Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

my beginners workout program - need feedback

juiop

I have read through the entire book but didnt understand some of the stuff in the program design chapter.

This is what my workout is like:

------------------------------------------------------------

Mon - Strength - Press & Pull Variation

- STATIC workout

Tuesday - Strength - Press & Pull Variation

- STATIC workout

Wednesday - REST

Thursday - Strength - Press & Pull Variation

- STATIC workout

Friday - Strength - Press & Pull Variation

- STATIC workout

Saturday - STATIC workout

Sunday - REST

------------------------------------------------------------

So my Strength workout is where i do one press and pull variation. eg on Monday i do Push ups with Rows. Now my Static workout is like this:

L-Sit - 3x30

Frog Stand - 3x30

Hand Stand (against wall) - 3x60

Front Lever - 3x15

Back Lever - 3x15

I am aiming to increase my handstand to 2minutes and L-sit to 1minute. I am doing the very basic variations of each of the above. I have not got a front lever or back lever yet of course. I am far from that.

Is doing 3 sets of 30-60seconds good? I know many people do short reps like 10-15 seconds but I also read an article/forum post by coach sommer saying its good to be able to do handstands against the wall for a considerable amount of minutes and basic stuff like L-sit, you should b able to do for like a good minute.

Okay, but I am doing that static program 5x a week and in addition to that im doing the strength press/pull variations 4x a week. isnt that overtraining?

I mean when I looked at the way coach sommer was programming it, he did say you can go up to 5x a week on static and 4x a week on press/pull. so im just doing the maximum.

so basically, i should aim for 60seconds on ALL the basic variations of front lever, back lever, l-sit, planche (which is frog stand as basic)? and aiming for 3sets of 60seconds each workout for each exercise is okay?

that means each time, i am working to a total of 180seconds of back lever, front lever etc...and im doin that 5x a week! right now i can barely get even 10seconds of back lever. All are the very basic variations of it of course.

Adam Bodestyne
Sorry I am confused. What is FSP and what did you mean by Pre-FSP?

Hi juiop,

The FSP are the Fundamental Static Positions (L-sit, Straddle-L, Planche, Front Lever, Back Lever and Manna. I think).

The pre-FSP are prerequisites for the fundamental static positions, and include things like the straight-arm plank, reverse-plank, pbar support, hanging from a bar, hollow hold, arch hold..

Sorry I am confused. What is FSP and what did you mean by Pre-FSP?

Hi juiop,

The FSP are the Fundamental Static Positions (L-sit, Straddle-L, Planche, Front Lever, Back Lever and Manna. I think).

The pre-FSP are prerequisites for the fundamental static positions, and include things like the straight-arm plank, reverse-plank, pbar support, hanging from a bar, hollow hold, arch hold..

Thanks so much for the reply!

Are there any other pre-FSP exercises besides the ones you listed? How would I integrate that with FSP exercises?

I am doing FSP 5x/week so I am not sure how to integrate pre-FSP exercises too? I think I might be overtraining under my method. If you could give me a sample workout plan in terms of sets/reps to aim for (reps being seconds) that would be great!

I am very serious about this gymnastics workout but I am clueless about programming.

Adam Bodestyne

Are there any other pre-FSP exercises besides the ones you listed? How would I integrate that with FSP exercises?

I am doing FSP 5x/week so I am not sure how to integrate pre-FSP exercises too? I think I might be overtraining under my method. If you could give me a sample workout plan in terms of sets/reps to aim for (reps being seconds) that would be great!

To be honest, I'm (still!) actually trying to get this figured out myself, however, here are a couple of posts that you may find useful:

This post by swarovski

This recent post by Blairbob

I'm not entirely certain how the pre-FSP and FSP should be programmed together, such as whether one drops the pre-FSP once a certain level (max time) has been reached, or whether they should all be consistently trained..

I think many of us just do them for one set of 60s and move on besides doing them as shrugs in our WU.

No. 3x60s for the pre-FSP stuff and Wall HS. 60s of volume for the FSP.

Is 3x60 for each really necessary? Now I am worried about time and over training. From the above links I now see the following for pre-FSP:

Pronated Grip Hang

Straight Arm Plank

Supinated Grip Hang

Reverse Plank

Inverted Hang

German Hang

Hollow Hold

Arch Hold

And possibly also L-sit and Handstands.

Trying to do 3x60 for each one would result in over 30minutes! But If it will really help in the long term im willing to do it. I am doing FSP 5x a week, so would i do this 5x a week also?

Also you said 60seconds of volume for the FSP. Does that mean for each FSP exercise, like L-Sit for example, I do sets that all total to 60 seconds? eg 6x10seconds.

Again you have to budget your time to fit your needs. Coach's gymnasts have 4-5 hours in the gym. I may have 2-3. Many or most of you will have 1-2.

Don't start Back Lever before mastering German Hangs.

I am only starting the basic variation of Back Lever. Which seems to really be a german hang, just with your legs tucked in. So is it okay to continue with this? Or should I focus on german hangs first? I can do about 5-10 seconds of a german hang with my legs full extended out. Really feel a burn/pain in my shoulders!

Again you have to budget your time to fit your needs. Coach's gymnasts have 4-5 hours in the gym. I may have 2-3. Many or most of you will have 1-2.

I don't mind doing more, or trying to do it more often but I keep having this worry about over training. Because of that I take two full days rest, on Wednesday and Sunday. Every other day I am doing FSP, pre-FSP, handstands (3 sets of 90seconds atm, and just increasing it slowly). You dont think this might be too much?

I mean if its okay to do handstands every single day for several minutes, then i am more than happy to do it! This is wall handstands of course lol.

Don't start Back Lever before mastering German Hangs.

I am only starting the basic variation of Back Lever. Which seems to really be a german hang, just with your legs tucked in. So is it okay to continue with this? Or should I focus on german hangs first? I can do about 5-10 seconds of a german hang with my legs full extended out. Really feel a burn/pain in my shoulders!

Do what you can. Eventually you'll want legs straight, trying to reach as low as your feet can possibly go.