Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Basic 30 Minute Stretching Routine?

Guest exqweezme

Guest exqweezme

I've been digging through this forum quite a bit and have a plan for working the FSP and FBE, but I can't seem to find a basic 30 minute stretching template anywhere, which coach recommends doing once per week.

Does anybody have a basic/general stretching 30 min routine?

Lots of good resources online if you want to do a little reading.

http://agt.degreesofclarity.com/stretching/

http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/doc ... tretching/

and Kurz's Stretching Scientifically is great if you want to drop some coin.

If you have bands, you may also want to Google around for Dick Hartzell's and any related videos. Here is the lower body Jumpstretch routine that is awesome

I have also been thinking about implementing a stretching routine. Now I am just guessing, but for a weekly or bi-weekly routine, I reckon that it would have be some sort of PNF/Contract-relax/isometric routine. Good links in the previous post.

It takes quite a while to reach full ROM with relaxed* stretches. Relaxed* stretching if anything is probably more suitable for a cool down.

Does anyone have experience with Dick Hartzells method of stretching? It seems a little, shall we say, untraditional. It seems to me that a stretching routine where strength is build along with the flexibility is preferable - maybe that is why Coach is talking about DOMS, when referring to the stretching routine?

Edit=*

Quick Start Test Smith

I have a question about the http://agt.degreesofclarity.com/stretching/ routine. The author says that the routine is focused, as any proper one should, on developing active flexibility, but then proceeds to display a routine that consists of entirely passive stretches! Perhaps I am missing a section where he says something like, "This routine should be complemented with a matching isometric routine." Any comments about that?

I have a question about the http://agt.degreesofclarity.com/stretching/ routine. The author says that the routine is focused, as any proper one should, on developing active flexibility, but then proceeds to display a routine that consists of entirely passive stretches! Perhaps I am missing a section where he says something like, "This routine should be complemented with a matching isometric routine." Any comments about that?

The author also states,

Remember that the primary goal is active flexibility; this is the ability to reach a position without any assistance from other limbs, gravity, or another surface. Active flexibility is a function of both passive flexibility and strength in the opposing muscles.

and

Active flexibility work can be added to this, but for the sake of simplicity, the basic routine does not include it; it aims to achieve active flexibility via improvements in static flexibility.

Basically, to develop active flexibility, you'll need to develop strength in the end range of the opposing muscles and stretch the muscles, too, either statically or isometrically.

Here's how you could set up an active flexibility routine:

Hips:

Stretch adductors (side split), then perform standing or side lying hip abductions.

Stretch hip extensors (hamstrings), then perform standing single leg leg lifts with locked knees

Stretch hip extensors (gluteus maximus+adductor magnus), then perform standing single leg leg lifts with the knees in a flexed position

Stretch hip flexors (iliopsoas emphasis), then perform reverse hyperextensions or some other kind of straight legged hip extension movement

Stretch hip flexors (rectus femoris emphasis), then perform hip thrusts or glute bridges.

For all hip stretches and active flexibility exercises, avoid compensating with the lower back. For example, don't arch your lower back when doing glute bridges.

Ankles:

Stretch gastrocnemius + soleus, then perform some foot raises

Shoulders:

Stretch flexors (german hang for example), then perform manna work

Stretch extensors/transverse flexors (long head of the triceps, latissimus, pectoralis, e.g. using cat stretch and other ones), then perform IYT exercise (

)

If you have overly tight subscapularis or teres minor/infraspinatus, you may want to do some internal/external rotations stretching, too.

If you don't know what some of these joint articulations mean, take a look here: http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoul ... chor103519

You'll also find some stretches there. Moreover, www.mobilitywod.com is a good site for some stretches.

In addition, you need to do soft tissue work. Especially on muscles that cannot really be stretched, like most of the quadriceps, pectoralis minor, tibialis anterior etc.

Quick Start Test Smith

Ah, excellent. That clears it up! Thanks :)

What I am surprised to see is that he does not include contract/relax (PNF or isometric) stretching or flexibility specific strength work like adductor flies/pulldowns and hamstring pulldowns (Thomas Kurz - Stadion.com). Kurz reports people achieving both the side and front splits within months when developing the strength within the full range of motion plus contract/relax and passive stretching. I include that into my training routine separately, but it does bear mentioning.