Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can I achieve my goals faster with the WOD?

Falcon

Hi,

I would like to ask you if I can achieve my goals faster with the WOD or with my workouts designed for that (kind of killroy template).

I would really like to achieve this in 7-8 months, don't tell me whether it's possible or not, I don't want to know. I just want to know if WODs, or my template is going to take me there faster.

Goals:

Straddle Planche - on floor, possibly on rings

Full FL & BL

Straight arm press to HS - both on floor and rings

Full ROM HSPU

Current strenght (7th week of SSC, could be better):

XR MU

5 sec tuck planche

15 sec flat tuck BL (almost a straddle)

20 sec tuck FL

Press to shoulderstand on rings

tuck bent arm press to HS on floor (hard)

~2 HeSPU on floor (even harder)

Thanks for any tips. :)

7-8mo, I doubt it.

the press on floor and HSPU and BL are probably doable, FL will probably take a bit longer, perhaps a momentary straddle planche with form errors.

the press on rings is gonna be a pain. stretch out your hip flexors and work on pike or straddle compression

Oookay.

FL is not really important, that planche is, and presses too. I'll have that BL in 2 months easily.

So, should I stick to my workout template or do WODs? :?

• 2 weeks later...
Animalonfire

If you can't program for yourself (if you're unsure, you can't) and/or you don't know what you want, WOD's are awesome.

Having said that, Ido had a planche/FL development session. I'll edit that in if I find it.

Barbell press and free HS for HSPU IMO(you may supplement the WOD's as you see fit)

... If your main focus is achieving the Planche and F-Lever, I would design it differently with more supporting exercises for those two main exercises.

For example:

Main Focus Workout

A1 Planche static hold total 60 sec

A2 F-Lever static hold total 60 sec

B1 L-sit to extension exercise 3 reps / 2125 rhythem (for extension strength, preparing for the straddle planche position in the future) X 3 sets

B2 Body levers 3-5 reps X 3 sets (for additional core specific work for F-lever)

C1 Dumbell planche presses with locked elbows 5 reps / 20X5 X 3 sets

C2 Locked arm pull to inverted hang 5 reps / 50X1 X 3 sets

This basicly takes care of specific work (A), core specific work for body tension (B), and additional push/pull straight arm work © and will allow you to advance very quickly by building the strength throughout your body and integrating it into specific work.

Do this 2-4 times a week or alternate it with a planche push up and flever pull up similar workout and add 1-2 workouts concentrating on maintainance work - pistol, GHR, mup, hspu or whatever makes you tick, in a circuit manner, metcon kind of work or just plain old sets/supersets.

Dont push in the maintainance workout even close to failure, leave your gas for the main focus ...

Not sure if his recommendations have moved on since then (I saw none of this at a seminar featuring FL and planche), but he promised the results so it can't have been that off base.

Enjoy

Archbishop o balance
B1 L-sit to extension exercise 3 reps / 2125 rhythem (for extension strength, preparing for the straddle planche position in the future) X 3 sets

I feel like a real muff, but I've been thinking about this all day and I just can't figure out what this exercise is.

Is it transitioning from an L-sit to a planche variation, or is it like sitting in an l-sit and flexing/extending your legs out in front of you, or something completely different?

Pardon my ignorance guys, but some help on this would be greatly appreciated! :) The planche is a huge goal, so I think I'll use this template and see if it bears fruit.

Animalonfire

You are not a muff! I set up a thread to find this out for myself. Perhaps we are both muffs.. 'muff said! :wink: (....crickets...)

The conclusion was that 'L sit extension'=L press to Planche. Makes perfect sense because if you can do a reverse hyper, you have the necessary back strength for a planche.

Don't neglect scapula position and you shouldn't hit any road blocks to soon(unless you do something horribly or fail a darwin test :? ). What i did was: bad scapula(scaps failed first)>Hurt shoulder>Stop planching until it gets better. This is all well and good, but without the scap position being learned/strengthened I just went back to the beginning whenever the shoulder healed (which took longer than it should have). And we've all seen the scapula mob/shoulder ROM stuff by now (and can invent shrugs or read kelso's shrug book(with several grains of salt with the non shrugging chapters)).

