Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Good Planche Routine For Me?

Yaad Mohammad

Yaad Mohammad

I've been training the planche since february now, I can hold the straddle planche for 4-5 seconds but I don't really have a routine. I just do planches and handstand and l-sits whenever I'm bored. But I think that a routine would speed up the progress. So what would be a good routine including rest days? Thanks a lot in advance!

I've been training the planche since february now, I can hold the straddle planche for 4-5 seconds but I don't really have a routine. I just do planches and handstand and l-sits whenever I'm bored. But I think that a routine would speed up the progress. So what would be a good routine including rest days? Thanks a lot in advance!

Firstly, you are training planche for 5 months, and you can do a straddle? what?

Secondly, search for Ido's workout for planche/FL

Joshua Naterman

Working PPP, weighted when you can, and working on tuck PL push ups will help build strength. What you're doing is really one of the best ways to go as long as you don't go overboard. You have to remember that at this point your connective tissue is what will get hurt, so no matter how strong you get don't increase volume or difficulty more than once every 8 weeks and don't increase it too much. What you do should be moderately challenging at best! Your muscles will get strong about twice as fast as your connective tissues, that is why you will have to go so slowly. You will be building HUGE amounts of strength, you just need to be careful how much of it you use.

Serratus push ups and weighted foot-supported rows will help with scapular stability which will also increase your planche ability. I have also found that OAC work seems to be highly beneficial.

Yaad Mohammad

Firstly, you are training planche for 5 months, and you can do a straddle? what?

Secondly, search for Ido's workout for planche/FL

I actually started doing handstands 5 months ago. Then I saw the planche and started with that. I've always been stronger naturally than other people and I build up strength real quick. I think I'll have the planche next month.

Working PPP, weighted when you can, and working on tuck PL push ups will help build strength. What you're doing is really one of the best ways to go as long as you don't go overboard. You have to remember that at this point your connective tissue is what will get hurt, so no matter how strong you get don't increase volume or difficulty more than once every 8 weeks and don't increase it too much. What you do should be moderately challenging at best! Your muscles will get strong about twice as fast as your connective tissues, that is why you will have to go so slowly. You will be building HUGE amounts of strength, you just need to be careful how much of it you use.

Serratus push ups and weighted foot-supported rows will help with scapular stability which will also increase your planche ability. I have also found that OAC work seems to be highly beneficial.

Right! I'll note that down. One more question what is better: Training 3 days in a row on the same muscle group then rest for 4 days or 1 day training, 1 day resting, 1 day training etc?

Joshua Naterman

One on, one off without question for planche-type training. What you are trying to do and the timeline you are using is dangerous. I will suggest that you not try any full planche until you have a 15+s straddle. You are free to do what you like, but many strong people have gotten hurt by moving too fast and once you build up tendon problems they take a long time to fix. That is my suggestion.

Days on and off mean nothing without taking intensity and overall volume into account. I can not give a good answer to that question beyond what I have said above, and I have no idea what your overall volume is. That's the kind of stuff that is a bit too complicated to do for free.

Yaad Mohammad
One on, one off without question for planche-type training. What you are trying to do and the timeline you are using is dangerous. I will suggest that you not try any full planche until you have a 15+s straddle. You are free to do what you like, but many strong people have gotten hurt by moving too fast and once you build up tendon problems they take a long time to fix. That is my suggestion.

Days on and off mean nothing without taking intensity and overall volume into account. I can not give a good answer to that question beyond what I have said above, and I have no idea what your overall volume is. That's the kind of stuff that is a bit too complicated to do for free.

Right, I'll just listen to my body. I presume that doing sets of 3X10 sets of advanced tuck planches days on and days off would be good enough to build up strength?

