Full Planche @ 6'2

Started by jutajata, May 19, 2011 · 124 Replies · 59,351 Views

jutajata

Anyone know someone who can Full Planche for at least 5 seconds with perfect form and is 6'2 or higher?

I want to study what he practices because attributes (low height) can compensate for poor training. I want to find someone who lacks the attributes that can allow them to compensate for poor training to know what are the crucial skills he used to build up full planche without the attributes on his side.

Philip Chubb

I am not sure on his height, but I hear Steve Atlas is pretty tall and I have seen pictures of him doing a planche.

jutajata

I know him. He's big but can only do straddle planche like me :?

Joshua Naterman

I'm hoping I'll have a picture for you in 4-5 years lol! I had straddle planche a few months after I started so I do believe it is possible. It's just a question of keeping my right shoulder healthy while taking the slow road!

Joshua Naterman

Oh, Big Dave can do full planche push ups at 6'1! Have you seen this?

1O6CNx6SCN8

Newguy

I am 6' And I am making some good progress on the PL, I can hold a straddle PL for about 2 seconds! :) (the form is not to good but the arms are locked) however I am still working on the tuck, I just toy around with the straddle :)

j4b

I'm 6'2 and approx 170. I've been working planche training for quite some time now - let me know when you get a good answer. I have a feeling it will depend on individual weaknesses from person to person (lower back for some, shoulder girdle, etc.). Though, from all my friends who eat carnation instant planche for breakfast, they say they all learned by doing PL leans...

jutajata
slizzardman said:
Oh, Big Dave can do full planche push ups at 6'1! Have you seen this?

Man this guy is strong, ill try to reach him trough messages and do some kind of little interview to discover some key points on his training.

j4b said:
I'm 6'2 and approx 170. I've been working planche training for quite some time now - let me know when you get a good answer. I have a feeling it will depend on individual weaknesses from person to person (lower back for some, shoulder girdle, etc.). Though, from all my friends who eat carnation instant planche for breakfast, they say they all learned by doing PL leans...

Yeah you're right about PL leans, i am implementing them more seriously on my training and its really a key point to bridge the gap between straddle and full planche, Ashita recommends a lot this exercise to reach full planche after you have a decent straddle.

Nic Scheelings

I know someone who knows big Dave and used to train with him, I'm pretty sure he's more like my height 5'9 ish. That being said he's still really strong.

Joshua Naterman
Demus said:
I know someone who knows big Dave and used to train with him, I'm pretty sure he's more like my height 5'9 ish. That being said he's still really strong.

Huh. On one of his videos in the comments he said he was 6'1 and like 195 or something. I remember the 6 foot mark and the almost but not quite 200 lbs thing, but that could be wrong.

After this past seminar I am quite positive I will be showing a full planche in the future, so at some point you'll see a 6'2 210+lb planche on the floor!

Warrior'sSuite

Like hell he's 6'1", he has all the traits of being probably 5'5" or something like that. He looks short.

Unless the guys in the video at 3:12 at 6'7"+ or something like that, I doubt he's 6'1", because they look way taller than him, almost a head.

Plus at the end the closeup says "Life is too (whatever it was) to be short", a possible allusion/joke to his short height.

Joshua Naterman

HAHAHA!!! You're right, I finally found his weight and height. 180-190 depending on the video and 5'9. Sorry, I was wrong! I got confused with all the comments from 6 footers on his channel. Good eyes guys!

patchycanno

hey, there was a coach at my gym who had trained the planche for 6 months to accuire a straddle planche on rings for 3 seconds. He has since joined the army, so his some of his stats if they may help.

he was 6'3. 95kg. was able to do fowards and side splits, average back and shoulder flexibility did powerlifing and static holds on rings slowly progressing, never did more or less then his workout planned.

Concentration on just straight arm stength holds only, leans from a box, tuck planche for 10 seconds then straddle.

bench 120kg x5, deadlift 130kg x5, barbell squat 120kg x5. also incorporated runing has he had a 2x 3km run 5 days a week form the train to the gymnastics centre was less then 11 minutes each way. one of the most disciplined people i have ever met.

Pafke
jutajata said:

Anyone know someone who can Full Planche for at least 5 seconds with perfect form and is 6'2 or higher?

I want to study what he practices because attributes (low height) can compensate for poor training. I want to find someone who lacks the attributes that can allow them to compensate for poor training to know what are the crucial skills he used to build up full planche without the attributes on his side.

I think full planche for guy above 6 ft is imposible.

Daniel Burnham

You think everyone who gets full planche uses flawed training because they are short?

I don't know any guys that tall with a full planche but it doesn't mean it's impossible. Harder for sure. It also depends on the build of the person rather than just height.

Pafke
Daniel Burnham said:

You think everyone who gets full planche uses flawed training because they are short?

