Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pull Ups Stoppped Progressing

chingyvang

I've been training pull ups for almost a month now and I am still stuck at 7 reps max. I do 3 sets every other day and I can max out at 7 pull ups within my first set. I am training for increased Lat muscle size so my grip is thumb over bar and I pull up by imagining my elbows trying to reach my sides, instead of the standard pull up of using forearms. I do not know why I am not progressing, should I train every day, or do I need more rest? My lats are barely sore during the pull ups while my Triceps are sore as hell and fail before my lats do. Keep in mind I'm only 120lbs. Back in high school, I used to be able to due 13+ regular pull ups using my forearms, ofcourse I was 98lbs then, but this method of using elbows is killing my progress.

Joshua Naterman

SSC.

Alternatively you can do the pull up routine I suggested a while back, it works for everyone.

SSC.

Alternatively you can do the pull up routine I suggested a while back, it works for everyone.

where? I'd love to try any of your routines

Joshua Naterman

You're basically going to figure out how many pull ups you can do for 10 sets. I would suggest trying 4. You will do regular pull ups, close pull ups, chin ups, parallel grip and wide pull ups. Then you repeat that. You're looking for 20-30s rest periods. You do not add reps until all sets are 4 pull ups. You may need to start with 3, and that's fine. You want every rep to be good. Right now you've still got a little size to gain, but once you're hitting 12-15 good pull ups you will either need to add weight or start transitioning to one arm work. I will suggest using this routine, which is pretty fast since it should take 10 minutes or less, until you can do it with 8-9 reps all the way through. At that point, and not before, I will help you figure out whatever it is that you want to do to continue moving forward.

I would suggest doing this routine 2-3x per week. I will also suggest working on front pulls and yewkis, tucked versions can be used as a pull up variation to replace the close grip pull ups and parallel grip if you like.

• Upvote 4

I am new to Gymnastic conditioning but not to body weight conditioning. I haven't bench pressed or done any dedicated weight training since middle school and I ran cross country in high school. I built up to 18 full ROM lock out dead hang pull ups in a little over 8 weeks.

I have a Iron Gym pull up bar on my room door way. Every time I go into or out of my room I do 10 full ROM pull ups in any of the three positions (pull up, chin up, neutral grip). I started being able to do like 4 crappy kipping pull ups. This program got me a 1st Class PFT score.

Wow I appreciate that you wrote out the whole program, I'm gonna get started immediately. Sounds like everyone is benefitting from it......thanks Slizz

Troy Rodriguez

I have a question Slizz that may be obvious but I'm not going to read into it and not find out exactly what you mean... :)

You will do regular pull ups, close pull ups, chin ups, parallel grip and wide pull ups. Then you repeat that.

So in each session you do 10 sets of each one of those positions?! Or just choose one that day and then rotate them around however you feel fit to?

Even if I did just one pull up per set that would be 50 pullups! :?

• Upvote 1

Eddie Stelling

I think what he is saying you cycle your 4 grips from set to set. So say you are doing 10 sets of 4 pullups. 1st set= 4 regular pullups, 2nd set= 4 close grip pullups, 3rd set= 4 chin ups, 4th set= wide pullups.....repeat grips......5th set= regular grip pullups, 6th set= close grip pullups.....and so on. Then if you wanted to get nit picky you could change the two grips that get the extra set (sets 9 & 10) from work out to work out.

I may have this wrong, so I will let Slizz confirm, but that is the way I interpretted it.

P.S. I used to train with a guy who is now a Navy SEAL, and he used to do something like this in his pullup workout, and it was insane how much volume he built up. He was doing like 20 sets of 10 reps with very little rest until he would hit the half way mark, and never seemed fatigued. He built it up nice and slow like this and did some crazy amount of pullups on his PT test for his SEAL slot. I can't remember how many but the whole school was talking about it. Listen to Slizz!

• Upvote 1

Joshua Naterman

Eddie's got it right. You do regular, 20-30s rest, close, 20-30s rest, close chins, 20-30s rest, parallel, 20-30s rest, wide, 20-30s rest, repeat the whole sequence once more.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like basically density work focusing on hypertrophy to increase energy stores in the muscles.

Armstrong pullup program comes to mind as does GreaseTheGroove program by Pavel (basically 5-10 sets a day @50% of max).

Joshua Naterman

They all have the same basic feature, just like all successful planche programs will be designed to make slow, steady progress.

This is the shortest and simplest effective pull up program out there. Armstrong is ok, but has something of a different focus.

The concept behind GTG is also good, but requires more constant exposure to the exercise and thus more discipline. It will also not cause as much hypertrophy as what I am suggesting, which I know the OP wants.

Joshua Naterman

I personally used a simplified version for push ups, which is straight out of the 12 weeks to BUD/S program and works fantastically well.

