Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help me with my beginner routine

jugglinggymnast

jugglinggymnast

I’m new to gymnastics and I just completed my first week of bodyweight training. I would like to make sure I’m doing everything correctly. I am using the Killroy70 template. Here’s what my first SSC looks like:

Warmup:

-Joint/mobility prep

-FSP work – If I understand correctly we’re supposed to do 50% of our max hold for however many sets it takes to get to 60 seconds of total time. I do a circuit going from L-sit to Handstand to tuck front lever to German hang and hold each (except HS) for 10s. I then take about a 45 second rest and start the circuit again, repeat 6x. For HS, I hold for about 20 sec against wall and then freestand until losing balance ( usually around 2 seconds). Main focus now is getting L-sit to 60 seconds and getting a freestanding HS.

Here’s what I accomplished in this week’s workout:

Monday: 5x5 PPP, 5x5 tuck front lever pulls (3-4 minutes rest between sets for all exercises every day of week)

Tuesday: 5x5 Inverted Chinup, 5x5 regular dips

Thursday: 5x5 30 lb weighted chins, 5x5 HeSPU –box

Friday: 5x5 L-Chin up, 5x5 dips (originally planned 5x5 pullovers, 5x5 XR negative muscle up, but I got scared trying pullovers for the first time and the rings weren’t available at my gym so I improvised, found out that I could easily do L-chins – had never done them before) I’m going to replace the 30 lb chins on Thurs with L – chin ups for the rest of this SSC.

I plan on cutting volume in half once every 5 workouts.

Questions:

What’s a good sub for pullovers while I’m still scared to do them? I have no spotter and my gym is not at all a safe place to do them

Is it bad to do pull heavy work on consecutive days? Like me doing weighted chins and then L-chins the next day?

Is my circuit training method for FSP warmup the way it’s supposed to be done? Will that yield optimal results?

Am I doing the correct amount of sets and reps for optimal strength development? Everyone seems to say 3x5 or 5x5.

Let’s take Monday’s workout for example, I do one set of 5 PPP, rest 3-4 minutes then do another set of 5 PPP, repeat for the 5 sets. That’s how I do all my workouts. Is that the way it should be done? I’ve heard also that you can make circuits and say do 5 PPP and immediately do 5 tuck FL pulls and take rest after that. That would make the workout go faster but will it yield optimal strength development?

How would leg work best be added into this routine? Should I include core work as well?

Am I missing anything?

Sorry for the length of this post I just have many questions as a noob and I just really want to make sure that I’m doing everything I can to progress as fast as possible.

L-chins really aren't the same as weighted pullups. See how your joints feel the day after the weighted pulls and don't do them if they're just aching the next day. More than likely you'll be fine.

I've used circuits, when you need to meet a limited time schedule they work. Generally I only used front lever, planche, back lever or some reorganization of that order.

I don't really consider the L-sit or HS an FSP. They are by definition them, but I have never grouped them with levers and planche/ring support. I generally put in the L-sit before because afterwards I'm just typically too done to do them effectively. Yes, I did notice they might eat into FSP training performance but oh well. Hollow and arch holds are something you can group in the WU with HS.

The FSP WU is not levers and planche/ring supports. It's hollow and arch hold, plank holds in front, rear and side support and german hang. They are FSP prerequites well part of them since each FSP has prerequisites before they are to be trained.

Generally I do HS shrugs when I do all my hang and support shrugs. I throw in some HS holds for 60s with my support and hang 30-60s holds such as german hang, pb support, swiss ball front and rear straight arm plank and such. So I will do a hang hold, then a support hold and so on.

jugglinggymnast

I don't really consider the L-sit or HS an FSP. They are by definition them, but I have never grouped them with levers and planche/ring support. I generally put in the L-sit before because afterwards I'm just typically too done to do them effectively. Yes, I did notice they might eat into FSP training performance but oh well. Hollow and arch holds are something you can group in the WU with HS.

The FSP WU is not levers and planche/ring supports. It's hollow and arch hold, plank holds in front, rear and side support and german hang. They are FSP prerequites well part of them since each FSP has prerequisites before they are to be trained.

I was under the impression that once we had mastered this warmup:

60s plank

60s reverse plank

60s perfect hollow hold with hands over your head

60s arch hold in the superman flying position

60s Parallel Bar support.

60s chin up grip dead hang

then we could go onto training actual fsp positions. I guess we're still supposed to do those in our warmup if you say you still do them. you are undoubtedly much more experienced than me in gymnastics. I need help with this part of the workout I'm not sure what to do now.

I'm just having a hard time understanding what exactly I'm supposed to do with the FSP warmup section...this is so much harder than XFit where it was as easy as just looking up the WOD and scaling weight if necessary.