This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Erik's Workout Log, Take 2

Started by Erik Sjolin, August 5, 2011 · 134 Replies · 8,082 Views

Erik Sjolin

wrist series

FSP (FL, L-sit, BL)

HS wall press in pike (plus 2.5 lbs, 3x3)

bottom of bower (3x4)

HLL (plus 5lbs, 3x7)

Body lever (3x10)

I've started to make a list of FBE's or any exercise that aggravates my shoulder, and plan on eliminating them until it's completely back to normal. It's frustrating, but I had to do the same thing when I injured my collarbone about a year ago.

Interesting discovery, during my job my shoulder was feeling kind of loose (its default position now :x ) so for whatever reason I jammed a couple fingers into one of the more painful areas (at that time I think it was the anterior deltoid, or something close to it) and started doing the motion that hurt (pushing out with a neutral shoulder). To no surprise, it still kind of clicked, but there was less pain and it felt more stable. I did this a few more times and then tried it without my fingers jamming in it, and it didn't hurt as much. This was about four hours ago, and it's starting to come back a bit, but for the first time in several months, I was able to actually reach out, pick something up and bring my arm back without wincing or really internally/externally rotating my shoulder.

It's a pretty sad accomplishment, but at this point, I'll take whatever I can get. Still planning on going to physio, but this really interested me. Is this trigger point therapy, did I sort of spark a muscle that hadn't been activating? Because I swear that I've read about this stuff before.

Erik Sjolin

wrist series

FSP (Straddle L, MSH, PL leans and tiptoe)

MU (3x4, wide and narrow)

FL rows (3x7 adv tuck)

OAC (pikie assist, 3x2 each side)

XR dips (3x7)

PMP (trying these out instead of PPP plus)

XR bicep curl

tiger pushup

squats

hamstring curl

stretching

a bit of shoulder prehab peppered throughout

This workout was noticeably shorter and smaller than my usual ones, mostly because some of the exercises I've eliminated for a time were in it. It's frustrating, but I guess it's something I have to do. Done it before, so y'know...

Exercises put on hiatus are; HeSPU, OAOL pushup, back lever, any PL more advanced than tuck, weighted dips, top of hollowback to shoulderstand, PPP plus, pelicans, straight bar series, in/dislocates with band, basically anything that puts the shoulder in a position where it's out of the socket. German hangs are still fine if I don't try and dislocate to it. Straddle presses are going to be done sporadically, but not as much. Cast wall walks will be put on hold this week, see how I feel after.

Yeah, gonna be a really boring next few days. If anything, going to work on flexibility a LOT.

alexander_a

Hi Erik!

Just wanted to stop by to say your training looks really good. As already mentioned, you have good work capacity! Also it's cool to see that you are training whole body with quite high frequency.

Do you feel that with bodyweight training and skill moves, a specific movement pattern or bodypart can be trained much more often than with weights? I'm experimenting a bit myself with really high frequency for a few basics right now.

I'll keep checking your log for inspirtation!

Alexander

Erik Sjolin

Hey Alexander

I suppose they can. The way I did them when I started out was, whenever I got bored, I would drop to the floor or hop up on a bar and bang out a few sets. But if you do really high frequency work, you need to make flexibility and mobility work an equally important part of your routine. Don't fall into the same pit I (and so many others) did! :lol:

I would say just as long as you keep your shoulders/elbows/wrists/hips/knees/etc healthy and strong, then you should be able to train however frequently you like.

Thanks, looking forward to reading about your progress!

Erik Sjolin

wrist series (omitted the first pushup variation)

FSP (FL, L-sit, BL omitted)

RLL in HS pike (2.5lbs added, 3x3)

locusts (3x5)

L-lifts (3x5)

V-ups lift (3x4)

Okay, gotta try and give myself some encouragement about the benefits of skipping some of my usual work. Ummm...it'll let me heal (hopefully), I might actually get some rest, it leaves more time for flexibility training (splits, here I come!), it's what I probably should have been doing anyway, I've had to do this before so I know I can recover...