I could do a lot of push ups starting out, so I did 20 regular, 20 diamond and 20 wide with about 20s rest in between, and 1-2s up and down for every rep. Controlled motion, no plyometric work. This was really hard, much harder than banging out 80 push ups in 1 minute. I eventually did this with no rest.

Keep in mind that once you're doing sets of 15-20 push ups you will build more strength if you start adding load to the push ups AND/OR start turning them into PPP inch by inch. I recommend you always keep the diamonds/close-grip/tricep push ups and add load slowly to them. A few lbs at a time, don't go crazy. This is a gradual process, so have patience.

Slizz could I do something similiar for HeSPUs? But it kinda looks like HSPU Ladders :)

And also, I would do this, it looks really short, but the thing is, I don't want to gain too much muscle, because that would slow my progress on statics, or not? It kinda looks like GVT :?

Eddie Stelling
I don't want to gain too much muscle, because that would slow my progress on statics, or not?

Bro, have you seen Dillon??? Ashita???? If you are not eating to gain mass you aren't going to get ridiculously big. Packing on some lean muscle in your lats and shoulders while doing strength training will not hurt your statics!! The only weight gained (in my opinion) that hurts your statics is fat and excessive hypertrophy in the legs.

Slizzardman, you say to implement this pullup program 3 days a week, how did you do this with the GB WODs? Seems like you would be good and fried doing both in one day??

Joshua Naterman

I wouldn't dude! That would blow your face up. I would replace the pulling in the WOD with that program, that should allow for good progress in both WODs and raw pull up strength without causing internal bleeding! :lol:

You can also just do the WODs, I mean when you do them as prescribed all your abilities will increase. It's like the hypergravity chamber from DBZ, you know? By "as prescribed" I absolutely mean scaling appropriately. Just thought I'd clear that up before it caused confusion.

Alvaro Antolinez

Well WODs are working superbly for me, the only problem is I can´t do them as consistently as I wish (family and lots of travel) my pull ups are improving steadily but I think I am not scaling push ups acordingly as they are not improving, I can do like 15 but that is. Don´t take me wrong everything is improving but I feel push ups are a weak link or something like that. :oops:

I would like to try this program but I have two questions regarding to this.

1. Am I doing 10 sets with 20-30s rest or 5sets with 20-30s rest, then I rest for a minute and 5sets with 20-30s again.

Sorry if this is confusing but something like this came to my mind from before when I first read about this programme on the forum.

2. If I can do 10sets of 3 reps, am I increase it to 4 and struggle to pull out 10 sets of 4, or am I doing it with 3 until I can do 10sets of 4 perfectly?

Confusing again :D I will try to clear up this mess if you can't figure it out

Joshua Naterman
I would like to try this program but I have two questions regarding to this.

1. Am I doing 10 sets with 20-30s rest or 5sets with 20-30s rest, then I rest for a minute and 5sets with 20-30s again.

Sorry if this is confusing but something like this came to my mind from before when I first read about this programme on the forum.

2. If I can do 10sets of 3 reps, am I increase it to 4 and struggle to pull out 10 sets of 4, or am I doing it with 3 until I can do 10sets of 4 perfectly?

Confusing again :D I will try to clear up this mess if you can't figure it out

1) Whichever you like, the first method will work a bit better for a while with most people. I actually did the second method for the most part, but you can definitely take a short rest after the first 5 sets.

2) When you have 10x3 you'll start doing sets of 4, and odds are pretty good that you will only get 3-5 sets of 4 reps before you realize you're only like 1 rep away from failure or maybe that was even your last good rep on the 5th set (random example), after which the next 5-7 sets will be with 3 reps and possible 2 reps for a set or two. You won't try any more sets of 4 until all your other sets are 3 again, and then you will notice that you will be able to do 4 reps for more sets, until it's all 10 sets again. Then you go up to 5, and so on. Generally people see improvements every workout.

ok Slizz today was my 2nd day on the pullup routine and it feels great but I got a question. I do 4 reps; normal pullups, close grip pulls, close grip chins, but when i get to wide grip pullups, I can barely do 4 reps without cheating a little and pushing my head over the bar. Do you suggest I drop my reps down to 3? Or since you said they should all be done with good form, should I stick to 4 reps but continue focusing on good form?

Joshua Naterman

Drop to 3 reps when you're afraid of losing form, and just keep track of when you drop a rep. Pretty much every workout you should be getting at least one more rep on one of the sets you previously had to step down a rep or two on! Certainly at least once a week that should happen.

• 8 months later...
Vincent Stoyas

how can you add in horizontal pulling?

I wanted to replace the pulling WOD today with this, but was unsure about horizontal pulling.

Vincent Stoyas
Horizontal pulling will be your rows and FL pulls mostly.

Yes, but if it's a pulling workout then I should have horizontal pulling and vertical pulling, right?

So after say i do 2 sets of 3 reps each of wide pulls, regular chins/pulls, close grip chins/pulls, neutral grip, how can I add in rows/Fl rows? shove a 5x5 after that?

• 5 months later...