Joshua Naterman

Are you saying 3 sets of 10s or 3 sessions per day of 10 sets? The former should be a joke for you, the latter is an awful lot for the tendons and I would suggest against it. I really wouldn't ever do more than 3-4 sets in a training session and I would never do any of them to failure except for maybe the very last hold 1-2 days a week. Probably just 1 day a week. Also, failure means failure to maintain form, not absolute muscular failure. You don't want to train a bad position.

If you are doing straddle work you should have no trouble doing 1-2 sets of 15-20s adv tuck every off day and doing 3-4 sets of straddle planche every on day, according to your set up. You probably should take one day off for recovery if you feel like you need it, but on that off day 1 set of adv tuck should still be appropriate, maybe just 10s.

Yaad Mohammad
Are you saying 3 sets of 10s or 3 sessions per day of 10 sets? The former should be a joke for you, the latter is an awful lot for the tendons and I would suggest against it. I really wouldn't ever do more than 3-4 sets in a training session and I would never do any of them to failure except for maybe the very last hold 1-2 days a week. Probably just 1 day a week. Also, failure means failure to maintain form, not absolute muscular failure. You don't want to train a bad position.

If you are doing straddle work you should have no trouble doing 1-2 sets of 15-20s adv tuck every off day and doing 3-4 sets of straddle planche every on day, according to your set up. You probably should take one day off for recovery if you feel like you need it, but on that off day 1 set of adv tuck should still be appropriate, maybe just 10s.

The problem is, I can hold the straddle only when I'm in a good form, which I'm only when I've rest for 3-4 days.

I actually started doing handstands 5 months ago. Then I saw the planche and started with that. I've always been stronger naturally than other people and I build up strength real quick. I think I'll have the planche next month.
The problem is, I can hold the straddle only when I'm in a good form, which I'm only when I've rest for 3-4 days.

Sorry to disappoint you but you are far, very far to have the full planche next month :shock:

It takes more time than you can imagine.

Also do you speak with perfect form ?

Yaad Mohammad

Sorry to disappoint you but you are far, very far to have the full planche next month :shock:

It takes more time than you can imagine.

Also do you speak with perfect form ?

You tell me:

mf7xn.jpg

It looks like the legs are not totally extended , otherwise it's perfect.

You seem to not point your toes. you should do.

At least you have almost a perfect 4-5 sec straddle planche, closer to the full planche but still not the next month lol, in fact straddle planche is not the only factor before get the full planche, but i can't tell more about it ...

Yaad Mohammad
It looks like the legs are not totally extended , otherwise it's perfect.

You seem to not point your toes. you should do.

At least you have almost a perfect 4-5 sec straddle planche, closer to the full planche but still not the next month lol, in fact straddle planche is not the only factor before get the full planche, but i can't tell more about it ...

Well, I got no real rush really. But if I'd train real hard now, I think I can hold a full planche for 3 seconds in the end of the month. But I've trained too hard these days, my left shoulder hurts.

Yeah do'nt train too hard, you'll just get hurt , nothing else

We shall see if you get the full pl within a month, i'm sure you won't, not to down you or something, you just can't strengthen your tendon in such a short time.

Also, you can have a very solid straddle planche and be really far from hold a full planche.

Anyway good luck with your training man, be patient and don't rush that's all or you will regret it.

Yaad Mohammad
Yeah do'nt train too hard, you'll just get hurt , nothing else

We shall see if you get the full pl within a month, i'm sure you won't, not to down you or something, you just can't strengthen your tendon in such a short time.

Also, you can have a very solid straddle planche and be really far from hold a full planche.

Anyway good luck with your training man, be patient and don't rush that's all or you will regret it.

I'm not gonna train too hard, I have no rush. I need to be able to do a planche in like 3 months, and I think I can do it by then.

Joshua Naterman

That means you are not ready to truly train straddle. Here is what you should be doing, based on everyone else that I have helped so far:

1 day per week, preferably the last day, of straddle planche work.

