Full Planche @ 6'2

Started by jutajata, May 19, 2011 · 124 Replies · 59,351 Views

B1214N
Keilani Gutierrez said:

no apology needed :) it's just one thing to say "it hasn't been done to my knowledge" and another to say "it can't be done" , ya know? that sends a message that it isn't possible, so why try? personally, the entire series on sPL could easily be changed to suit for a Full Planche. but that might be a moot point since by the time you've mastered Straddle Planches, you're already gonna hit Ring work and thats a road for mastering the Maltese. I don't know about you, but Dillon's Pommel Maltese in the GB intro look's pretty steeze. 

That's actually a planche. Maltese has the body much closer to floor/hands.

Keilani Gutierrez
B1214N said:

That's actually a planche. Maltese has the body much closer to floor/hands.

coach said he was performing a maltese pushup. on mobile, so i cant link ya
Jon Douglas
Keilani Gutierrez said:

coach said he was performing a maltese pushup. on mobile, so i cant link ya

Huh. Looks like a picture-perfect planche to me. On pommel horse I assumed he was doing Germans or something.

 

I wonder what that looked like in motion.

Keilani Gutierrez
Jon Douglas said:

Huh. Looks like a picture-perfect planche to me. On pommel horse I assumed he was doing Germans or something.

I wonder what that looked like in motion.

thats what I thought too. #shrugg i may have confused threads, i'll do a search and post the link here
B1214N

644-01.jpg

Maltese

 

logoforum.jpg

Planche

 

Now you tell me which one Dillon's look closer to.

Keilani Gutierrez

for the record, im not arguing. i could have sworn it was a planche as well, until coach mentioned it( or cory? idk, im looking for the post and can't seem to find it. )

 

but my question now is, if he's doing a planche(or prepping for a German, then why is his arms not on the pommel handles? why are his set wider? 

B1214N

I think I saw that post too. It was on the GB facebook page. I think Coach probably accidentally miscalled it a maltese. 

 

It could be personal preference. I usually do my planches with the hands slightly wider than shoulder width like that too.

Keilani Gutierrez

kay.  ^_^

Pafke
Jukkaboy said:

Roye Goldschmidt is 6,3 (around 190cm), this guy is also pretty efficient in one arm pull-ups, handstand presses, one arm handstands etc.

10341712_10202128819882830_2242131010746578632_n.jpg

But cant do full planche. :)

Edit: I searched as much as i could and didnt found any of guys with 6 ft or more doing full PL. I also found this one with 5.9 ft (180 cm) - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152380158544594&set=a.10150782859399594.428880.717704593&type=1&theater

Also Adam Raw is 6 ft and he can do a straddle PL and straddle PL pushups, i belive if he train for full planche he can get it.

 

Niklas03
Jon Douglas said:

Huh. Looks like a picture-perfect planche to me. On pommel horse I assumed he was doing Germans or something.

 

I wonder what that looked like in motion.

 

http://tinyurl.com/odfwant

 

I hope this is what you guys are talking about. It's a maltese pushup/German, like Coach said on FB, because the hands are placed wider than in a planche pushup ( BtGB p. 66). The picture was taken during the first European seminar in Mallorca. I tried to remember what it looked like as I was then standing only a few meters away when Dillon was demoing the move. Then I looked through my old pictures and found several video clips of people trying it, Dillon, Allan, Christian from Norway, Raz from Denmark, Michael from Scotland to name a few. Oh good times...

 

Jon, it looked like a German. :)

B1214N

I would have to respectfully disagree with Coach on that being a maltese. The body is way above the hands.

Christian
Niklas03 said:

http://tinyurl.com/odfwant

I hope this is what you guys are talking about. It's a maltese pushup/German, like Coach said on FB, because the hands are placed wider than in a planche pushup ( BtGB p. 66). The picture was taken during the first European seminar in Mallorca. I tried to remember what it looked like as I was then standing only a few meters away when Dillon was demoing the move. Then I looked through my old pictures and found several video clips of people trying it, Dillon, Allan, Christian from Norway, Raz from Denmark, Michael from Scotland to name a few. Oh good times...

Jon, it looked like a German. :)

Yup, a German but with wider hand placement.

I seem to remember Coach using the word maltese while describing them.

Like the maltese pushups in BtGB but done like Germans.

Coach Sommer
Keilani Gutierrez said:

for the record, im not arguing. i could have sworn it was a planche as well, until coach mentioned it( or cory? idk, im looking for the post and can't seem to find it. )

 

but my question now is, if he's doing a planche(or prepping for a German, then why is his arms not on the pommel handles? why are his set wider? 

 

Dillon was performing maltese pushups on the pommel horse in the referenced photo.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jon Douglas

Well, that solves that. Looking at it again his arms ARE at 45 out and back, although the lean looks more like what we usually see  in a planche rather than a static maltese.

Alan Tseng
Coach Sommer said:

Dillon was performing maltese pushups on the pommel horse in the referenced photo.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

i want to do that move

B1214N

I would like to hear why Coach calls it a maltese.

 

The hand placement is only slightly wider than shoulder width and the body is very high above the hands. I still consider this a planche rather than a maltese.

Duff
B1214N said:

I would like to hear why Coach calls it a maltese.

 

The hand placement is only slightly wider than shoulder width and the body is very high above the hands. I still consider this a planche rather than a maltese.

I'm no expert, but while doing a maltese close to the floor, there isn't much room to do a pushup, right? It's probably just meant to differentiate between a planche pushup and a "wider" planche pushup. 

 

And to Paf: let's say we embark on a dicussion whether a planche is possible, and let's say we reach a conclusion that it, in fact, cannot be performed by anyone over 6'. Now tell me, how is that supposed to help? Should everyone over 6' just give up?

B1214N
Duff said:

I'm no expert, but while doing a maltese close to the floor, there isn't much room to do a pushup, right? It's probably just meant to differentiate between a planche pushup and a "wider" planche pushup. 

 

It's true that there isn't much room to do push-up with a true floor maltese. The hand placement width that you see Dillon using in that photo is what I use when I do planches and planche push-ups. I don't even consider that width to be wide at all since it's just outside shoulder width so I wouldn't really call those wide grip planche push-ups either.

Pafke
Duff said:
And to Paf: let's say we embark on a dicussion whether a planche is possible, and let's say we reach a conclusion that it, in fact, cannot be performed by anyone over 6'. Now tell me, how is that supposed to help? Should everyone over 6' just give up?

No one should ever give up. I don't know for others but if i'm 6ft tall i would use this as motivation and i would train as hard as i can to get it. :)

korija
Joshua Naterman said:

Oh, Big Dave can do full planche push ups at 6'1! Have you seen this?

1O6CNx6SCN8

didn't mire his technique tho. Looks like he has arched back and hips are too high

Falcon

I'll just leave this here

 

24yzoe9.jpg

Pafke
Falcon said:

I'll just leave this here

 

24yzoe9.jpg

In Gymnastics everyting is possible if you are short, if you are tall then this is different story. In gymnastics usualy people are short and for them not even the sky is the limit. :)

Pafke
korija said:

didn't mire his technique tho. Looks like he has arched back and hips are too high

Read all posts below this one with video of Big Dave doing full PL pushups and you will notice that he isnt 6´1.

MrPuppeh

So, if its not on youtube then it doesnt exist right ?  :ph34r: