Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Building a Gymnastics Body question

Ant18

I was wondering if I could actually download it instead of getting it shipped here? I heard it was possible to get it in the pdf file format somewhere?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Coach Sommer

• Cole Dano

• Aaron Griffin

• Larry Roseman

Coach Sommer
I was wondering if I could actually download it instead of getting it shipped here? I heard it was possible to get it in the pdf file format somewhere?

I am literally working on this as we speak.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

This is very exciting! Will the next two volumes be being released in a digital platform as well?

Coach Sommer
This is very exciting! Will the next two volumes be being released in a digital platform as well?

That is my intention as it would greatly ease the logistics for all of our international customers. I am currently in the midst of evaluating various platforms to achieve this while maintaining the appropriate DRM security. If you have recommendations for such platforms, please feel free to throw them into the mix.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Adam Bodestyne

I will totally purchase another copy in pdf form when I can.

It'll be great to be able to take it around on my phone for those days when I've forgotten a move, or set of progressions and left my (physical) book at home.

I can't be more happy about that news. This is why :

For now I can't really follow the WOD program because I've only purchased two pairs of rings on gymnasticbodies.com (I thought that the new book version was soon to be released).

After downloading it illegally I have decided to delete it and wait, by respect to Coach and the members of this forum who all spend a lot of their time helping others.

As the time was passing by I was wondering if I shouldn't change my mind and order the book anyway. Indeed, my training options are limited by the videos on youtube and the advices provided here (which aren't totally useful without the book to scale down the exercises). This post give me some hopes about a soon-to-be-released version.

Why I am in favor of a digital book version :

-The shipping cost in Europe (and shipping delay)

-I do like reading a book in paper format for the first time but then I like it better to have it on my netbook and having it with me everywhere I go

-The ctrl+f function ^^

-avoiding the out-of-stock

As coach said the only drawback is the risk of pirating. Hope you will find a good solution.

Aaron Griffin

Coach, this is awesome. I will instantly buy anything you put up digitally.

I'm also crossing my fingers for new books.

Aaron Griffin
I am currently in the midst of evaluating various platforms to achieve this while maintaining the appropriate DRM security. If you have recommendations for such platforms, please feel free to throw them into the mix.

Coach, might I suggest that you eschew the DRM security? There will always be theft, and there will always be pirates. People can get around all these things. All DRM seems to do is make it more complex for legitimate purchasers of the book to use it.

For instance, I am a Linux user and would not be able to read the PDF on my preferred viewer without installing some other software I don't want. Likewise, if copy restrictions are enforced, I won't be able to upload it to my Sony eReader, as the software which does it properly only runs on Windows (last I checked).

Experiment after experiment by authors, musicians, and the like has shown that if people want to pay for the thing, they will, and if people don't, they will find a way to get the content for free.

Please don't lock these books down with DRM

I love my hardcopy of Building the gymnastic body.

I use it extensively for deciphering the WODs.

Waiting and paying for the shipping was demanding, but a PDF would not give me the same experience. I would also be a bit worried about revenue/lost sales due to copying and customers unhappy with the online publication system.

Coach, might I suggest that you eschew the DRM security? There will always be theft, and there will always be pirates. People can get around all these things. All DRM seems to do is make it more complex for legitimate purchasers of the book to use it.

Good point ! I'm a Linux user too and haven't thought about that.

An ebook can already easily be found for the first edition...

Here is a good graphic that shows the difficulties of legally watching a movie versus pirating it : linK.

Coach,

I know it is easier and adds more profit to you to have a digital download (e-book) format but i would ask if you would please give the option to have a physical hard copy book purchased as well. Give someone the option to choose as i personally would rather have the physical book in my hands then to sit at my computer and read it. I have so many e-books and quite frankly just get tired of them. Just a thought.

Thanks

Aaron Griffin
I would also be a bit worried about revenue/lost sales due to copying

This is not a thing. It doesn't happen. People who pirate never would have bought the book in the first place, so no sale is actually lost. This is scare tactics. No one reports "sales" lost due to physical theft - they report that PRODUCT is lost. A guy who physically steals a book never would have purchased it - the crime is in the taking of the physical asset

It's been shown over and over that people who "pirate" music actually buy more music than those who are not "pirates".

-The ctrl+f function ^^
That is what I like about digital books, a good search function.

I got a paper book online before, the moment I paid for it I was sent a password so I could download the digital book and read it right away, then I got my signed copy sent to me which arrived weeks later. I like to have both, esp. since I loaned it to a guy in work who left and never returned it! :evil:

f people want to pay for the thing, they will, and if people don't, they will find a way to get the content for free.

I think this is true. I got a illegal pdf of a book I was thinking of getting before. It was an expensive book and I treated the download like a review, liked it and bought the book, I think many people do this with books/music/films and it is worthwhile having free sections of the book so people get an idea of what its like.

The book I got was never officially a digital copy, somebody had scanned all the pages (hundreds) and used OCR software to detect the words. I still use the PDF for searching particular words.

Coach Sommer

I have considered this, however there are too many instances of theft. Note that many other authors (dragondoor, rosstraining etc) used to offer digital versions, but discontinued them in favor of hard copy only due to the tremendous amount of lost revenue due to pirating. Granted there is no such thing as perfect security, however a reasonable compromise is what I am seeking.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Larry Roseman
I can't be more happy about that news. This is why :

For now I can't really follow the WOD program because I've only purchased two pairs of rings on gymnasticbodies.com (I thought that the new book version was soon to be released).