3 days per week of tuck PL, unless you can do a 60s perfect tuck. If you can, go ahead and do advanced tuck. You will see big increases from this, but you need to take it slowly. Do the exact same thing for each tuck or advanced tuck training session. Do not make it harder when it starts to get easy. That is how you will slow down your progress and get hurt. Stick to the SSC.

Setting up the tuck or adv tuck days:

Take your max tuck hold. If you do not get 60s, and that means 59 seconds seriously, divide the time in half and do 2-3 sets that day. That's all it takes. If you do more your straddle day will suffer.

Setting up straddle day:

I will suggest to you that you should be doing sets of 2-3 seconds with 60-90s rests scaling slowly up to 2.5 minutes. When you can not perform a correct hold for the required time your day is done. If that's the 4th set then that's ok, because you will notice a big improvement next week. Also, if you get to 8-10 sets you are also done, even if you feel fine. That is what we want, eventually.

If you go to failure you will wear out very quickly and you will be MUCH more likely to get hurt.

EDIT: Sir, you are in a very very wide straddle. You are 100% not going to be ready to safely practice full PL in 3 months. If you follow the program I gave you above, you may very well be able to hold it for 1-2 seconds in 3 months based on where you are at now, and if you absolutely HAVE to do that then do it ONCE, just to show yourself you have it, and then put it away. Only test it once a month for one hold until you have a SOLID 15s straddle AND a 45+s advanced tuck. At that point you should be perfectly safe practicing full planche at least twice a week.

I am trying to get you there as quickly as humanly possible without injuring you, and I hope you take what I have given to heart.

Rafael David

Rago, If I were you, I would listen to what Slizz says and expect more before attempting the full planche. It is not a race, keep calm and patience that you will get there, but do not skip steps, otherwise you could get hurt seriously.

I'm not gonna train too hard, I have no rush. I need to be able to do a planche in like 3 months, and I think I can do it by then.

Why you want to get the full planche within 3 months, a contest or something you will attend ?

I'm not totally agree with what said Slizz, not that is wrong, it is just i have done differently but 'im agree with

" Sir, you are in a very very wide straddle "
which mean that you are even further to the full pl.

Joshua Naterman

No worries Ashita, there's more than one way to get there! This is just the best combination of simple and safe I have been able to put together. I would love to hear how you did your planche training to get a solid straddle and then full! It seems we both believe in taking our time, and to me that's the underlying truth in training: Take your time and the strength will come!

Yaad Mohammad

Why you want to get the full planche within 3 months, a contest or something you will attend ?

I'm not totally agree with what said Slizz, not that is wrong, it is just i have done differently but 'im agree with

" Sir, you are in a very very wide straddle "
which mean that you are even further to the full pl.

I'm a dancer and I have a dance performance by then.

That means you are not ready to truly train straddle. Here is what you should be doing, based on everyone else that I have helped so far:

1 day per week, preferably the last day, of straddle planche work.

3 days per week of tuck PL, unless you can do a 60s perfect tuck. If you can, go ahead and do advanced tuck. You will see big increases from this, but you need to take it slowly. Do the exact same thing for each tuck or advanced tuck training session. Do not make it harder when it starts to get easy. That is how you will slow down your progress and get hurt. Stick to the SSC.

Setting up the tuck or adv tuck days:

Take your max tuck hold. If you do not get 60s, and that means 59 seconds seriously, divide the time in half and do 2-3 sets that day. That's all it takes. If you do more your straddle day will suffer.

Setting up straddle day:

I will suggest to you that you should be doing sets of 2-3 seconds with 60-90s rests scaling slowly up to 2.5 minutes. When you can not perform a correct hold for the required time your day is done. If that's the 4th set then that's ok, because you will notice a big improvement next week. Also, if you get to 8-10 sets you are also done, even if you feel fine. That is what we want, eventually.

If you go to failure you will wear out very quickly and you will be MUCH more likely to get hurt.

