrated because BTGB had not come out yet. Very similar to this situation. The long and short of it is this, nobody can make coach Sommer go any faster. He is busy. period. If he decided "screw it, the first book was enough for people" and wanted to stop, that would be a choice he could make. There would be a lot of disappointment but still. Mr. Brady, Slizz, Blairbob, Dillon, Gregor, none of them can make him go faster. Even if they all sent him emails every day 5 or six times. Please don't misunderstand, I am not mad nor am I making fun, although it may seem like it because there are no emotions when typing.

I do agree that $45 dollars is a lot of money for some people. I have no money. I can't even by the rings because its outside my budget. But someone on here was nice enough to give me the book. Just sent it over to me. But the fact is, there is so much information in the book and the website combined, that even if no other edition came out for 5 years, I woulds till be working with BtGB. I had to go off this web site for two months before recieving the book. But the web site did help me a great deal.

The bottom line is, there is nothing anyone can do. Coach is very very busy. Between seminars, his athletes, his home life and other things i am sure, these books probably do not come ahead of them. It will get done, and we will all be wonderfully happy when it does, but just go to the Joint and felxability Prep Section of this website if u want wrist warm ups. That's where i got all of mine and they are getting more and more flexible. We all want the books to come out, but there is nothing any of us can do to speed up the process, so just be patient.

-Ian

Actually tsoonami has a point. Those skills may seem basic, but if you aren't used to them, and I am not saying you aren't, but if you aren't they might as well be exotic. There is already some good information on wrist prep. I had some issues with my wrist too. Now I never have any, know what it took, I had to put my ego aside, stop training the more fun movements for a bit and just focus on wrist prep. Instead of the hours I like to spend on equilibre, I spent a few minutes on my wrist. What I thought would be a chronic injury turned into something that just needs a little warm up each day.

If BTGB had cost even more I would've saved pennies on the street until I made enough to buy it. The money spent is well worth the time I will save on the progressions. And until someone figures out a way to buy more time, efficiency is the next best thing.

Aaron Griffin
How much are you willing to bet? I'll gladly lay any sum on there- unless you classify muscle ups, back lever tucks, and false grip movements under the category of "exotic" skills.

Kind of, yeah. How are your PB and ring support holds? German hang? Arch hold? Can you do 60s holds of all these without it being a max attempt?

I guess the anxiety and frustration comes from the fact that BtGB is not a complete, stand-alone program, at least gymnastic-wise. Mobilization, stretching, and Handstand work are the main things that could be added to make a totally complete program that could keep someone busy for decades.

However, 2 things stand out. BtGB is the MOST stand-alone of them all. It covers legs, core, static and dynamic work. Far more than any other Calisthenics book out there (except for maybe Never Gymless, because it focuses in conditioning much more). Liquid Steel™ or The Handstand Chronicles, by themselves, would be underwhelming.

The second thing is that ALL the basic info you need from Liquid Steel™ and the Handstands is ALREADY in this website. While I would surely make faster progress having a full in-depth understanding of Handstands, I'm following a program (helped by many of the helpful people here) where I feel I'll easily get by until the book comes out. Same thing with mobility work.

AT the very least, let's remember that Coach didn't leave the Liquid and Handstand part "in the air". He definitely addressed it (and many of its moderators do) on this website, which definitely makes up for it.

Randeep Walia
First, i don't think there is any reason to be angry over this. I read a veyr similar thread written by someone back in 2008 basically frustrated because BTGB had not come out yet. Very similar to this situation. The long and short of it is this, nobody can make coach Sommer go any faster. He is busy. period. If he decided "screw it, the first book was enough for people" and wanted to stop, that would be a choice he could make. There would be a lot of disappointment but still. Mr. Brady, Slizz, Blairbob, Dillon, Gregor, none of them can make him go faster. Even if they all sent him emails every day 5 or six times. Please don't misunderstand, I am not mad nor am I making fun, although it may seem like it because there are no emotions when typing.

...but there is nothing any of us can do to speed up the process, so just be patient.

-Ian

I'm not angry- not sure why you think I am. I mean it's a text reply on a message board but some people seem to be assuming that my tone is belligerent or angry when I am just making a point. Maybe I should try putting more smiley faces at the end of my sentences :)

Your reply is one of the few honest answers I've seen on this subject though: because instead of telling people "be patient, they're coming soon!" or, "don't ask when they're coming because then it will only take longer!"or other specious rebuttles a more honest "no one knows" or "no one is telling" would suffice and would at least stop sowing confusion. :)

As far as no one being able to speed up the process, I don't know if anyone here has a personal relationship with the coach, but if they did I am sure the process could be sped up with a little teamwork, an assistant writer or what not (if the will was there). If just a page every 3 or 4 days was written since the first book, LS would be ready for primetime (assuming it was going to be as long as BtGB).

But yes: it is up to Coach Sommer, and yes for all anyone knows he may decide to scrap the project altogether. I sure hope he doesn't though! One more smiley face for the road: :D

Iced at 9 posts into the forum you've essentially called me and all the other mods here placating liars.

I have no idea what kind of answer you expect, its like you would walk into my house with out knowing me and tell me i have the wrong brand of toilet paper and expect me to give you a detailed answer why i prefer brand x over your brand.

You get the same answer everyone gets, because that's the only answer there is.

I'm not going to talk about conversations i've had about this behind the scenes, its private, simple as that.

You get the same answer everyone gets, because that's the only answer there is.

I'm not going to talk about conversations i've had about this behind the scenes, its private, simple as that.

Very concise and to the point. I like this answer.

-Ian

Aaron Griffin
its like you would walk into my house with out knowing me and tell me i have the wrong brand of toilet paper and expect me to give you a detailed answer why i prefer brand x over your brand.

Charmin Ultra. That is all

To all those complaining about timeframes etc re next book volumes - chill out and stop taking yourselves so seriously.

Everybody who uses this resource is looking forward to them being released but there is easily enough on this website to keep most of us going for a long time (if not ever) and guess what most of it is free - appreciate that fact.

Coach, moderators and forum frequenters have provided oodles of information and advice to adequately cover most peoples concerns.

As tsOOnami said elsewhere "You don't need more information" - just do the work.

Believe it or not Coach has some significantly higher priorities and has already been extremely generous in opening up this world to many non-gymansts. Enjoy and appreciate it.

Most of us aren't competitive gymnasts so why the rush. Slow down and avoid injuries.

Randeep Walia
Iced at 9 posts into the forum you've essentially called me and all the other mods here placating liars.

I have no idea what kind of answer you expect, its like you would walk into my house with out knowing me and tell me i have the wrong brand of toilet paper and expect me to give you a detailed answer why i prefer brand x over your brand.

:roll: Umm... whatever you want to believe I guess. I don't think you are a "placating liar" but you, and a few other people on this forum seem to enjoy imagining insults at every disagreement. And I don't expect any answer, since I didn't ask a question, ldo. Seriously, if you guys are going to be this sensitive, try scrapbooking and writing poetry when you're not training on the rings.

I'm done with this thread.