After downloading it illegally I have decided to delete it and wait, by respect to Coach and the members of this forum who all spend a lot of their time helping others.

As the time was passing by I was wondering if I shouldn't change my mind and order the book anyway. Indeed, my training options are limited by the videos on youtube and the advices provided here (which aren't totally useful without the book to scale down the exercises). This post give me some hopes about a soon-to-be-released version.

Why I am in favor of a digital book version :

-The shipping cost in Europe (and shipping delay)

-I do like reading a book in paper format for the first time but then I like it better to have it on my netbook and having it with me everywhere I go

-The ctrl+f function ^^

-avoiding the out-of-stock

As coach said the only drawback is the risk of pirating. Hope you will find a good solution.

There is no absolute protection from piracy in any digital media, including print media as you refer to above.

However, taking movies as an example, on the whole, piracy does not seem to result in lower income for the studios.

This is a great article on the future of e-books, by the owner of O'Reilly publishing, a 100M company, which has removed DRM

from their books.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonbruner/2 ... -the-book/

JB: On all your titles you’ve dropped digital rights management (DRM), which limits file sharing and copying. Aren’t you worried about piracy?

TO: No. And so what? Let’s say my goal is to sell 10,000 copies of something. And let’s say that if by putting DRM in it I sell 10,000 copies and I make my money, and if by having no DRM 100,000 copies go into circulation and I still sell 10,000 copies. Which of those is the better outcome? I think having 100,000 in circulation and selling 10,000 is way better than having just the 10,000 that are paid for and nobody else benefits.

People who don’t pay you generally wouldn’t have paid you anyway. We’re delighted when people who can’t afford our books don’t pay us for them, if they go out and do something useful with that information.

I think having faith in that basic logic of the market is important. Besides, DRM interferes with the user experience. It makes it much harder to have people adopt your product.

He also discusses the competition from on-line tutorials.

In any event, I would be most interested in a digital version of BTGB that combined the text and photos along with definitions and video, so that cross-referencing is reduced , leveraging the strength of the new media. Making the e-book even greater than the paperback will create even more value and interest from new and repeat buyers.

I personally like the hard copies. If we do go digital will hard copies be offered as well? I am just always warry about anything online becasue someone is going to find some way to get it for free. I can download music whenever i want for free, simply becasue someone too the time to make it easy fro me to do. Givne, i wouldnt do this for your books, but there are people who would. But my only concern is if we do go digital, are we going to discontinue hard copies?

Me and IJL are on the same boat. Please dont discontinue the hard copies Coach. There is no doubt people will steal the digital copies. Shoot ive seen coaches book online in a pdf format and its only been in a physical format. People can steal it either way if they want.

Coach Sommer
In any event, I would be most interested in a digital version of BTGB that combined the text and photos along with definitions and video, so that cross-referencing is reduced , leveraging the strength of the new media. Making the e-book even greater than the paperback will create even more value and interest from new and repeat buyers.

This is another project currently in development and one that I am quite excited about. I had however never considered leaving the photos in place, but simply replacing them entirely with the appropriate video.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Somer

Coach Sommer
I personally like the hard copies. If we do go digital will hard copies be offered as well?

Hard copies will continue to be available as well.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

William Marler

Hey Coach,

I would recommend choosing the platform with the widest distribution base, and the easiest possible mechanism for purchasing content legally. At the moment I believe that's Amazon & the Kindle. My personal recommendation is not to publish for free and request donations (like some artists, eg Radiohead, have experimented with), but also not to put too much time, energy, and/or money into preventing piracy. As people have said: it's not possible to stop piracy. You have to combat it in a different way, and Amazon, Apple, Netflix, and Audible.com have all realized success by offering ease-of-use as their incentive.

Another way would be to make your services subscription based (like your atletes do coming to class week after week, or nytimes.com), but I think you run the risk of alienating too much of your userbase if you do.

fwiw I have both an illegal digital copy of BTGB and a print version (which I purchased via gb.com). Thanks for reading my post, and for disseminating your knowledge in general (personally I'm really looking forward to your next books).

Aaron Griffin
I think this is true. I got a illegal pdf of a book I was thinking of getting before. It was an expensive book and I treated the download like a review, liked it and bought the book, I think many people do this with books/music/films and it is worthwhile having free sections of the book so people get an idea of what its like.

I did this as well. I still keep the digital copy on my work computer, for reference if I need it. My hard copy and rings are at home.

Aaron Griffin
I have considered this, however there are too many instances of theft. Note that many other authors (dragondoor, rosstraining etc) used to offer digital versions, but discontinued them in favor of hard copy only due to the tremendous amount of lost revenue due to pirating. Granted there is no such thing as perfect security, however a reasonable compromise is what I am seeking.

Coach, I don't believe the facts support this position. It's similar to restrictive gun laws - it only prevents people who follow the laws from getting guns; criminals don't follow the laws to begin with.

These people that have discontinued digital copies have done so due to perceived loss of sales. But these are, in all honesty, small time guys. Look at the larger book sellers, like O'Reilly, who have much higher volume of sales, and thus, of "theft".

Digital theft, unlike physical theft, does not result in a loss of a sale.