Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

normal shoulders?

old?

how is normal shoulders supposed to feel?

my shoulders make a little "klicking" sound when I do some stuff but it do not hurt. I know it is impossible to make a diagnose over the internet, thats why I´m just woundering how someone elses feel like.

for example: rotate the arm with elbow 90 degrees out to the side and the forearm still in 90 degrees. like when you throw something (hope you understand :P). Is it supposed to feel like bending your arm(no "klicking)?

thanks in advance!

Joshua Naterman

Generally that means one of two things:

1) You have a piece of cartilage in the joint from an old injury. If you don't have any memorable shoulder injuries this is a bit less likely than 2.

2) Your shoulder is not stable enough and is wiggling around in the socket. You need to work on everything shoulder-related. I suggest a combination of bands and cable machines. Work them every single days, with 1 set on rest days and as much volume as you can stand without causing problems in the shoulders on work days. I will suggest 2-3 work days per week.

Larry Roseman

The older you get the more odd sounds your body makes, most of which are not serious.

This is not very scientific, just my experience.

A cracking like a knuckle pop is not serious, thought to be bubbles coming out of solution due to pressure change.

Perhaps tightening the joint with said exercises is advisable. I tend to crack my knuckles to loosen them when they feel

overly tight, and don't worry about it.

It can also be a tendon caught up a bit, either in its sheath or rolling over an aspect in its environment.

I've had this in my leg, and shoulder.

Cartlidge in the joint is more serious and would be quite painful at least during some motions most likely, i'd imagine.

Maybe if it is small enough it won't.

My inclination would be a tendon clicking.

Joshua Naterman

Yes. It could very likely be a tendon. However this shouldn't happen. If it doesn't hurt it probably isn't a problem at your current level of training, but failing to take a shotgun approach towards shoulder strength and stability will prove to be a mistake in the long run. It always does.

thank's for all replys!

I have been doing a "shotgun approach" towards shoulder prehab for a about 3 weeks and it feels grate :)

The older you get the more odd sounds your body makes

I am 19 :P my name is a little joke

but you haven't answered the question :P how do your shoulder sound/feel when you do different things?

Larry Roseman
thank's for all replys!

I have been doing a "shotgun approach" towards shoulder prehab for a about 3 weeks and it feels grate :)

The older you get the more odd sounds your body makes

I am 19 :P my name is a little joke

but you haven't answered the question :P how do your shoulder sound/feel when you do different things?

Ok now I get it!

When I do that throwing motion, no sounds. Yea! I get all sounds of sounds when doing ciruclar shoulder shrugs though.

Also when my arms are extended and I rotate them forward (pronate) I get funny elbow sounds. Somewhat like a deadened pop.

Great - never had that before! Thanks a lot :P:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
As my rehab progresses my shoulders make virtually no noises anymore.

slizzardman, can I just ask a few questions:

1. What are these rehab exercises you do that fix the shoulder? I noticed earlier in this thread you said to do a combination of cable and band machine exercises. If you could give me a link to these exercises that would be great. So far I found something from Ido Portals blog which had a few shoulder exercises with resistance bands

2. what is the shotgun approach? I could not find any specific information on it anywhere

3. In addition to clicking, I also feel that when i do shoulder circles (moving the shoulders in circular motion vertically just to warm up), the left shoulder has some kind of rubbing noise like its rubbing against something...when i move it behind me. Is this a problem?

I was actually always under the impression that these noises could not be fixed (according to what some physiotherapists have said). THey have also said to me that its not a problem as long as there is no pain, which I constantly refuse to believe.

Adam Bodestyne

1. What are these rehab exercises you do that fix the shoulder? I noticed earlier in this thread you said to do a combination of cable and band machine exercises. If you could give me a link to these exercises that would be great. So far I found something from Ido Portals blog which had a few shoulder exercises with resistance bands

2. what is the shotgun approach? I could not find any specific information on it anywhere

3. In addition to clicking, I also feel that when i do shoulder circles (moving the shoulders in circular motion vertically just to warm up), the left shoulder has some kind of rubbing noise like its rubbing against something...when i move it behind me. Is this a problem?

I was actually always under the impression that these noises could not be fixed (according to what some physiotherapists have said). THey have also said to me that its not a problem as long as there is no pain, which I constantly refuse to believe.

I'm not slizzardman (unfortunately :P), however:

1. You should check out his posts/videos:

Fix your shoulder pain!

and

and maybe this older one that he did:

2. I'm not sure, but I'd read "shotgun approach" as meaning you should treat everything in your shoulder, rather than focusing on just trying to fix a particular issue. Sure, fix that issue as you go, but make sure you're also working to strengthen every aspect of the shoulder, too.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Point 3 - I feel the same thing in my left shoulder. Exactly when the shoulder reaches the backside of that rotational shrug.

I've been doing a bunch of Rehab exercises pointed out by Ido & Slizzard and recently changed them as per a Physio friend... But I am wondering if I can find a real fix for that.

I dont have PAIN but this GRINDING with POP kinda feeling at the end of a

Rotational Shoulder (shrug) Movement (when the movement goes up from front and ends back & and down)

Is there any way to smoothen this out? I believe this is what causes issues when I start exercising again.