Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stretch before Front Lever (Help)

chingyvang

I was doing fine with my FL tuck holds but the other day, I had this weird electrical feeling in my arms while holding. I thought it was due to lack of proper warm ups so I stopped. Just yesterday night I had a 2 minute jog and stretched my arms, back, legs like crazy and I still got the electrical feeling when holding FL tuck. Can anyone show me some proper stretches? All my stretches are just what we did back in PE class in high school; swinging both arms around, chin to chest, leg stretches, etc

Aaron Griffin

"Electrical feeling" sounds like it's nerve related. Might by pinching something

Joshua Naterman

Most likely the radian and/or median nerve is getting compressed by the muscles. Could be other branches of the brachial plexus but either way some self active release for the arms and neck should clear that up. If not, see an ART practitioner!

• Upvote 1

Aaron Griffin

Does it happen to be in the forearms only, radiating from the elbow? That happens to me periodically in my right arm. I can't recall the name of the nerve (something like "Ulnular" or whatever), but I seem to pinch it when in full elbow lock out

Joshua Naterman

Could be. In the neck you specifically want to hit anterior and medial scalenes. That's where all the brachial plexus nerve roots come out of the neck. If those are tight you can have problems. From there you can just look at google body or other anatomical resource, see where each nerve goes, and work on the muscles on top of them.

WitnessTheFitness
Does it happen to be in the forearms only, radiating from the elbow? That happens to me periodically in my right arm. I can't recall the name of the nerve (something like "Ulnular" or whatever), but I seem to pinch it when in full elbow lock out

I'm very relieved to know that this happens to other people. I haven't done back levers in months because it would take about three days for my nerves to return to normal, and now I'm developing the same issue with front levers. I've tried various solutions, but nothing has worked so far :(

Aaron Griffin
I'm very relieved to know that this happens to other people.

From my basic research, I've found it happens to a lot of people and the general response is "it's just the way your body is built" and there's not much you can do about it.

Not 100% sure, but last time it happened, I felt it throughout my entire arm from shoulders to forearm. The feeling is stronger in my left arm though.