EDIT: Sir, you are in a very very wide straddle. You are 100% not going to be ready to safely practice full PL in 3 months. If you follow the program I gave you above, you may very well be able to hold it for 1-2 seconds in 3 months based on where you are at now, and if you absolutely HAVE to do that then do it ONCE, just to show yourself you have it, and then put it away. Only test it once a month for one hold until you have a SOLID 15s straddle AND a 45+s advanced tuck. At that point you should be perfectly safe practicing full planche at least twice a week.

I am trying to get you there as quickly as humanly possible without injuring you, and I hope you take what I have given to heart.

Right, thanks a lot. And I haven't attempted on doing full planches, I already made a promise not to do one before I can hold a straddle planche for 15 seconds. Another note, I always thought my straddles were rather unwide. If you look at it from that angle it does look wide. I do know that mine are around this:

Tt7s_DYWYEWaE.jpg

One more note, are you 100% sure I won't be able to do it in 3 months? I've been training since february, started with 3 second tuck planche. 1 month later I could hold it for 20 seconds. 1 month later 40 seconds. Then I stopped making progress, kinda gave up because the advanced tuck planche was too hard. But yeah 2 months later, 5 seconds advanced, and few days later 15 seconds. Now I'm around 30 seconds. Through out this training I noticed that when I take it easy I gain around 10 more seconds for the current stage I'm on per month. This differs of course when I get higher.

So I do believe that there is a possibility for me to be able to do a full planche in 3 months with your technique if I stay truly dedicated to it as I will. I'll be starting as soon as I heal from my shoulder pain. But it's not something I have to be able to do quite necessary, but it would be rather nice. I won't push myself and I'll stay dedicated to your schedule, once again, thanks a lot.

Also what would you recommend: I can hold a tuck planche perfectly for 1 minute. Should I do sets of advanced or normal tuck planches with weight?

So you are saying you was just doing planche everyday when you were bored? and you've made such progress? I would really like to have straddle planche (I'm working on active flex. so it can be really wide) till december, so I'm looking for everything that could help me, slizz has a really good training plan, and I would really like to know too what template ashita used to get his. By now I have 20s tuck planche and a momentary (1-2s) adv. tuck planche, no injury. And the only thing I'm doing now are PL leans.

I'm a dancer and I have a dance performance by then.

oh ok.

One more note, are you 100% sure I won't be able to do it in 3 months?

Nope, there is always exception, can't be sure at 100%, just train hard and you will see :)

Yaad Mohammad
So you are saying you was just doing planche everyday when you were bored? and you made such progress? I would really like to have straddle planche (I'm working on active flex. so it can be really wide) till december, so I'm looking for everything that could help me, slizz has a really good training plan, and I would really like to know too what template ashita used to get his. By now I have 20s tuck planche and a momentary (1-2s) adv. tuck planche, no injury. And the only thing I'm doing now are PL leans.

Jep, I could keep on training whenever I wanted, but lately my muscles are too tired. I need a week rest to train that hard again.

Joshua Naterman

If you stick with things you may be able to but I would save a single test hold for the week before your performance. Then bust it out at the performance and you should be good, but you may be better off sticking to a straddle if the full lay is shaky. 3 months is a long time, you will get a lot of strength between now and then, but be very careful not to mess with it too soon!

Yaad Mohammad
If you stick with things you may be able to but I would save a single test hold for the week before your performance. Then bust it out at the performance and you should be good, but you may be better off sticking to a straddle if the full lay is shaky. 3 months is a long time, you will get a lot of strength between now and then, but be very careful not to mess with it too soon!

Right, so this is my schedule now:

Monday - Tuck planche day

Wednesday - tuck planche day

Friday - tuck plance day

Sunday - straddle planche day

Tuesday - tuck planche day etc...

Is that good enough?

Joshua Naterman

Looks pretty reasonable to me. Don't forget bent-arm training as well, it helps. Pseudo planche push ups specifically.