Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dogen's titanium ankles

Banzas

I found this video some years ago and I think it should be used for all gymnastics for conditioning to avoid sprain and other ankle injuries... take a look :)

TDbnMKhIuA0

( I posted because I didn't found it on the forum, hope I'm not reposting :? )

Banzas

Good video, i hope most of us here don't need all the warnings in the beginning, because we already get that.

One other simple tip, barefoot style shoes, there are more and more on the market now, some that even look good and don't smell bad. This will make your foot and ankle work the way it was meant to all day long.

Cool video! I know a lot ot ankle prehab due to my terrible sprain, but some of these I had never seen. Intresting and useful! Thanks!

Good video, i hope most of us here don't need all the warnings in the beginning, because we already get that.

One other simple tip, barefoot style shoes, there are more and more on the market now, some that even look good and don't smell bad. This will make your foot and ankle work the way it was meant to all day long.

My ankle strength changed tremendously when I implemented this. Specifically, I would use them on hikes. I started to do this right around the time I began tumbling and I believe that it was a huge factor in me never having ankle injuries from tumbling. Before that I had quite a few as I played basketball quite often and my ankles would just give out, one time having a sprain so bad that doctors couldn't believe that it wasn't a break (I had to use crutches for 2 months).

Had I done the exercises as well perhaps I would have been able to avoid constant shin splits too.

My ankle strength changed tremendously when I implemented this. Specifically, I would use them on hikes. I started to do this right around the time I began tumbling and I believe that it was a huge factor in me never having ankle injuries from tumbling. Before that I had quite a few as I played basketball quite often and my ankles would just give out, one time having a sprain so bad that doctors couldn't believe that it wasn't a break (I had to use crutches for 2 months).

Had I done the exercises as well perhaps I would have been able to avoid constant shin splits too.

This bad sprain had complete ligament rupture? Mine had, and it's been 1 year, I also used crutches for 2 months and did phisiotherapy for 3 months. I still have pain and some loss of ROM, but no lack of strenght or stability. Doctor says there's really nothing wrong, and he could at least do an arthroscopy, but there's no guarantee that it will give results. I'm losing my patience with it, but I don't want to rush back to the gym for roundoffs and backfilps, also because I'm 90kg and 1,82m.

You got fully recovered from it?

I also have a sprain on my left ankle. I did about december playing basketball too. I went to the doctor and he said it was nothing, some months doing my regular life and and should be ok. My ankle still hurts sometimes... I'm starting doing this exercises everyday, hope to get better... :roll:

This bad sprain had complete ligament rupture? Mine had, and it's been 1 year, I also used crutches for 2 months and did phisiotherapy for 3 months. I still have pain and some loss of ROM, but no lack of strenght or stability. Doctor says there's really nothing wrong, and he could at least do an arthroscopy, but there's no guarantee that it will give results. I'm losing my patience with it, but I don't want to rush back to the gym for roundoffs and backfilps, also because I'm 90kg and 1,82m.

You got fully recovered from it?

This was years ago (I think I was 15 at the time). Don't think it ruptured, they only did an x-ray and just said well it's not broken here are some crutches. No physio, they just gave me crutches to walk on then after 2 months I began to slowly limp, worked up to walking fine, then running, and so on. Yep I fully recovered, it was tight and weak for a while but with patients it was fine.

If it's been a year and imaging shows nothing I'd recommend some kind of soft tissue to work things out and a competent physical therapist that is familiar with working with athletes.

Joshua Naterman

I second all of that, and I definitely suggest learning the jumpstretch ankle conditioning as well. The way they use their bands is simple, intelligent and highly effective. Coach's liquid steel™ program has some more complete coverage, but all of this is a great foundation.

I would also suggest that all tumblers/tricksters spend time every day (or as close to it as possible) doing bodyweight split squats both laterally and frontally, and also do some single leg stiff leg deadlifts. That's a big, big deal. They'll keep your hips healthy and between healthy hips and healthy ankles you will have a very, very hard time injuring yourself.

Animalonfire

Some more:

To intensify toe raises, lean on a wall and move the feet away from it before starting. Keep your hips against the wall for accurate measurement. - Ido's

Twist flexed feet with resistance of a partner -Coach Sommers (there are some guidelines in the post, but I can't remember them)

Get a dynamic axial resistance device -poliquin (for BBers, could be useful though)

1.35 in this video really sets off my bad ankle, so there must be some prehab value in it. I'm playing with the opposite with crossed legs and the blades of me feet. So basically just standing up from a cross legged sit on the floor, not sure if it has any real value.

Joshua Naterman

That one you are playing with stresses and strengthens the PCL (Posterior Cruciate Ligament) directly, as long as you limit volume in the beginning and build up slowly. The one in the video strengthens ACL.

There is much to be learned from Kung Fu.

• 1 year later...
Ping Blekkboks

Bump, but I really wonder; Joshua, wouldn't the exercises Animalonfire mention strengthen the lateral and medial ligaments?