Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Advanced Training Methods 1 - Mechanical Advantage Set

Guest Ido Portal

Guest Ido Portal

Advanced Training Methods

In the future I will use this forum to post some of my insights on training, programming, planning and periodization.

These training methods have been used by great coaches around the world, and I implemented them in my training center with my students and clients over the years with great results.

Mechanical Advantage Sets

This training method, popularized by strength researcher Jerry Telle, uses a simple idea - one can lower more weight than one can lift.

What Telle basicly prescribed was changing the mechanical lever of an exercise to load the muscles in work more in the eccentric part of the movement than in the concentric.

I've used this concept in my practice for some time and it is especialy effective when combined with bodyweight exercises.

Example - Mechanical Advantage Planche Push-Ups

A basic requirment for this exercises is to be able to hold the isometrical planche position of advanced tucked variation, to be able to perform a tucked planche push up and to hold the lowest position in a planche push up in the straddle variation. (hands near the waist level and body hovering above the ground with bent elbows)

If you have been training correctly while not neglecting any strength quality or position and you are able to hold a 5-10 second advanced tuck planche the requirments above should be met without a problem.

The exercise starts in the advanced tuck planche, lowering slowly towards the ground while extending the legs into straddle position. Right away after breaking the angle in your locked elbows you will realize you are able to hold a much more extended position with bent elbows, and though, loading the muscles to a higher degree. Continue to lower until you reach the straddle variation in the lowest position of the planche push up. Stop for a second.

Start to reverse the motion, pressing from the ground slowly while closing into a tucked planche (you are able to lift more than you can lower) until you reach the locked elbow tucked planche position.

It is essential to strive to reach the straddle planche position as quickly as you can while breaking the elbow lockout on the eccentric and then lower the whole way down straddled. Also it is essential once you start to press up to quickly close into a tucked planche and lift in that position, leveled with the ground. This will ensure maximum loading while also being able to perform the motion successfuly.

This is one rep. If you are able to perform more than one, from the tucked planche, extend into the advanced tucked position, and repeat again.

Further Implementation

With a bit of creativity this training method can be used in front lever pull ups and other BW exercises. Enjoy.

• Upvote 3

This sounds really interesting and i understand the point you were getting at. I can't wait until i'm strong enough to give it a shot.

ps I added this to the collection of essay thread if there is anything else you think should go in there give me a message.

Coach Sommer

Excellent insight, Ido. I am looking forward to experimenting with it later tonight, although I am not sure if my athletes will share my same sense of enthusiasm for this newfound toy :D!

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Edward Smith

Ido, is this something you would use as a plateau buster, or once or so a week, everytime dynamic planche work is done?

Cheers,

Ed

Guest Ido Portal

I will mainly use this training method in a 3-4 week cycle with someone who can perform advanced tucked planche push ups (between pbars) and want to advance to the straddle planche push ups. It is a tricky transformation that most people will have great difficulty with.

Also, I'm a bit disgusted by the assortment of clips of 'planche push ups' on youtube and other sites. People who cannot hold a correct tucked planche are supposedly uploading full planche push ups, bouncing up and down in a horrible arched back position, without the ability to stop or control their motion. Also if you check the angle between their upper body and arms in the planche position you discover their movment is more of a dip variation with an exagerated arched back than a planche.

True straddle planche push ups are a rare sight, you should be able to hold the straddle planche in the end position for a 3 seconds count.

This is very informative and interesting Ido thankyou for posting this. It is awesome.

Just out of interest when training dynamic strength exercises what type of tempo do you follow? I've read a lot of articles that recomend different tempos based on ridding of any plyometric effect, imposing more tension on the muscles etc etc and just wondered what your take on tempos are.

Thanks!

Sounds like a great idea, I've always thought of something like this, but once I reached the lowest point I would kick my legs out hold for a few seconds, I never thought about going back up. Great ideas, will try them, today is my static skill day!

Edward Smith

I read an article on T-nation about a Coach's 'ah-ha moments' in which he says supersets are superior to hybrid lifts. Well this got me thinking, hybrid lifts are perfect for bodyweight conditioning. As we can manipulate the leverage exerted on exercises, changing the leverage for each exercise to suit strength levels for each position/exercise.

Just a thought that came to me,

Ed

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...