This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Erik's Workout Log, Take 2

Started by Erik Sjolin, August 5, 2011 · 134 Replies · 8,082 Views

Erik Sjolin

Second time starting one, but this time I'm gonna stick to it, gosh darnit! 8)

Anywhoo, outlining what I did today;

-Wrist series

-straddle front lever (4 sets of 15s)

-L-sit (FX for 60s, 2 XR for 45s)

-layout back lever (german hang, 20s straddle, 2 15s layout)

-various shoulder warm ups with band (not done at beginning, stupidly)

-Wall HS pike press with 2.5 lbs 3x3

-Locusts (half lay up, full lay down)

-HLL with 5 lbs each leg 3x5

-body lever 3x10

-MU 3x4

-Advanced tuck FL rows 3x7

-OAC with opposite pinkie assist 3x2 each side

-FX PPP (attempt at keeping serratus anterior activated)

-XR PPP plus 3x4

-XR dips 3x7

-XR bicep curls feet elevated 3x4

-dumbell tricep extension 4x7 (45, 55, 55, 60 lbs)

-hanging windshield wipers 3x10

-shoulder pre-hab (band and bar)

-hamstring curls (170 lbs. Lack a proper place to secure my ankles to do NLCs)

I plan on spending a bit of time with planche leans and serratus rows (tuck FL) later, as well as stretching and jamming a lacrosse ball in my back to try and work out my shoulder issues.

Played around with shoulderstands on an aerobics bench (mostly trying to hold it with activated serratus), but it hurt too much. Interestingly, the left scapula failed first, but the right shoulder is injured. Go figure.

My workouts never seem that long when I do them, but looking at it now, it seems like a lot. I might try breaking it up into a smaller 6 day cycle, maybe make it more manageable.

Erik Sjolin

(yesterday I did my straddle L (3x20s) and MSH (4x30s, still working on mastering the external rotation))

-wrist series

-straddle FL (4x15s)

-L-sit (60s FX, 2x45s XR)

-BL (german hang warmup, 20s straddle, 2x15s layout)

-3x4 V-ups lift

-3x5 L-lifts

-3x4 bottom half of Bower/top half of hollowback press. Not sure what to call it.

-3x5 locusts, half lay up, full lay down

-3x5 yewkis

-3x5 FL pulls

-4x3 weighted pull ups (115lbs, various hand positions)

-3x3 OAC assisted

-3x7 ring dips

-3x5 stooped HeSPU (mastering scap position. Bloody hard)

-3x4 Pelicans (first progression. good times)

-3x5 weighted dips (45lbs)

-3x4 barbell bicep curls (105lbs)

-3x7 tricep extensions (with dumbell)

-various scap mobilizations/strengthening

-2x5 zercher/front squat 135lbs (once again, not sure on the name)

-2x5 back squat 185lbs

-hamstring curl

Yep, starting Monday I'm going to have to split these up into a 6-day week. It's just too much to do in one day while working.

Stopped doing planche for a bit while I work on serratus anterior and body line. Also to let my shoulder heal up.

Tarun Suri

That's a lot more work capacity than I have for 1 workout!

Erik Sjolin

It's not as bad as it looks (even though it looks bad :oops: ). All it really boils down to is

warm up

FSP

3 pulls

3 presses

core

legs

I also ended up doing a bit more with some aerobic steps today. I was working the bottom half of the L-sit press handstand (really bad at it. Gonna be fun to work) and paused with my toes pointed on the ground in the tuck planche position.

It felt like a step down from the tuck planche, but I had proper form (these darned scapula are going to be the death of me), actually felt like I was working the proper muscles and balance, and most importantly, didn't hurt.

Erik Sjolin

Today;

wrist series

straddle L (3x20s)

MSH (4x30s)

scapula push ups with approx. 170lbs sitting on my upper back

10min HS Wall Run

planche leans

XR shrugs

Technically a rest day, so this was all just me playing around.

Erik Sjolin

Started splitting up my workouts this week, going to see how it works out.

Wrist series

Straddle FL (4x15s)

L-sit (60s FX, 2x45s XR)

BL (german hang, 20s straddle, 2x15s layout)

Wall HS pike press (3x3, 2.5lbs added)

bottom half of Bower on rings (bent arm straddle planche to shoulderstand, 3x4)

HLL (3x7, 5lbs added)

Body lever (3x10)

Felt pretty decent, and this should help cut down the four hour workouts. I like 'em, but it doesn't leave a whole lot of time in the day.

Mats Trane
Erik said:

scapula push ups with approx. 170lbs sitting on my upper back

.

Hi Erik! How did you get 170'pounds on your upper back? Weight vest, person sitting there?

Erik Sjolin

I got my brother to sit on me. It's not ideal, but I saw Ahnold do something similar in "Pumping Iron" a few years back and it works the same.

Nice job on your levers, by the way!

