Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OAHS 8-23-11

acegerter

yuri marmerstein

Nice!

I'm jealous of how even you are on both sides. My left is still far behind my right

Do you work on blocks more often than you do on floor now? chris jones highly recommended I start training on blocks more, but I haven't made the trip out to home depot yet

I usually warm up and then do 1 of each of the 3 positions on the floor. Afterwards do the rest of my workout on the blocks. And yea, when I work on cubes it feels like I get a ton more feel for the balance! Definitely recommend using them more often than the floor. Yuval even recommends spending more time on the blocks because they "teach" you the balance much quicker. I think its because you spend more quality time balanced on one arm than you do with the floor. Whatever it is, it works!

They are super easy to make! It just seems like a lot of effort to make them. I bought wood at home depot, had them cut rectangles of 4"x6-8" and then wood glued three of them together, sanded them, then rapped them in tape.

yuri post an update video already!

yuri marmerstein
I usually warm up and then do 1 of each of the 3 positions on the floor. Afterwards do the rest of my workout on the blocks. And yea, when I work on cubes it feels like I get a ton more feel for the balance! Definitely recommend using them more often than the floor. Yuval even recommends spending more time on the blocks because they "teach" you the balance much quicker. I think its because you spend more quality time balanced on one arm than you do with the floor. Whatever it is, it works!

They are super easy to make! It just seems like a lot of effort to make them. I bought wood at home depot, had them cut rectangles of 4"x6-8" and then wood glued three of them together, sanded them, then rapped them in tape.

yuri post an update video already!

sounds good, I'll have to get around to doing that.

haha I've been taping, just been lazy on the editing. I'll get some video out soon

DO thos block work equally as well with jsut normal handstands, or is it just one armed handsatnds you use them for?

Archbishop o balance

Nice work, man! May I ask how many sets of OAHS you do on the blocks, and how often you work on active flexibility?

You can use blocks for normal handstands... they allow you to do many more sets without wrist fatigue

Depends on the day but typically I go until I am tired or starting to get sore. Some days I do less (30-45min) because I get tired quicker, some days I'll work for 3+ hours.

The only active flexibility I really work is toe point and the knee extension exercise that coach has mentioned. I do a TON of passive flexibility for my splits and even more pre/rehab for my back and shoulders on a daily basis.

Mikael Kristiansen

It is getting very good. You are definitely getting the "proper" handbalancing look. Arm lifing in all the positions is next(im sure you do consistently in split already). Also, try sometimes to close your legs from a split 1 arm. It is an interesting exercise as it involves keeping placement while moving.

A suggestion for your complementary training is to start to do active flex training in pike and half pancake(in between pike and pancake). This helps greatly with 1 arm pressing, as staying stacked on your shouder is everything. Figa(the legs piked over your head one) also benefits a LOT from this, as you need to compress to stay.

Handbalancer,

Thanks man, I've been practicing a lot :-)

What kind of active pike and half pancake exercises would you suggest besides using mats to over-stretch?

Philip Chubb

If you are looking for active flexibility, I think he is more referring to movements where you use the strength of your leg to lift your leg into the position you want. One that I really like for the pike is to sit in between two even objects (chairs, boxes ect) and place your elbows on them. You should be sitting in a pike position. Now press your forearms into the boxes and lift your legs as high as you can toward your head. As your flexibility gets better, lower the height of the boxes.

Good work on the balancing!