Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

advanced dynamic stretches

Edward Smith

with dynamic stretches, more advanced ones anyway, the particular one/s i'm talking about is like coach's side splits on rings except on a skateboard. I'm experiencing a bit of soreness i'm sure it's just from overuse and not being used to using the muscles to that extent, i wanted to know what do you guys think are sufficent reps and sets for more advanced dynamic stretches like that?

Guest Ido Portal

The stretch that you describe is dynamic (movment is occuring) but it is not what we usualy call 'dynamic stretches'.

A more appropriate term would be 'stretching under load', but it is not diffrent biomechanicly from any miometric movement - concentric - eccentric.

You do warm up correct? jog around for say about 3 minutes minimum.

I wouldn't really place stretches under sets and reputations, for dynamic stretches it's more of a 20 second hold sort of operation if you know what I mean, and then move onto a new stretch. I've never really been sore from stretching, but I've noticed you can loose flexibility really easily if you don't stick to it, I've maybe had slight tenderness a few times.

Stretching Confusion

You are intermingling passive stretching, active stretching and dynamic stretching. Passive stretching is simply getting into a position and holding it (i.e. a seated pike stretch). Active stretching is performing a stretch under load (i.e. a weighted standing pike stretch) and dynamic stretching (i.e. standing pike bends).

For general fitness training, I recommend warming up with movement and dynamic stretching and then placing the majority of the active and passive stretching work at the end of the workout.

Here is a nice introduction to the power splits.

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47

Your in Fitness,

Coach Sommer