Problem with the flexibility is the place that needs it most (shoulders) is the place I can't really do it...darn. :(

Erik Sjolin

wrist series

FSP (straddle L, MSH, tiptoe PL)

yewkis (3x5)

reverse yewkis (3x5)

OAC (3x2, used the very tip of pinkie to assist.)

weighted chin ups (3x3 @ 120lbs)

XR dips (3x7)

PPP plus (3x5)

PMP (3x5)

ring flyes (3x5, was at quite a bit of an angle to do them)

bicep curls (105lbs)

tiger push ups (3x8)

leg extensions/curls/presses

half of band routine for shoulder (1.5 of them, actually)

stretching

Felt pretty good today. Shoulder still feels kind of loose, but it's not giving me nearly as much grief as before. What's weird is that it hurts when I sit, but not when I stand. Which is bad because I'm a delivery driver. :(

Erik Sjolin

Update to come later today, but I just got back from the physiotherapist, and I wanted to jot down his advice before I forget it.

Diagnosis; impinged supraspinatus. Since it's been about six months, he figures the best thing to do is to work on strengthening it slowly using whatever resistance/ROM doesn't hurt.

Also, my suspicion was confirmed, I do have a winging scapula. Continue the treatment of a metric buttload of serratus anterior work as well as upper/middle/lower trapezius work. Suggested exercises also included bench press, overhead press, lateral and front raises (for shoulder as well as scapula).

I'm still going to stay away from the dislocation bits that some of the prehab routines required, and put stretching on hold until my shoulders are strong and solid enough to handle it. Gotta get my handstand pushup back!

Erik Sjolin

wrist series

FSP (FL, L-sit, still not doing BL to see how it affects the impinged muscle)

HS wall pike press (3x5 w/o weight. These felt really bad, and recently I lost the ability to do a straight arm straddle press. Could just be a bad day, so here's hoping)

RLL on rings (3x7)

HLL (3x7, 5lbs)

body lever (3x10)

The recommendation was to strengthen the rotator cuff (supra) and not worry about the flexibility at the moment, as well as strengthen the serratus anterior. I gotta say though, the way my scapula stick out in a handstand pushup (even something as easy as a stooped one) and in a PL just...it's frustrating, to say the least. It's going to make it very difficult to properly train these movements in a safe and stable way. :evil:

On the positive side though, I'm very happy with how my pulling has been progressing. Gotta stay positive, y'know?

Erik Sjolin

Holy moley, this has...this has not been a good week, training-wise. :cry:

This week alone, I lost my straddle press (said that yesterday, but I fear it may be more than just simple fatigue...well, at least I know how I got it in the first place), ring HS (feet around straps) and tuck planche (tip toe PL is insanely hard now...). Wow, just...wow.

Today itself was pretty bad. Schedule looked like this;

wrist series

FSP (straddle L, MSH)

MU (narrow and wide, 3x4)

FL rows (adv tuck 3x7)

OAC (3x2 each side, used tip of pinkie, at first just on the side of the ring)

PMP/PPP plus (3x5, alternated)

pelicans (first variation)

XR dips (3x7)

ring flyes (at about a 45 degree angle, 3x5)

XR bicep curls (3x3, these were worse than usual)

some band work for shoulders

scapula series

attempted to do some leg work and stretching, but couldn't finish.

This itself wouldn't have been so bad if not for the tension headache brought on by the furious attempts at body line drills and serratus anterior work done yesterday night.

In the level of ashita's supersaiyan rankings, right now I'd say I'm the dude with the gun that Raditz kills in the first episode. :|

Erik Sjolin

Okay, felt a lot better today!

wrist series

FSP (FL, L-sit, BL)

10 cast wall walks

10 min HS wall runs

not a whole lot done today. Mostly just playing around with planks and reverse planks. I've decided to start doing the cast wall walks twice a week instead of my usual once. Still gotta listen to my shoulder, but it feels way better than it has. Don't want to make it worse, though.

