Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

L sit Wall bar vs PB?

newguy5000

newguy5000

Hi everyone. I have begun L sit training am in my first steady state cycle. I am doing them on some dip bars. In a month or so i return back to work and at the back of the rec centre on campus there are some old school gymnastic wall bars / ladder things that was probably installed when the gym was built back in the day and nobody has ever used since.

I was considering doing some exercises on them on my lunch break and was curious as to whether its better for me to do L sits on the dips bars in the gym - or hang from the Gymnastic wall bars and Lsit on that instead? is there much of a difference in terms of development>?

Eddie Stelling

An L-sit and an L-hang are very different. The L-sit involves the use of your shoulders and your upper body much more than you think, you have to push hard into the floor or bars and protract the shoulders and pull your butt as high as you can. It also takes abdominal compression to maintain an L-sit (try it on the floor and you will see what I mean). These are the two reasons a 60s or 3x30s L-sit is one of Coach's pre-reqs before beginning planche training. The L-hang is only using your abs and your quads to support your legs in the L-position. Don't replace your L-sit training with an L-hang, add it to your training. You can also work hanging leg lifts, circular leg lifts, windshield wipers.....all kinds of stuff that involve L-hangs so to speak, (you pass through the L-hang on most of the moves I just described).

Also hamstring flexibility will hinder your ability to hold a good L-sit, work on that too. Hope that helps a bit.

Besides the HLL stuff on the stall/swedish bars, you can check out some of Ido Portal's support positions on swedish bars. You can also do reverse leg lifts while upside down on them as well besides using them to stretch.

newguy5000

Thanks for the responses guys you really cleared that up for me. I will continue with the L Sit on the Dip bars. I am moving house in a couple of months and will lose all space at home to do my workouts so i am transporting myself to my uni gym. Hope they don't mind me hanging upside down on my rings in there :)

I will look up IDO's wall bar stuff. It's funny i used to play basketball for years down in the uni rec centre right next to where these stall bars are and always wondered what the hell those wooden bars were.

Will definitely tool around on them when i am back at work reverse leg lifts sound interesting!

Also, consider that doing L-sit on floor is different (on bars you have good grip and some extra inches for legs that helps alot). The differences I experienced are:

you have to push more with your shoulder/triceps/pecs, squeeze more the abs, mantain bent wrists

For alot of time I did only the bars variation. Now I'm improving little by little on floor and feel way more strong. In fact the latter has a total trasfer on the first, but the contrary is not possible.