Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One handed

Daryl Chan

Daryl Chan

Hello my first post here after some confusion about making the account i am finally in, I am larger built person, kinda chunky about 5"6 190 pounds, and ive just started to get more into hand balancing.

I have been doing it for fun, just on a hack around base, once in a while not to often but am taking it much more seriously now training daily for a bit.

I have alright handstands straight legs, and straddle i think im doing alright but for one hand i am just starting to explore that, and i am training with one hand and fingertips, if anyone can suggest anything to me that would be amazing thank you see my post and tell me what you think comments tips etc are greatly appreciated.

ps can someone explain how to post the video, and embed it in the post thanks.

Tyler Phillips

Your handstands look great, imo - better than mine. :(

The logical answer to training one-hand HS is to just do the standard HS progressions from the start but on one hand: Doing them against a wall for time (what I do currently) to build that strength and get a feel for just how much the shoulder and traps need to press, working them in straddle vs straight while freestanding to help with balance. Working on fingers like you were doing is good too, and can also be one way to train finger strength if you want. It doesn't look like balance is an issue at all for you so if you've got the strength and don't need a wall then maybe just try straddling out and going on one hand? Doing ring HS would help build the strength as well.

As far as the balance I can't offer much personal advice or tricks, having never strictly held a freestanding one longer than a second. From what I can tell you just need to ease your way into it until you have it, such as coming off the "free hand" one finger at a time as you feel stronger and more confident.

Some of the others may be able to offer better advice, since you likely thought of all this already. Until then, I think this should work well.