Full Planche @ 6'2

Started by jutajata, May 19, 2011 · 124 Replies · 59,351 Views

aiken54

I'm 6'1", 17, still growing, and full of testosterone.

 

Challenge accepted. 

Pafke
Bosco said:

 

Coach Sommer said:

184cm should not be a problem; GB's tallest student is 198cm.  :)

At that height, Erik has amazing mobility, front lever, press handstand and nearly a manna.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

 

We speek in this topic about full planche and coach did not mentioned that he have it so he probably dont.

And being tall in gymnastics is a problem, otherwise elite gymnasts would not be so short. :)

aiken54

Elite gymnasts have an edge by being short. My tightest double front tuck is bigger than the 5 foot 12 year old girl's double front pike.

 

Smaller ball, faster spin = advantage. Doesn't mean I can't do a double front pike. 

 

This is magnified on laid out things from planche to double back. It's much easier to rotate a laid out 5'3" guy twice than a laid out 6'+ guy. So yeah, there's an advantage, but doesn't mean 6'+ guys can't double layout or full planche

Pafke
aiken54 said:

Elite gymnasts have an edge by being short. My tightest double front tuck is bigger than the 5 foot 12 year old girl's double front pike.

 

Smaller ball, faster spin = advantage. Doesn't mean I can't do a double front pike. 

 

This is magnified on laid out things from planche to double back. It's much easier to rotate a laid out 5'3" guy twice than a laid out 6'+ guy. So yeah, there's an advantage, but doesn't mean 6'+ guys can't double layout or full planche

Strenght is different thing then flips.

I heard that shorter people have more conective tisue on joints and that makes them automaticly stronger (correct me if i say something stupid or wrong becouse i dont remember it well what i read).

And the other thing is leverage. When short guy standing in planche position then force of gravitiy affect on him less then it would in tall guy and automaticly he dont need to produce so much power as a tall guy need to stay in lever.

If somebody above 6 ft have ever done a full planche then he was veeery stong, with great genetics and nutrition.

ajoOba
Paf said:

Strenght is different thing then flips.

I heard that shorter people have more conective tisue on joints and that makes them automaticly stronger (correct me if i say something stupid or wrong becouse i dont remember it well what i read).

And the other thing is leverage. When short guy standing in planche position then force of gravitiy affect on him less then it would in tall guy and automaticly he dont need to produce so much power as a tall guy need to stay in lever.

If somebody above 6 ft have ever done a full planche then he was veeery stong, with great genetics and nutrition.

it's also that the relative strength to bodyweight ratio is higher in smaller people

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square-cube_law

 

however, i would not want to be smaller just for gymnastics. it's funny because usually every man wants to be taller. not on this forum :D

aiken54

I'm talking about why gymnasts have a general advantage beyond just strength, why you see more short elite gymnasts. 

 

Got a bit off topic :) 

 

My point is this: 6 foot plus guys may not be the ones to hold full planche the longest, but we can sure as hell achieve it and blow less hard working short guys out of the water despite their natural advantage.

Bosco

This guy is really tall and has a full planche.

Pafke
aiken54 said:

I'm talking about why gymnasts have a general advantage beyond just strength, why you see more short elite gymnasts. 

 

Got a bit off topic :)

 

My point is this: 6 foot plus guys may not be the ones to hold full planche the longest, but we can sure as hell achieve it and blow less hard working short guys out of the water despite their natural advantage.

I never seen somebody 6 ft tall doing full planche so i still think it is impossible. :)

Pafke
Bosco said:

This guy is really tall and has a full planche.

Find his real height, i bet he isnt 6 ft tall.

Bosco

I've found 183 cm so: 6ft.

Pafke
Bosco said:

I've found 183 cm so: 6ft.

No way. Where did you find it i want to see this. :D

Bosco

I don't remember...maybe in youtube comments...maybe... BELIEVE ME !!!!  :D

Pafke

He is doing maltese on this video and that is the first reason why dont believe. And if he can do full planche at this height and hold it pretty long someone should know it and people would be talking around about him. :)

LateStarter@46

@Bosco - I would answer if I knew what to say, but I don't  :( I thought it was a charming video  :)

 

At the end of the day, I trust Coach Sommer's program so I accept the bent arm and straight arm exercises as they come in the journey to a Straddle Planche.

GORIZONT

Ok, i finally found a dude who looks like he is over 6 feet 

It was correct. So it is possible!

korija
GORIZONT said:

Ok, i finally found a dude who looks like he is over 6 feet 

It was correct. So it is possible!

lol wot m8? he is graig baxter he aint that tall

Pafke

Craig Bexter is tall but he isnt 6 ft. Guy on right side is Lachlan Walker and he has 185 cm ( 6'1 ft) and as you can see in photo below Craig is at least 5 cm shorter then him.

http://prntscr.com/3vpcny

korija
Paf said:

Craig Bexter is tall but he isnt 6 ft. Guy on right side is Lachlan Walker and he has 185 cm ( 6'1 ft) and as you can see in photo below Craig is at least 5 cm shorter then him.

http://prntscr.com/3vpcny

lol awkward typo :D, you mean he is?

GORIZONT

Ok i was close, so he is around 6 feet, i tried straddle today although i was tired i hold it for 2 seconds, not worth recording it. 5 seconds is considered done, maybe next time... I'm working on holding adv. tuck for 30+ x 5, my shoulders are dying. 

Pafke

Francesco Antonucci - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuiDbtUcc5tZk2t_Fy51v5A

He has straddle planche for 10+ seconds. He also does full planche pushups easy. I saw a picture of him doing full planche somewere but i cant find it now :angry: , ill post it when i find it.

Untile i saw this guy i was sure that full planche isnt possible for somebody over 6 ft height. I dont have any more words.

He is 185 cm (6'1 ft) tall.

 

Bosco

Do you know about Artem Morozov, he seems pretty tall ( once again i don't have his real height) and his strong as hell.

Him and antonucci could motivate the author off this thread  :D

Bosco

From my opinion, the elements looks more impressive when they are performed by a tall person. 

Am i the only one to think this way ?

B1214N
Bosco said:

From my opinion, the elements looks more impressive when they are performed by a tall person. 

Am i the only one to think this way ?

It's not an opinion, but a fact that it is more impressive when done by a taller person since it is much harder for him.

Edoardo Cagnola
Paf said:

Francesco Antonucci - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuiDbtUcc5tZk2t_Fy51v5A

He has straddle planche for 10+ seconds. He also does full planche pushups easy. I saw a picture of him doing full planche somewere but i cant find it now :angry: , ill post it when i find it.

Untile i saw this guy i was sure that full planche isnt possible for somebody over 6 ft height. I dont have any more words.

He is 185 cm (6'1 ft) tall.

If you are talking about the straddle planche that he does at minute 1:12 is not even a good planche. His hips are too high, so is not actually parallel to the ground. With that being said, the dude is strong! :)

Ps: 185 cm could be tall for gymnastic standard, but in real world is just an average height. I'm considered tall, but not like crazy tall and I'm 194 cm..