Erik Sjolin

wrist series

FSP (straddle L, MSH)

V-ups lift (started pausing, setting my hands and lifting up rather than kipping.)

L lifts

locusts

half hollowback to shoulderstand

Erik Sjolin

Got a new SSC coming up, and I'm curious how I should progress my L-sit. It feels pretty solid, but I want to make it better. I can hold 60s on the ground and 45s adv on the rings. How do I move forward from here? I'm thinking either really work on compressing my pike in the L-sit until it's almost like an upside down manna (if that makes any sense), or adding weight to my ankles.

Any ideas?

Erik Sjolin

time for the workout of today

wrist series

FSP (FL, L-sit, BL)

weighted pull ups (3x3 @ 120lbs. Felt really good)

yewkis (3x5)

OAC (4x2 each side)

stooped HeSPU (3x5)

OAOLPU (3x10, index and thumb assist)

PPP plus (3x5)

Russian dips (3x5, just did transition)

windshield wipers

inverted crunches

bicep curls (3x5 @ 50lbs)

shoulder series (3, no dis/inlocation stuff)

front squats (3x5 @ 145lbs)

calf raises (3x15 @ 135lbs)

hamstring curls (3x5 @ 180lbs)

stretching

Erik Sjolin

wrist series

FSP (straddle L, MSH)

wall HS pike press (3x3 2.5lbs added)

locusts (3x5)

HLL (3x7 5lbs added)

body levers (3x10)

flag half pulls (3x3 half layout, arms slightly bent)

cast wall walks

Feel really good right now, absolutely no pain in the shoulder! Might do a bit of scapula work, but other than that I'm just going to enjoy the lack of pain for a bit.

Erik Sjolin

New cycle today!

wrist series

FSP (FL (half layout, felt kinda weird so I switched between narrower straddle and extended time), L-sit (60 sec on floor with 2.5 lbs on my feet, plus 2x45 on rings), BL (stayed the same))

MU (3x4, mostly wide)

FL rows (3x4, straddle)

OAC (4x2 each side, pinkie tip assist)

pelicans (3x5)

XR dips (3x7, switched between regular and Bulgarian)

stoop HeSPU (3x5. Added these midway through last cycle, so I'm sticking with it for another one)

ring flyes (3x5 at 45 degree angle)

XR bicep curls (3x4, gotta figure a way to scale the inverted muscle up...I thinking either work negatives, or use a band somehow)

scapula series

elbow series

various leg exercises

stretching

Still ironing out the details for my new cycle. Should be a fun couple of weeks. :D

Erik Sjolin

wrist series

FSP (Straddle L (3x30s, still working on compression), MSH (4x30s, really focusing on proper form and pressing rather than just holding it now))

HS wall press pike (3x4, 2.5lbs added)

bottom half of Bower (layout, 3x4)

V-ups lift (3x4, slow press to vertical V. Feels pretty solid)

L-lifts (3x5 w/ fingers back. Easier for external rotation, might end up helping with Manna)

flag half press (3x4, half layout)

I have a quick prediction; with the way things have been progressing (and knowing my personal strengths), I predict that I will have a full manna before I have a straddle planche.

This is pretty "pie-in-the-sky" right now, but we'll see how things progress. I want both though, so here's hoping. :mrgreen:

Erik Sjolin

wrist series

FSP (FL (narrow straddle, 3x20s), L sit (60s floor hips by elbows, around 45s with 5lbs on ankles, 60s on rings), BL)

yewkis (3x5 with 2.5lbs on ankles)

weighted chin ups (3x3 @ 120lbs)

OAC assist (3x2 each side)

FL pulls (3x5)

HeSPU stooped (3x5)

PPP plus/PMP (4x5/7)

Russian L dip (3x4)

OAOL (3x10, one finger assist)

tricep extension (3x7 @ 60lbs)

bicep curls (3x4, from 45lbs to 55lbs)

front squats (3x5, 135, 145, 155)

hamstring curls (3x5 170, 180, 190)

stretching

Not much to comment on today. Did some tiptoe PL's, but aside from that it's pretty standard.