I'm thinking about a trial run of the Planche/FL WO today unless the WOD looks super cool

Animalonfire

Sorry!

The L-sit extension is not to planche and was described by coach sommer in some thread about straddle active flexibility, look it up.

But I can't find it :x .

Eddie Stelling

Animalonfire, is the exercise Ido prescribed in that thread a band assisted straddle planche pushup with full protraction at the top, or is it only scapular pushups in the straddle planche position? In other words, do you think he means to stay in the straddle PL postion and do scapular shrugs, or do the full pushup from the ground up and shrug to full protraction at the top? Hope I am being clear enough, thanks for the help!

Archbishop o balance
Translation: Should I do the program a world class gymnastics coach developed or.......

Haha, Touché! I feel stung...

@Animalonfire... The L-sit to planche thingy seemed logical to me as well, but it would appear, good sir, that you and I are indeed a pair of muffs :D But I certainly appreciate the answer!

Animalonfire

AOB, stick the results on the thread please!

Eddie. Start with a band around your ankles that isn't quite strong enough to let you planche your feet off the floor, lean forwards enough, and the tension in the band will increase until you can lift your feet up with greater assistance. Due to the wonders of trigonometry, protracting the scapula whilst leaning forward adds tension to the band faster, and hey presto! The correct scap position is the easiest, and you have a self corrective practice.

Jeff, Nobody doubts Coach Sommers ability to get results, but WOD's don't take into account individual needs such as structural imbalances and specific goals.Eg. Should a monster puller who's goals are back squat and HS do todays dynamic pull WOD, or would his needs be better catered for by some back squats, HS's and pressing? Of course WOD's are super cool, they're just not a holy grail.

Joshua Naterman

The WODS should be considered GPP for gymnastics. GPP= everything that you do outside of specific skill development.

Now, the WODS will absolutely help out with ALL of those things, but they are a general all-around tool that allows you to develop everything. You need that. When you get weak in certain areas and strong in others by only having a focused program you become vulnerable to injuries as well as strength plateaus.

If you're doing the WODs correctly you should have plenty of strength, energy and recovery potential to perform specific skill and/or strength training like what has been mentioned without negatively impacting your results. The way to do this is simple: Scale back slightly on how much effort you put into the WODs so that you feel strong after each is done.

Most of you simply do not realize how far back from your maximal strength potential you need to be working for most of this stuff. We have had the strongest American Seminar group by far this past weekend and there was a common theme amongst all of us who have made enormous strides forward: Scale back and just focus on perfecting movements instead of trying to push forward and challenge strength. We saw a group where almost half of us could hold ring handstands, do very easy muscle ups, straddle and full lay front levers were fairly common and the list goes on. This all came from the basics and from scaling back a full progression or two. Doing so will not only accelerate your own results if you are working too hard like we were but also allow you more than enough recovery ability to benefit from additional focused work.

How do you think Coach's kids do it? I sat in on two full training sessions and whether it was the little ones, the girls or the teenagers getting ready for Visas they all were more than capable of doing their conditioning as well as their specific apparatus work for the day.

I am a 29, almost 30 year old guy. I have found that the exact same approach works for me, and I'm not the only one. We're talking about different nationalities, different ages, even different genders. We had a 70+ year old lady that made half of us look weak, for crying out loud! She got there the same way: by not pushing too hard.

That is something that seems to take us all a long time to swallow and accept, but when you do the results are excellent and speak for themselves.

Okay, I'll try some pulling WOD today, as I have my vertical pulling/pressing day

I think that I can mix WODs with my own programming to train the weak links (my false grip pullups are horrible and my HeSPUs are crap :( ) And my biceps needs some attention too (bodyweight biceps curls 8) )

Thanks Slizz for help, I think without your posts I would be getting nowhere :D