Erik Sjolin

Come to think of it, Ahnold was using two buxom beauties instead of a dude in flannel pajamas, so I may need to rethink that part. :shock:

Anyway, today I did

wrist series

various yoga poses to limber up my hips

straddle L (3x20s)

MSH (4x30s)

MU (3x4)

FL rows (advanced tuck 3x7)

OAC assisted w/pinky (3x3 each side)

PPP on ground

XR dips (3x7, focus on scapula against ribcage)

Stoop pushups (focus on scapula position, 3x5)

bottom half of HS press (plus tiptoe planche? Seems like a good name for it)

XR bicep curls (3x4)

tricep push downs (3x5)

shoulder series (3 kinds)

knee series

front squat (135lbs 2x5)

back squat (185lbs 2x5)

I really need to focus on making my diet better. Gotta get rid of Mr Pancreas somehow...planche leans, elevated planks and reverse planks to come later tonight.

Erik Sjolin

After work (I should mention that I ride a bike to and from work every day. It's a fairly long ride, and the wind makes for a bit of a challenge.)

wrist series

straddle FL (4x15s)

L sit (60s FX, 2x45s XR)

BL (german hang, 20s straddle, 2x15s layout)

3x3 RLL in a wall HS (plus 2.5lbs)

3x5 locusts

3x4 V ups lift

3x5 L lifts

10 cast wall walks

I've started doing the wall extensions for shoulder flexibility, and so far trying to figure out how exactly the shoulders should move during them has actually helped the pain in my right shoulder. Gonna do a bit of scapula work later on.

Erik Sjolin

Today was pretty standard.

wrist series

straddle L (3x20s)

MSH (3x30s, felt pretty good this time)

weighted dips (3x5 @ 45lbs)

XR dips (3x7)

PPP plus (3x4)

stooped HeSPU (3x5)

Yewkis (3x5)

FL pulls (3x5)

weighted pull ups (4x3 @ 120lbs, 2/3 bodyweight yeah!)

OAC assisted

bicep curl (50lb dumbell, 4x4)

tiger pushups (sort of like a tiger bend, but in a pushup position, 3x8)

scapula series

HS half press (bottom, held tiptoe planche for 20s after each set)

leg extensions

leg curls

Erik Sjolin

Felt pretty drained today.

wrist series

straddle FL (4x15s)

L-sit (60s FX, 2x45s XR)

BL (german hang, 20s straddle, 2x15s layout with pull out)

3x5 HS pike press with wall (unweighted today due to aforementioned fatigue)

3x4 bottom of Bowers on rings (these feel like they may be working biceps more than back)

3x7 weighted HLL (5lbs)

3x10 body levers

Probably going to do some scapula work later on, just the usual stuff. If my shoulder feels up to it, XR HS. But we'll see.

Erik Sjolin

standard day

wrist series

straddle L (3x20)

MSH (3x30)

basic pelicans (3x5)

PPP plus (3x4)

XR dips (3x7)

tiger pushups (3x8)

MU (3x4, wide and narrow grip)

FL rows (3x7 adv. tuck)

OAC assisted w/pinkie. (3x2 each side)

bicep curls on rings (3x3)

saxon bends (3x5 each side)

shoulder series (three different ones)

front squats (3x5 @ 135lbs ATG)

Finally bought myself some of the supplements recommended to me, so here's hoping that they work.

Also, finally managed to completely protract my scapula in the PL leans. Psyched.

Erik Sjolin

Spent most of my day driving across the province to pick up some people at the airport. Luckily, it was a rest day.

Wrist series

FL straddle (4x15)

L sit (FX 60, XR 2x45)

BL (german hang, straddle 20, layout 2x15)

PL leans

HS wall runs (10 minutes)

Archbishop o balance
Erik said:
Spent most of my day driving across the province to pick up some people at the airport. Luckily, it was a rest day.

Wrist series

FL straddle (4x15)

L sit (FX 60, XR 2x45)

BL (german hang, straddle 20, layout 2x15)

PL leans

HS wall runs (10 minutes)

This is a rest day?! :shock:

Erik Sjolin
Archbishop o balance said:
Erik said:
Spent most of my day driving across the province to pick up some people at the airport. Luckily, it was a rest day.

Wrist series

FL straddle (4x15)

L sit (FX 60, XR 2x45)

BL (german hang, straddle 20, layout 2x15)

PL leans

HS wall runs (10 minutes)

This is a rest day?! :shock:

Well...I don't really have days where I rest completely. They're more or less just days where I do my FSPs and then putz around.