Erik Sjolin

wrist series

FSP (straddle L, MSH)

10 cast wall walks

10 minutes HS wall runs

played around with PL leans, planks and reverse planks

standard day, felt pretty decent. Really gotta work on that rotation for V-sits and MSH.

Erik Sjolin

wrist series

FSP (FL, L-sit, BL)

HS pike press on wall (3x4, 2.5lbs added)

locusts (3x5)

HLL (5lbs added, 3x7)

body lever (3x10)

flag half pulls (half layout, 3x4)

played around with one arm elbow levers (been doing something like a majorly easy sweat pushup; one arm elbow lever, feet on the ground push up with one arm, back to elbow lever), and played with lifting from a one arm lever to the beginning of a HeSPU. Still gonna be a while before I can press up to HS, but it's fun to mess around.

Erik Sjolin

wrist series

FSP (straddle L, MSH)

MU (narrow, wide, straight bar, 3x4, played with straight bar)

FL rows (straddle, 3x4)

OAC assisted (4x2 each side)

HeSPU stooped (3x5)

XR dips (3x7)

pelicans (3x5)

ring flyes (45 degrees, 3x5)

XR bicep curls (3x4)

tiger pushups (3x8)

shoulder series (band)

windshield wipers on bar (with what I think is a meathook at the end of each set)

scapula series

leg press

calf raise

stretching

Erik Sjolin

wrist series

FSP (FL, L-sit, BL)

V-ups lift (3x4)

L-lifts (3x5)

locust (3x5)

bottom of Bower (3x5)

cast wall walks (10)

plank and reverse plank

Got home really late today. Won't be able to do as much.

Erik Sjolin

wrist series

FSP (straddle L, MSH)

weighted chin ups (120lbs 3x3)

OAC assisted (4x2)

yewkis (3x5 2.5lbs added)

reverse yewkis (3x5, adv tuck)

reverse MU negative (3x4, really gotta work on these)

OAOL PU (3x4, one finger assist)

stoop HeSPU (3x5)

PPP plus/PMP (4x5)

Russian L (3x4)

weighted dips (3x5 @ 45lbs)

band prehab (3)

bicep curls (4x5)

leg extensions/curls

stretching

Today was...meh. Still though, another day, another workout. Gotta do some PL leans and ring HS later on, but this is pretty much it.

Erik Sjolin

Holey moley, this was a tough one.

wrist series

FSP (FL, L-sit, BL)

HS pike press wall (3x3 2.5lbs)

bottom half of Bower (3x5)

locusts (w/ fingers forward, 3x5)

body levers (3x10)

HLL (3x7 @ 5lbs)

flag half press (3x4 each side)

I played around with MU to BL in this one. I managed to go to a straddle, but my hips piked and kind of fell the last inch. Something to work on, definitely.

Erik Sjolin

Phew, those MU to BL really did a number on my biceps! Haven't actually felt sore like this in a while. Kinda put a kibosh on a few of my exercises today (ie pelicans, XR bicep curls, etc) but I figure if it's this taxing, it's gotta be worthwhile.

wrist series

FSP (Straddle L, MSH)

MU (wide and narrow, 3x4)

OAC assist (4x2 each side)

FL rows (3x4 straddle)

OAOL PU (3x3 each side, index finger assist)

stooped HeSPU (3x5)

XR dips (3x7)

PMP (3x5)

scap series

shoulder series

front squats

hamstring curls

stretching

Stretching didn't go too great today. Looking forward to a bit of rest tomorrow.

Erik Sjolin

wrist series

FSP (FL narrow straddle, L-sit, BL)

cast wall walks

HS wall runs

I guess my biceps aren't totally back to 100% yet, but I have a good feeling about tomorrow. Been working pretty hard, and I'm gonna be taking the rest of the day from really strenuous work (aside from planks, reverse planks, etc).

Wish I could've made it out to the seminar with everyone last weekend, sounds like it was a great time!