Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

shoulder prehab

mightyatom

Hi

i've been doing a little "reaserch", learning the anatomy of the shoulders and prehab excersices.

So far, this is what i think would make an excellent shoulder prehab work, but i would be glad to hear the forum's opinion on this.

I would do "basic shoulder ROM and stabilty routine" and the "scapula movilization routine"(videos below) excersices, plus, wall extensions.

y4Wo095zPnc

1YHIV4a81Os

Also, what kind of elastic band should i buy to do this? how much lbs of resistance should i use? if there are strength excercises with resistance bands that are worth trying, then i should look for a way to keep adding lbs of resistance as i grow stronger.

anyways, thanks for reading!

For these types of exercises the resistance should not feel heavy to you.

Ido, ironically, has become very anti rubber tubing, and now uses a long strand of light bungee cord. He claims the pull is more even. If you use a light (Lifeline purple for example) you will get the same even pull, its just not much resistance. I'm personally happy with standard rubber tubing, of course the more you stretch it the harder it is to pull, that's how tubing works.

Anyway, what you use depends on how much you get into it. To start ANYTHING will work, a loop like Ido uses in the video, a tube, or even those giant rubber bands they use in Pilates classes.

Over time you might wind up collecting different bands for different purposes.

There are four main types -

Pilates style rubber bands- these are wide and thin, they tear easily but are also very inexpensive.

Long rubber tubing: These work great for general warm ups, you will need some way to anchor them, stall bars, wall hooks, or the door attachment that most come with.

Short Rubber tubes: These are often called Chest Expanders. There are numerous exercises that can be done and many of the one's done with longer tubing can be worked out for shorter.

Heavy Loops: Iron Woody and Jump Stretch are big players here. These are very durable and versatile, i personally like them best for assistance purposes but they also work well for prehab.

Its a forgotten fact that various forms of rubber tubing predate barbells and were once the most common form of resistance training. They are inexpensive, lightweight and easy to store.

I have a couple of detailed guides to cable pulling that i have been given permission to distribute on my website -

http://yoga-horizons.com/?p=87