Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chest roll exercise examples

Gavin Strelitz

Gavin Strelitz

Hi all,

I am doing the WODs a week behind and got to the Chest roll to Planche exercise yesterday. I was completely confused by this and tried to do the scaled down versions in the book. I just couldn't quite get my head around the motion though. Could anyone pop up a quick vid of some chest roll exercises? It would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

This has been a tough one for me as well. I've only managed it once to HeS, that was in Mallorca on a gymnastic floor, i don't know why it mattered, of if it was just a good day.

I've got decent back flexibility but it also requires a good deal of pressing strength and timing. One cue that Dillon gave me was to not try to press to soon but rather to wait until you are almost on the forehead, this was very helpful.

One simple progression i use is Arch Rocks, Arch Rock with Hands and the sides and a small press. I also try this with my hips elevated on a bolster to get better leverage for my ability.

Germans may also be a good substitute for the Pl variation.

swahDqto5ic

After someone can do arch rocks, I teach the arch rock from what I call a "Seal" support. This is merely a front support with the hips resting on the floor. I think it's called "Cobra" in yoga.

So from Seal, you drop your chest down with your hands by your armpits and drive your heels up, then rock back to Seal support.

If you have access to one, you can use a panel mat by placing your hands on the floor while your body rests on the panel mat. You can also use a swiss ball for a similar effect.

Those with limited back flexibility will have a more difficult time with this skill. I have a pretty good ROM since I can hold locust position in yoga. It's fun to arch rock to locust for the kids but I do not have the contortionist ability to fold in half.

Richard Hamilton

Thanks for the tips Blairbob. I had a go at rolling from HeS to support to get a feel for the movement and went down like a sack of s**t... I doubt the guy living downstairs was too impressed with 95kg slamming on the floor! I ended up just doing a press up followed by a HeSPU Negative in the end. I'll have a go at some arch rocks next time :)

Joshua Naterman

Hahaha! Nice. Chest rolls are tough. For me, I think that when you have strong PPP and a full ROM HSPU that these won't be bad.

I can do a few reps to handstand, and the better my HSPU strength has gotten the easier these chest rolls have gotten.

This is very hard for me too.

On the last WOD, I tried to rock up to Headstand and failed.

What worked was doing negatives from HS.

Kick up to an Handstand, arch the back and do a very slow negativ HSPU to your chest and let go...roll down as slow as possible too.This teaches how much you need to arch and when to start pressing upwards when you reverse the motion Another tip from the coach was to use sth. elevated like a Aerobic bench ...

I agree with slizzardman it depends alot of your HSPU/PPP strength.

I was really struggling with these and couldn't understand how they were possible but today I easily went to headstand for the first time (could probably go to handstand if I wasn't already tired). What really did it was starting in the seal position with my shoulders behind my hands instead of over or in front of them. That way when I rolled down I went forward and it helped get my legs over my hands. I don't know if that's cheating or what but I never saw anyone talk specifically about that part of it

Gavin Strelitz

Thanks for that guys. I just needed an idea of the timing and the hand positioning. I'll give them a try today.