Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can't go from Tuck Planche to Handstand

Yaad Mohammad

Yaad Mohammad

Hey guys, I can hold the straddle planche for 3 seconds or more, but I can't make the transition between a tuck planche and a handstand. I can do a bend one easily but a straight one is incredibly hard, I think I'm doing something wrong. Help please?

• 2 weeks later...
Eddie Stelling

That's because you lack in straight arm HS press strength. Now before I get yelled at let me clarify, a Press to HS is WAY different than a PL Press to HS; however, a tuck PL press to HS is very similar to a tuck press to HS (Stay with me) which requires compressive strength. If you were doing a straddle PL press to HS this would not be the case, it would be entirely lack of shoulder strength.

When doing HS presses you don't want to PL in the sholuders (lean forward). You try to compress your mid section to allow the shoulders to move over the hands, then hips over the shoulders, and finally the legs over the hips arriving in a HS. When doing tuck PL press to HS you are starting with your shoulders already in front of your hands (PL shoulder angle), this is the only difference from the tuck press to HS. Therefore, your first move is to reduce the angle by moving the shoulders back over the hands. Simultaneously you will compress the mid section (should alreadty be if in proper tuck PL) and raise the hips over the shoulders (the tuck press to HS). The only difference between the two is you have to move the shoulders back over the hands at the beginning.

Start training box press to HSs and HS to tuck PL negatives. Also work on the tuck press to HS from your knees after some progress has been made on your box presses. (Sit on your knees, put your hands on the floor next to your knee caps, and try to press up to HS) Always fight to get the shoulders over the hands and the butt up on this move. Pull your head underneath you.

Yaad Mohammad
That's because you lack in straight arm HS press strength. Now before I get yelled at let me clarify, a Press to HS is WAY different than a PL Press to HS; however, a tuck PL press to HS is very similar to a tuck press to HS (Stay with me) which requires compressive strength. If you were doing a straddle PL press to HS this would not be the case, it would be entirely lack of shoulder strength.

When doing HS presses you don't want to PL in the sholuders (lean forward). You try to compress your mid section to allow the shoulders to move over the hands, then hips over the shoulders, and finally the legs over the hips arriving in a HS. When doing tuck PL press to HS you are starting with your shoulders already in front of your hands (PL shoulder angle), this is the only difference from the tuck press to HS. Therefore, your first move is to reduce the angle by moving the shoulders back over the hands. Simultaneously you will compress the mid section (should alreadty be if in proper tuck PL) and raise the hips over the shoulders (the tuck press to HS). The only difference between the two is you have to move the shoulders back over the hands at the beginning.

Start training box press to HSs and HS to tuck PL negatives. Also work on the tuck press to HS from your knees after some progress has been made on your box presses. (Sit on your knees, put your hands on the floor next to your knee caps, and try to press up to HS) Always fight to get the shoulders over the hands and the butt up on this move. Pull your head underneath you.

Right thanks a lot! Going to train this.