This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mats Trane Video/Progression Log

Started by Mats Trane, August 8, 2011 · 81 Replies · 6,212 Views

aoa

At wich age does the body lose strength significantly and theres little u can do about it?

I mean, a 50 year old can have the same strength as a 25-30 year old (I dont know what age you "peak" but I assume its around that).

But after 50 it seems to go downhill no? At what point does it become impossible to maintain peak strength?

Coach Sommer

Many people who find age an issue are finding it so from psychological reasons; not physical reasons. At the May 2011 GB Seminar, a 70 year old woman (Angela) who has been training w/ GB for the past year kept up with many people who were decades her junior. Appearance wise she looked to be in her early 50s; I was quite surprised when she told me she was 70.

Her secret? Calm, patient, methodical training.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Rafael David

48?! :shock:

Mats Trane

Thanks everyone!

Thanners and 2T2,

I train 5 days a week sometimes 6. Do some flexibility and prehab every time I train. One day a week i focus on prehab.

I usually train 3 days in a row one day off (or prehab) the 3 days of training again and som on. Some days i cant find block of time to train so those days I spread it out through the day. I have the possibility to train in a gym once every other week then i take the opportunity to do ropeclimbs and train on rings with long lines (alot harder). I try to train a little bit "here and there". For example before the shower gets warm in the morning I do some stretching, when I sit in the car to work I do that wrist and Elbow/Wrist Prehab Routine that was posted here(under Joint Preparation & Flexibility Work) I´ve put up a chinup bar at work, so I always try to make sure I can do some training even though it only becomes a little per day.

My tips are:

Always try to find time to train, even if it is only 15 minutes a day.

Eat right. I try to eat The Paleo way.

Watch less or No TV

Find your weak links and put focus on them.

If possible go to the seminars. After the May seminar is when things got going for me.

If you go to a seminar, make a list of questions that you woud like to know. There are ALOT of knowledge and experience among the people at the seminar. Ask heaps of questions !

Mats Trane

Yuri & jonathanmead,

I´ve always done some kind of sport my whole life.

As a kid (dont like writing that, I still feel like a kid) I did a little bit of everything, soccer, icehockey, track and filed etc.

From 14-30, lots of skateboarding in the summer skiing and weightlifting in winter.

From 30-45 waterskiing in the summer, skiing and some weightlifting in winter.

David Picó García

Great!!!! Continuosly progressing, thats the key, i saw him at my gym a couple of years ago and after at the Mallorca seminars doing greats rope climbs and handstands on rings. And he is constantly progressing. I found that the key is progress safely because the middle age people here still have a lot of years for progress. Seminars are great for this, from last year seminar i had no pain anywhere, and for people +30 all the prehab stuff is essential.

Hope to see you soon at Mallorca!!!! :D

Adriano Katkic

cdx, your progress is outstanding and very motivational. Gonna do the WOD right now, and I just woke up 8)

Tarun Suri
Razz said:

I disagree. It should be part of his training, but not the only planche training. Mixing days with high volume tuck planches with high intensity adv tuck planches is a better solution imo.

Really? Even if you're under straddle level, and your max time is about 2-3s, putting it in once in a while is beneficial? I didn't think it would be the case for less than 5s holds.

Mats Trane
RandomHavoc said:
Razz said:

I disagree. It should be part of his training, but not the only planche training. Mixing days with high volume tuck planches with high intensity adv tuck planches is a better solution imo.

Really? Even if you're under straddle level, and your max time is about 2-3s, putting it in once in a while is beneficial? I didn't think it would be the case for less than 5s holds.

All these videos are just tests after every 6-8 weeks of work so its not something I go for everytime i´m training :D

I´m just gonna keep on training and then I`ll make new testvideos after 6-8 weeks to see where I´m at

Razz
RandomHavoc said:
Razz said:

I disagree. It should be part of his training, but not the only planche training. Mixing days with high volume tuck planches with high intensity adv tuck planches is a better solution imo.

Really? Even if you're under straddle level, and your max time is about 2-3s, putting it in once in a while is beneficial? I didn't think it would be the case for less than 5s holds.

I still think it's beneficial to push the angle as well, maybe not with 2-3s holds but definately 5s holds.

wannabestrong

Hi, it is impressive

How long do you do gymnastics or weightlifting?

Thanks

Mats Trane
RandomHavoc said:
Looks good if you ask me. However, if that's how long you can hold the set for, you have no business training advance tuck yet.

Bodyweight training almost 2 years. But I´ve been doing some kind of sport my whole life. See earlier posts in this thread.

Mats Trane

Been doing handstand on rings with feet on straps for some time now. So I decided to start trying to let go with my feet off the straps. Thats when you relize it´s going to be a long journey!! To make a little easier I put a mattress under the rings so the rings just touch the mattress to stabilize the rings (think Gregor described this in one of his posts) even so it was realy hard and I know it will become even harder on rings with long straps :shock:

I guess it´s like Razz said: lots of hours of practice.

Razz

Not bad at all man, keep at it ;)

Cole Dano

The beginning of the press looked really strong as well. You are on the road to Beastdom!

alexander_a

Hi!

Just wanted to stop by to say you and your training are awsome! great that you post videos, especially for newbs like myself so I can get some inspiration on what I want to be able to do in the future :)

Alexander

Mats Trane
alexander_a said:
Hi!

Just wanted to stop by to say you and your training are awsome! great that you post videos, especially for newbs like myself so I can get some inspiration on what I want to be able to do in the future :)

Alexander

Thanks! Videotaping is an exellent tool to find your weak links

Mats Trane

Handstand Pushup against a wall.

Trying to go as slow and controlled as possible. As strenght increases I will elevate the bars inch by inch.

Mats Trane

So its been about 2 months since since I posted the first video. This time I tried to do a maxhold (for time) of the backlever. It became about 12 seconds. Form could be better but its hard to know when youre in exactly paralell to the ground but again the video always give you the answer.

Goal: 15 seconds

Gavin Strelitz

Very nice. Your handstand on rings is also very good. That's the next thing I want to try so nice to see a good example.

Mats Trane

Frontlever 201001 Max Hold

Goal 15 seconds

Mats Trane

Left Arm One Arm Chin

Cole Dano

Amazing Mr!

Razz

Mats, you are one frikkin animal!! Will Christian and I be seing you at biosig in April?

Erich Lin

mats, i just saw your video/progression log. you have progressed a lotttt since the May seminar! Keep up the good work! :)

Erich