Erik Sjolin

Core work today. Took a bit of time to get going, but I found that I could support my bodyweight on my fingertips.

wrist series

various stretches for hips

straddle L (3x20s)

MSH (4x30s, still working on pushing the shoulders down completely)

L-sit lifts (3x5 to vertical)

V-ups lift (3x4)

locust (3x5)

RLL wall HS (3x3 plus 2.5lbs)

a LOT of planche leans and scap work (scapula pushups plus 170lbs, retractions in a tuck FL, played around with tuck planche but need to master protracting the shoulders before I think about that)

Erik Sjolin

Felt a lot better today.

wrist series

FL straddle (4x15)

L-sit (60 FX, 2x45 XR)

BL (german hang, 20 straddle, 2x15 layout)

yewkis (3x5)

reverse yewkis (3x5 adv tuck)

OAC assisted (3x3)

weighted pull ups (various grips, 4x3 @ 120lbs)

XR dips (3x7)

PPP plus (3x4)

stooped HeSPU (3x5, trying to keep my scapula in a good position. Not working out too great)

weighted dips (3x5 @ 45lbs)

bicep curls (2x5 @ 45lbs, 2x5 @ 50lbs)

tiger pushups (3x8)

shoulder series (2)

scapula series

front squats (3x5 @ 140lbs)

hamstring curls (3x5 @ 170lbs)

stretches

Some things of note here; during the stretches I almost went down completely in a front split on both sides, after some difficulty I opened my straddle a bit, but it's gonna take a lot more work at every angle to really make it wide. I played around with some straight bar muscle ups today, and managed to pull off a few okay reps. They were done on the connecting part of a cable machine (which is flat), which may have helped a lot.

Erik Sjolin

Another standard day of wrist series, statics and various core exercises.

I'm curious as to whether I should continue listing my exercises as I've been doing, or if I should treat this as more of a journal? I suppose it would help to be able to go back and pinpoint exactly what I've been doing wrong should I injure myself again (knock on wood).

Stuff other than usual today was my

10 cast wall walks

PL leans

ring HS work (not so much work as it is playing around. Feet still wrapped tightly).

Erik Sjolin

wrist series

FSP (FL, BL, L sit)

MU (3x4, narrow/wide/played with straight bar)

FL rows (adv tuck, 3x7)

OAC (pinkie assist, 4x2 each side. Realized I'd been pulling with my biceps the whole time. Doy.)

Pelicans (first variation, 3x5)

XR dips (3x7)

Stooped HeSPU (3x5, still frustrated with my scapula)

OAOL pushups (3x3 each side, index and thumb assist)

tiger pushups (3x8)

XR bicep curls (3x3)

windshield wipers (3x10)

half press from L-sit

tiptoe PL (3x20s)

shoulder series (3)

front squats (prefer the Zercher position. Tried the usual arm position and something felt really bad.)

hamstring curls (3x5 @ 180lbs)

inverted sit ups (3x6 @ 25lbs)

stretches

An interesting thing happened today. While trying to get a flat pancake, one of the attendants for the gym came in and asked if I was a gymnast. We got to talking and she suggested I contact the local gymnast centre to offer to teach, or at least get some instruction and use the facility.

While I think it would be a really bad idea for me to teach ("okay class, let's try this." *CRUNCH* "Everyone hear that? That's not supposed to happen. No little Jimmy, don't bother with the ice. I'll wait a few months until it's a bigger problem. Dorp.") I was amazed that someone thought I was good enough to.

Gavin Strelitz

Erik, you have a pretty intense work capacity if I may say so. Nice.

Erik Sjolin

Thanks Gavin! Like I've said earlier on though, when you're doing it, it's really not all that bad.

Erik Sjolin

Ugh, felt absolutely dead this time around. Still managed to do my wrist series, FSPs, and a few core exercises (L-sit lifts, V-ups lift, locust and half hollowback), but it took way more time than it should have, and it didn't really feel all that great.

Going to do some PL leans and scap work later tonight. Hopefully I'll be more energized tomorrow.

Erik Sjolin

Tough getting started today, but had a decent time at the gym.

wrist series and FSP (FL, BL, L-sit)

Yewkis (3x5)

FL pulls (3x5)

weighted chins (3x3 @ 120lbs. Didn't fare so well today)

OAC assisted (approx 35 lbs. Hard to tell on this machine)

OAOL pushups (3x10)

PPP plus (3x5)

stooped HeSPU (I find I can keep my shoulder blades in if I have my elbows go out at approx 45 degrees from centre. Also hurts less)

weighted dips (3x5 @ 45lbs)

bicep curls (various weights)

tricep extensions (3x5 @ 55lbs)

back squats (3x5 @ 185lbs)

hamstring curls (3x5 @ 180lbs)

tiptoe PL (3x30s, trying to keep a good position and stay as light on the toes as possible)

various stretches and prehab work.

Not the greatest day today since I woke up feeling like I ran a marathon. Still, I managed to get through it, and I plan on only doing wall extensions for the rest of the day.

Erik Sjolin

wrist series

FSP (straddle L and MSH)

PL leans

10 mins wall runs

Now I plan on spending the rest of my day stretching and relaxing. I've been feeling pretty crappy lately, so I'm limiting myself to just this.

Also scapula stuff. Maybe. :roll: