Full Planche @ 6'2

Started by jutajata, May 19, 2011 · 124 Replies · 59,351 Views

Pafke
Bosco said:

Do you know about Artem Morozov, he seems pretty tall ( once again i don't have his real height) and his strong as hell.

Him and antonucci could motivate the author off this thread  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6SeuQm8SWM

He is one of strongest russians in sw scene, he can do straddle maltese on rings (bad form), and much more skills that man higher than 175 struggle with.

Pafke
EdStand said:

If you are talking about the straddle planche that he does at minute 1:12 is not even a good planche. His hips are too high, so is not actually parallel to the ground. With that being said, the dude is strong! :)

Ps: 185 cm could be tall for gymnastic standard, but in real world is just an average height. I'm considered tall, but not like crazy tall and I'm 194 cm..

Watch more of his videos, you will see better planches but none of them are done with max. protraction, unfortunately. :)

 

WadeWilson

I know planche is one of the elements that many people over 6.1' will find almost impossible to perform. (Didn't say they can't).

 

What are some other elements? I expect front lever is harder but it's achievable right? I'm 183-184cm big. What elements will be almost impossible for me? I really want to learn front lever, iron cross, handstand, straddle planche, v-sit and manna. They're all achievable for guys my height right?

Edoardo Cagnola

Impossible? None of them I think (and hope for myself also). Start workin on them through the right progressions and with hard work and consistency everything is possible, however it might take a lot longer to us tall people :) (I continue to refuse to consider 184 cm really tall...)

Pafke
WadeWilson said:

I know planche is one of the elements that many people over 6.1' will find almost impossible to perform. (Didn't say they can't).

 

What are some other elements? I expect front lever is harder but it's achievable right? I'm 183-184cm big. What elements will be almost impossible for me? I really want to learn front lever, iron cross, handstand, straddle planche, v-sit and manna. They're all achievable for guys my height right?

Front lever is not hard as planche, i have seen guys above 190 doing it.

Straddle planche, iron cross and v-sit are possible at that heigh. Many guys even taller than you can do it. About Manna i dont know, i never was interested in it so i didnt read about it.

All ring strenght moves above level B i think is impossible at that height.

 

Edoardo Cagnola

Check out Lachlan Walker on YouTube. He's an amateur gymnast and his got some pretty impressive skills on the rings (elevator, iron cross, he's close to achieve Maltese and azarian cross). The guy is 6' 1

WadeWilson
EdStand said:

Check out Lachlan Walker on YouTube. He's an amateur gymnast and his got some pretty impressive skills on the rings (elevator, iron cross, he's close to achieve Maltese and azarian cross). The guy is 6' 1

This guy is very inspirational! This is what gymnastics needs. More videos in the style of weightlifting/bodybuilding but for gymnastics. Fun little vlogs and training sessions :) More videos like that!!

ForzaCavaliere

I think everything's possible unless you have some sort of physical disorder. 

 

Like, I'm sure someone 6'2"+ could get full planche, if they trained specifically for it. The only problem is, at that height, I believe sacrifices will have to be made in regards to development of other skills. Someone really tall will have to dedicate most of their training to a planche if they want it, meaning other skills suffer.

WadeWilson
ForzaCavaliere said:

I think everything's possible unless you have some sort of physical disorder. 

 

Like, I'm sure someone 6'2"+ could get full planche, if they trained specifically for it. The only problem is, at that height, I believe sacrifices will have to be made in regards to development of other skills. Someone really tall will have to dedicate most of their training to a planche if they want it, meaning other skills suffer.

I totally agree with you. I will stay on the same path i'm on and when i get to planche work we'll see where does it take me. I'm working on back lever and hanstand right now (+ lifting. Yes i also lift weights) and they're both going very well. Straddle back lever already down and 4 second freestanding handstand.

Pafke
ForzaCavaliere said:

I think everything's possible unless you have some sort of physical disorder. 

 

Like, I'm sure someone 6'2"+ could get full planche, if they trained specifically for it. The only problem is, at that height, I believe sacrifices will have to be made in regards to development of other skills. Someone really tall will have to dedicate most of their training to a planche if they want it, meaning other skills suffer.

Maybe, and even if he do only planche training it would take him very long time to get it.

We can say whatever we want to, but nobody ever did full planche at that height. :)

ForzaCavaliere
Paf said:

We can say whatever we want to, but nobody ever did full planche at that height. :)

Looking forward to the day that someone gets it then.

Rayne-William
B1214N said:

It's not an opinion, but a fact that it is more impressive when done by a taller person since it is much harder for him.

Just a thought.

 

Why do you think it wouldn't be just as hard for a shorter individual?

 

I am fairly short and I have to develop the same amount of strength that a taller individual would have to for the same skills. 

 

FL/PE6 was, at times, difficult for me as well and I am still working sPL/SE2 because I am lacking the needed strength to hold and maintain a steady level body position for the iM.

WadeWilson

.... let's not start a hate debate. I can imagine the frustration that 6'+ tall gymnasts can experience. I would do everything to be let's say 180cm. Not 184cm. I can see it with street workout kiddies. They are all weak (yes i know they have to have certain strength to perfom these) and small yet they do pseudo-planches quite quick. Same goes for freestanding handstands and front/back levers. Yes i know the form is poor with most but still. Being small is an advantage here.

WadeWilson

Another question. I know the human flag is not a gymnastics element but do you think i can achieve it with my height? I want a real human flag not something like this 4f4842310ffd9a8f7406efb6d9195e4c.jpg

Rayne-William

If you follow the progressions laid out in the foundation course while doing your best. There is no doubt a taller (6 foot and above) human being can do a full planche, manna, full front lever, side lever.

 

Despite my shorter stature I still have develop the required amount of strength so that I can do what Coach Sommer requires of his athletes. Gravity treats all human beings the same.

B1214N
Rayne-William said:

Just a thought.

 

Why do you think it wouldn't be just as hard for a shorter individual?

 

I am fairly short and I have to develop the same amount of strength that a taller individual would have to for the same skills. 

 

FL/PE6 was, at times, difficult for me as well and I am still working sPL/SE2 because I am lacking the needed strength to hold and maintain a steady level body position for the iM.

Because taller people are even more mechanically disadvantaged. Height and arm span affect the difficulty of such GST skills. Their muscles literally have to use more strength to be able to do the same skills as shorter people. 

Rayne-William
B1214N said:

Because taller people are even more mechanically disadvantaged. Height and arm span affect the difficulty of such GST skills. Their muscles literally have to use more strength to be able to do the same skills as shorter people. 

I am capable of understanding and acknowledging the existence of a mechanical disadvantage if a given individual had a short torso and longer arms vs. the same individual but having a longer torso and shorter arms.  However that disadvantage wouldn't apply exclusively to "Tall" [6 foot(182.88cm) and above] people.

 

Regardless of an individual's physical attributes he or she still has to develop the needed amount of strength to do a particular task.

GORIZONT

You guys are really discouraging people like me. It is much harder to learn the planche for someone like me, but i think with right training program and consistensy nothing is imposibble. My stats now is: 188cm, 83kg. I will learn full planche one day, you will see...

Rayne-William
GORIZONT said:

You guys are really discouraging people like me. It is much harder to learn the planche for someone like me, but i think with right training program and consistensy nothing is imposibble. My stats now is: 188cm, 83kg. I will learn full planche one day, you will see...

Don't be discouraged. Outside of an injury, you need to realise that your mind is the only real limitation to developing the strength you need to do a full planche.

Pafke
WadeWilson said:

Another question. I know the human flag is not a gymnastics element but do you think i can achieve it with my height? I want a real human flag not something like this 4f4842310ffd9a8f7406efb6d9195e4c.jpg

In one thread coach Sommer said:

Coach Sommer said:

184cm should not be a problem; GB's tallest student is 198cm. :)

At that height, Erik has amazing mobility, front lever, press handstand and nearly a manna.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Side flag (human flag) is easy skill compared with planche.

Deal with your height. You wont get anything positive if you continue thinking about full planche and some stuff you probably wont be able to do. Love what you do. I dont want to discourage anybody. Accept reality as it is.

Edoardo Cagnola

I was re-listening to the F1 webinar, and that is where the answer to this is. Go to minute 30 and you'll find coach take on this topic :)

WadeWilson

I love this, don't worry :D We're all gonna make it brah!

B1214N
Rayne-William said:

I am capable of understanding and acknowledging the existence of a mechanical disadvantage if a given individual had a short torso and longer arms vs. the same individual but having a longer torso and shorter arms.  However that disadvantage wouldn't apply exclusively to "Tall" [6 foot(182.88cm) and above] people.

 

Regardless of an individual's physical attributes he or she still has to develop the needed amount of strength to do a particular task.

As far as I know, it may be because taller people usually have longer limbs and having a longer lever arm would mean more torque on the shoulders. Their bigger muscles are not enough to compensate for that and so it is harder for them to have a strength to weight ratio as high as that as a shorter person.

Rayne-William
B1214N said:

As far as I know, it may be because taller people usually have longer limbs and having a longer lever arm would mean more torque on the shoulders. Their bigger muscles are not enough to compensate for that and so it is harder for them to have a strength to weight ratio as high as that as a shorter person.

 

The further the end of a lever gets from its fulcrum point more torque can be produced. For the arm of the human body, the shoulder and hand are fulcrum points.

 

It isn't hard to develop a decent strength to weight ratio for any stature and or body type. Develop the strength of the tendons to gain a higher strength to weight ratio.

 

You have to remember it is the tendons that gives the skeleton it's muscular strength. Without tendons the human body becomes limp and immobile.

Matias Perez Aguirre

I think for someone to be over 6 ft and do a planche they need to be geneticly small (small shoulders) this would help them as they would weight less. I'm currently training for the planche and i can hold a open tuck for a couple of seconds im 5'10 160lbs