Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Weight Training combined with Statics

sunshine

Hello,

i'm 25 an have no gymnatic experience.

My Goals are to reach the Full Planche, Backlever, Frontlever.

I'm training 3 times a week with a specific strength system (5/3/1 Jim Wendler):

Monday:

Deadlift

Military Press

Wednesday:

Benchpress

Friday:

Squat

I've read coach summers book, but now i'm a little bit confused!

1.So how can i integrate the static work in my basic routine?

2.Before or after the weightlifting exercises?

3.Whats the best way to do it?

Do the tuck-planche\tuck backlever\ tuck frontlever and handstand work on each of my training days?

Or should i pick at first the handstand and work on it till i reach a perfect free handstand for 60sek and after that use the handstand as a warm-up and pick another static excersise and work up again and so on?

Or should i train the handstand on monday the planche on wednesday and the frontlever on friday?

What about dips and pull ups?

thx in advance

Joshua Naterman

Your statics would be best in your warm up for the workout.

You should use BtGB exercises for the assistance portion of 531.

I don't mean to sound short, but that's seriously the answer! It's a great blend of methods, and here are my recommendations for you.

Bench assistance exercises:

Dip variations

Bulgarian Rows (done properly)

External rotator work

False grip pull ups(well, pull ups first and then these, at least if you want a smooth muscle up) and OAC progressions (when you are strong enough)

PPP (eventually on rings, this will help build planche strength and will enhance your bench as long as you don't do too much)

Deadlift assistance exercises:

HeS RLL

Jefferson Curls or sandbag chest carries (to strengthen the middle of the back)

Arch ups/Curl ups

NLC/GHR variations

Military press assistance exercises:

external rotator work (again)

Bulgarian rows (again, do them both days)

shrugs

Squat assistance exercises:

Good Morning (done properly, just to squat lean and no further)

NLC (again)

Single Leg, Stiff Leg Deadlift (keep knee bent at 20 degrees the whole time and hold weight in the left hand if you are standing on the right foot)

Single leg bulgarian squats.

Currently, I'm just finishing up week 3 of 531. I still need to DL/BP this week.

On Tues, I have been doing BackSquat and OverheadPress. Generally I do this in the morning or around afternoon. At night, I'll do my gymnastics workout. On Tues and Friday I work 5 sets of rope pullups and ring dips on a SSC series. On Tu I'll work pseudo planche pushups preferably on rings. On Friday I'll work HeSPU. Tu and Fri also have horizontal and inverted pull work as well as dumbbell rows.

Tuesday and Friday are also days I work the FSP SSC. Previously before this I was working it 4d/week but I've scaled it back to 2 and I'm working on MU negatives on M and Th as well as press to HS on rings, maltese on blocks, and body levers. These are friggin tough as the holds are short. Generally I'll end up with some dip swings and pullup levers and hanging leg lifts.

I was thinking of using the King DL and SLS as assistance exercises for lower body but this first cycle has been rough. The first two weeks, part of my left thigh felt like it was getting hot and burning during squatting on the last set but I think it was merely because it was tight so I started stretching out my ITB beforehand. As well, the volume of lower body work from 531 has been a ballbuster. Too long not lifting the Iron. A few months ago, I had started a 531 cycle for lower body but had to stop because of back problems involving tweaking it and an injury. Week 2 and 3 are rough.

The goal is to do the olympic lifts in there somewhere, preferably on Tu/F and one day on the weekend and use 531 as strength work. On M&Th, I generally try to tumble a bit and it's where I'll work in some vault once I get my calves sorted out. Some sprints would be a good idea or some KB swings. I walk quite a bit but...

I've been meaning to add some more core work in there like back ext or inverted situps or rotational stuff but they are the last thing on the list and time gets cut short. Wed is mostly stretching and HS work with some presses and wall HS cycles and sometimes I do that Saturday as well.

As well I do the FSP WU MTuThF. 2d/week I've been working L-sit off the floor and the other 2 days I do it for 60s on PB and then hit a maintenance hold for straddle-L.

After another cycle of 531, maybe 2 perhaps I will test the SSC holds and maxes to see if there is more improvement with 531 added in compared to doing it without.

