Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

XR Support Hold Shoulder Position

u3er

Hi guys,

In my quest to improve the finer details of my (un-coached!) ring strength techniques, I am hoping to gain some insight into proper shoulder position during an XR Support Hold. Assuming a proper rings-turned-out wrist/elbow position, how should the shoulders be placed? Are they to be internally rotated (shoulders forward, scapula spread, chest tight), or externally rotated (shoulders back, scapula tight, chest broad)?

At the moment, I've been practicing an internally rotated shoulder position and this seems MUCH easier than an externally rotated position (especially with balance). Am I doing it right?

Thanks in advance,

A.J.

Reece Nugent

Not sure if this will help but heres my take on it...

See the video: Ring strength 2 here: jFdz0yjVLik

At the 5sec mark is the proper XR support hold. It is shown again at the 12-14sec mark after the forward roll.

Your arms should be externally rotated. shoulders back, scapula tight, chest broad.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaXA78t7pzIhODn3tPodlsaaNsy1AJXoyvnGEQW-wzOjez7G2Bdg

Like the Shavasana in yoga except you keep your arms close to your body. And your up on rings :)

The way i look at it, being a beginner to gymnastics training if some thing's easy... then im doing it wrong lol

Its worked for me on numerous occasions lol

Hey Nugget,

Thanks for your reply! I too have studied this video (and a bunch others), but I actually interpreted it as an internally rotated position, particularly because of the very noticeable chest activation. Maybe I'm using the wrong language with "internal" and "external" rotation though.

I guess that with a rings-turned-out position your shoulders are automatically externally rotated... So I am more so curious about whether the shoulder are more forward in the socket (slightly forward, not necessarily as exaggerated as in the planche) or totally backwards. The difference is subtle but the impact is very noticeable. Unfortunately it's very hard to find ring videos/pictures that show a support from a side angle! I can post some pictures of myself in the 2 positions described later tonight if that would be helpful.

Thanks again,

A.J.

Reece Nugent

I know what you mean but i don't know, im interested in the answer as well. I never actually thought about it up till now...

Still post the videos though.

The arms rotate out (RTO) but due to the strong pectoral activation the scapula will be protracted and depressed, however not necessarily as much as planche. Being a static position, the antagonists will also be working so support hold hits the entire shoulder girdle.

Coach has made comments in the past that in some positions their will be individual variance on the exact position of the scapula, i imagine the same holds here.

Thanks for the detailed response, Mr. Brady. This essentially confirms that my form is in fact okay! If anyone would still find photos to be useful I can try to upload some...

Cheers,

A.J.

Samuel Carr

)I think of it as the halfway point between planche (protracted scapula) and victorian (retracted scapula [i think]), so i guess shoulders are kind of neutrally activated and not extreme towards either direction