I don't know any guys that tall with a full planche but it doesn't mean it's impossible. Harder for sure. It also depends on the build of the person rather than just height.

I've never seen anyone who is 6 feet tall doing full planche, also i think there isnt any video or photo on whole internet of any 6 feet dude doing perfect full planche. If somebody who is 6 feet (or above) can do a full planche then he is 1 of 1 000 000 out there and certainly has amazing genetics.

 

Keilani Gutierrez

genetics? or that he actually trained for it? i think too many people throw that word too lightly before considering so many things that go on chemically(metabolic/nutritional) physically/neurologically and in programming.

GB has guys who are training for Manna's (and those are significantly rarer than planches) and Coach included a % of how many of his athletes accomplish manna's in his program.

edit: also, what criteria are you looking at that fall within genetics? structural or metabolic?

Pafke
Keilani Gutierrez said:

edit: also, what criteria are you looking at that fall within genetics? structural or metabolic?

Structural.

Keilani Gutierrez
Paf said:

Structural.

anything other than bone dimensions(length/width)?

Pafke
Keilani Gutierrez said:

anything other than bone dimensions(length/width)?

Well i think on muscles, if he is doing planche at 6 ft or more then he need to have solid muscle mass to generate enough power if im right.

Edit: And as i know having solid muscle mass at 6 ft or more is rare.

Keilani Gutierrez

question, are we speaking in the context of "at the time being there is currently no 6ft individual doing full planches"? because Joshua Naterman has done planches before but there is a discrepancy about an injury that i know nothing about, so i can't speak on his behalf. 

 

because i think you're right, im not in disagreement with you, genetics does play a role in who can do what with an added perk, but it doesn't mean that it's a ball and chain. 

 

that's like saying my physique, whom is favorable for gymnastics, will be able to attain Planche in a shorter time than someone else who also has my body composition. there is an incomplete and mostly, hindsighted observation because even though i have a human body, there isn't another body programmed like mine with the number of sports i do, injuries i've attained and faulty motor patterns i've picked up as a result....it doesn't factor in the entirety of the variables present for that equation to make sense. there's linear time, time spent training, recovery, collagen matrix state(metabolic and structural), protein synthesis rate, hydration, ph of water drank that locks some nutrients out, mental state of belief that the skill is attainable, skill adjustment, neurological state(how effeciently you move and how well the signals travel to the muscle because there is a joint imbalance); as you can see the list has potential to go on and on and on and on. 

 

see what i mean? 

B1214N

Joshua Naterman had straddle planche before, but not full planche. I have heard of people that are 6'-6'2" who have done full planche before so it is not impossible that someone 6 ft or over can attain full planche, but it is rare.

Pafke
Keilani Gutierrez said:

question, are we speaking in the context of "at the time being there is currently no 6ft individual doing full planches"? because Joshua Naterman has done planches before but there is a discrepancy about an injury that i know nothing about, so i can't speak on his behalf. 

 

because i think you're right, im not in disagreement with you, genetics does play a role in who can do what with an added perk, but it doesn't mean that it's a ball and chain. 

 

that's like saying my physique, whom is favorable for gymnastics, will be able to attain Planche in a shorter time than someone else who also has my body composition. there is an incomplete and mostly, hindsighted observation because even though i have a human body, there isn't another body programmed like mine with the number of sports i do, injuries i've attained and faulty motor patterns i've picked up as a result....it doesn't factor in the entirety of the variables present for that equation to make sense. there's linear time, time spent training, recovery, collagen matrix state(metabolic and structural), protein synthesis rate, hydration, ph of water drank that locks some nutrients out, mental state of belief that the skill is attainable, skill adjustment, neurological state(how effeciently you move and how well the signals travel to the muscle because there is a joint imbalance); as you can see the list has potential to go on and on and on and on. 

 

see what i mean? 

As i explore Joshua Naterman never did full planche before.

I see what you mean. I thought you disagree with me, sorry.

Pafke
B1214N said:

Joshua Naterman had straddle planche before, but not full planche. I have heard of people that are 6'-6'2" who have done full planche before so it is not impossible that someone 6 ft or over can attain full planche, but it is rare.

Like i said 1 of 1 000 000 will be able to do full planche, so its like its imposible.

And did you see picture or video of those doing full planches ? :D

Keilani Gutierrez
Paf said:

As i explore Joshua Naterman never did full planche before.

I see what you mean. I thought you disagree with me, sorry.

no apology needed :) it's just one thing to say "it hasn't been done to my knowledge" and another to say "it can't be done" , ya know? that sends a message that it isn't possible, so why try? personally, the entire series on sPL could easily be changed to suit for a Full Planche. but that might be a moot point since by the time you've mastered Straddle Planches, you're already gonna hit Ring work and thats a road for mastering the Maltese. I don't know about you, but Dillon's Pommel Maltese in the GB intro look's pretty steeze.