• 3 weeks later...

Slizzardman,

What rep scheme do you use for the assistance portion?

I just read through the BtGB book and am confused how to procede. I have been doing heavy lifting for years, up until a dislocated rib I received while wrestling. I've taken about 8 months off, and am now finally able to begin a program again. I've been reading a lot of your posts, as well as watching your YouTube channel, and seeing as we have very similar builds and lift very similar numbers (at least at one point), I'm wondering what your routine is, or rather what routine you would recommend I begin. I've never done any gymnastic training prior to this, and I already know I will need to start at the beginning of the progressions.

Also - At one point I weighed in right around 220lbs; now I am about 190lbs. I would like to put this weight back on. Seeing as you know so much about nutrition (admittedly, far more than myself), if you could include an in-depth meal plan (if time allows), I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

K

I should ammend this by adding that I'm not commited to any type of workout at this point; I am willing to do a blend of weight lifting and BtGB or solely BtGB. Whatever is recommended to me.

Thanks,

K

Joshua Naterman

I am finding that using weighted dips and weighted chins/pull ups for maximal strength (2-4 reps) and the multiplane pulls for assistance is an excellent, excellent combination. I'd follow the WOD schedule, honestly, and then do low volume heavy lifts to complement the movements with pure, raw strength development. They work together very very well.

Unfortunately I can not comment on what I am currently doing, as Dillon and I are basically completely destroying our concepts or what is possible in strength development. It may be a year or two before we roll out the full program, but all I can say is that it feels like our hidden potential has been released, Dragon Ball Z style. Seriously. I have two guys doing an experiment here as well, and they are finding the same thing to be true.

I am actually so focused on what we are doing that it is difficult to think about what I used to do, and it is also hard to make what I now know to be substandard recommendations even though they will seem great to you guys. I will put effort in to give you the best that I can, but it's probably going to take a few days for me to get this up.

As an example I would use front pulls and front lever pulls with slow tempos (probably means you'll be in a tuck at first) for volume training (basic strength days) and I would use your heavy weighted chins and pull ups for maximal strength (tack these on for 1-3 sets at the end of upper body pulling workouts, maybe 5 sets on ring strength day).

PPP are great for the volume work and weighted dips as well as HSPU and weighted HSPU are great for working our maximal strength. HSPU sort of fall in both categories, I am finding.

Rings should be used a bit more for volume work and PB or floor versions should be used for the heavy loading. This is because the rings are inherently more unstable than a set of dip bars or PB, and that instability will always keep you from loading the prime movers as heavy as they can handle. That is also why the rings are so important. They make you very, very, very strong. Just use them appropriately.

Interesting to know Sliz. I was gonna start adding some weighted dips and pullups followed by bw dips and rope pullups I already do on my next cycle 2x/week. Basically day 2 that is mostly a bent arm day besides FSP. One of the biggest limitations I have in the gym is time though. I've been trying to explore how much volume and work I can do without destroying myself by the end of the week or 3 week cycle and finding I can do it a lot more than I thought as I was being super cautious (which probably was why I stagnated).

On the first day of the two day set which is mostly a straight arm day (body lever, block maltese, ring press to HS) I incorporate some dynamic work with FL pulls, swinging dips and fast HLL. I found I didn't like doing the dynamic stuff on day 2 after working str on day 1. Or rather my joints didn't. Generally 3 or 5 sets depending on time done as a mini circuit. I don't push it, I just generally do 5-10 at a nice pace. I probably should put some ag walks in somewhere and a lot of other stuff but there is only so much time. I could probably do pistol jumps or something like that but it all depends on time as I am generally trying to jam them in there before we have to leave.

Kyle Courville

Unfortunately I can not comment on what I am currently doing, as Dillon and I are basically completely destroying our concepts or what is possible in strength development. It may be a year or two before we roll out the full program, but all I can say is that it feels like our hidden potential has been released, Dragon Ball Z style. Seriously. I have two guys doing an experiment here as well, and they are finding the same thing to be true.

If you need another person to experiment on................ :mrgreen: