Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Closed shoulders make arch holds difficult

Sam Rea

Finally got around to joining the site after lurking for a while. As this is my first post, I'd like to say a big thank you to the regular contributors; you're advice has been invaluable. Searching through old posts almost always uncovers a mine of information, so I've not had cause to ask a question until now.

After reading several posts on pre-requisites I see that achieving 3x60s arch holds is recommended before starting back lever training. I'm currently training 3x30s arch holds twice a week. What makes these really tough for me is that my shoulder flexibility is poor (I'm working on that too, but progress is slow). After a short period of time I really have to fight to keep my shoulders open and eventually my hands droop to the floor. I tried an arch hold yesterday on a table, so that there was nothing under my arms, and could hold this for 60s no problem. So what I'm asking is, is this cheating? Is this pre-requisite just about lower back strength (which I think in my case is adequate), or would it be beneficial to build up the active shoulder flexibility to be able to do the 3x60s holds on the floor?

Hmmm I can only really guess at what your problem is as I haven't encountered this before. But it sounds as if you are lacking the back strength to keep your arms up. For an "arch hold" there is a simultaneous lifting of arms (and upper body) and legs. Lifting your legs is different to lifting your arms. Maybe you could try doing pulses just lifting your arms (and upper body) up and down whilst leaving your legs on the ground. This might help you strengthen up that particular muscle group.

The reason I don't think it's a shoulder flex problem is that; as you are lifting your upper body and shoulders up off the ground, it should be high enough so that even with slightly closed shoulders your hands can still stay off the ground. Also you stated you can lift up off the ground but its just hard which also leads me to believe that it's a strength, not flex, problem.

Hope this helps :D (and is correct haha),

Rev

Thanks Rev. Just to clarify, I'm not saying that I can't do an arch hold correctly on the floor (ie, lifting both legs and arms off the floor; all my weight on my belly). Just that after 30s of holding that position, my shoulders start to give out, whilst my lower back isn't really tired. Bear in mind that, with my back fully contracted and my shoulders as open as I can hold them, my hands are only a few centimetres off the floor.

Oh ok well I still think it's a lack of strength however your lack of shoulder flexibility may be making it a bit harder, I've just never really heard of anything like that. It might also be a lack of strength in your shoulders if that is the muscle group giving out first!

Good luck mate,

Rev

If your shoulders are fairly tight, it will require more effort to keep them raised.

I would simply work in some arm lifts to superman with weight or a bar . Band pulls from standing to arch might work as well.

Thanks for both of your replies!

Hadn't thought of that Blairbob - weighting the lift sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a try for a few weeks.