Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

bursitis to the elbow

Alessandro Mainente

Alessandro Mainente

hi i'm new to this type of injury, it's strange because are many years that i'm doing repetitive movements and i never suffered from it!

does anyone got it?

is possible prevent it?

my doctor say that is possible got it if you don't do a great warmup, but is not my case..so what is possible to do?

thanks a lot

• 4 years later...
Sascha Ringel

Hello Alesandro,

did you elbow bursitis heal, did you do anything special for it? I'm having one since 4 weeks, having no pain when moving the arm and also under load, but trying to be really careful on it not to cause any bigger issue on it.

Never had on before, must have happened either because of falling onto the elbow or some not so friendly levers on the elbow joint (martial arts background).

Thank you very much,

Sascha

Sascha Ringel

Olecranon bursitis?  You can see visible obvious swelling of the posterior elbow?

Yes. I had also seen a physiotherapist and two doctors, final decision was to leave it as it is, if it's not getting worse.

Thank you! Sascha

Joseph Blazuk

Sorry that question was directed at Alessandro.  Want to make sure we have an accurate diagnosis before talking about treatment/prevention.  Olecranon bursitis is typically not from overuse other than to say it can result from repetitive friction/pressure on the olecranon bursa (resting on elbows too much, etc... or maybe Russian dips :)  Can try simple things like elbow pad.  If it keeps recurring/nagging I suppose more extensive imaging (MRI) would be warranted, theoretically there could be some large triceps calcification or other structural problem that is predisposing you to bursitis.  Most often these are idiopathic, which is to say no known cause.

Sascha Ringel

Diagnosis of "Olecranon bursitis" was done, rootcause was most likely either bad break-falling or extensive levers on the elbow during some rougher fights (martial arts weekend seminar, so not caused by gymnastics training). It happened to me for the first time while practicing martial arts since 20 years. Of course currently I'm trying to be really very careful on my elbow to prevent any more damage due to friction, pressure, hits etc. . There are basically two question for me: how long does it normally take to heal? can I do anything (beside rest) to support the healing process?

Thanks a lot! Sascha

Christoph Pahl

I think concentrating on straight arm work will help. I had it once from desktop work and resolved the issue by bying a higher chair.