Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Young

jgonick

My ten year old son is becoming more interested in upper body strength. Currently he tumbles (back hand springs, back flips, handstands etc..) Would someone his age benefit from the WOD? (modified for his level) Or should he be doing something different? I would appreciate any advice with working with someone at that age.

Thanks.

I would think the WOD would be a very good option.

Keep in mind that the WOD is a part of Coach Sommer's own training program, and he's dealing with boys in that age group. Us adults are the unusual ones.

I'm about to show my ignorance: For my knowledge, what is the difference between a tumbler and an acrobat?

He was in private lessons. His coach was a friend of mine who ended up having to move to a different city. We haven't found another coach that we liked yet, so my son is in a holding pattern. He was learning mainly floor. Handsprings, flips, roundoffs etc.. He would do short routines like: cart wheel, roundoff, back handspring, back handspring, back flip. He was in the early stages of learning. He can do them, but was still working on and refining his form. He does still occasionally practices what he learned. I'm hoping he will at least maintain what he learned until we can locate another coach. My son was always interested in the rings, but my friend (female) had very little experience with them. He doesn't want to compete, he just wants to be able to do it. --

Whats funny is my son became interested in gymnastics after he saw a Jakie Chan Movie.

• 3 weeks later...

After seeing what my son was able and unable to do, I decided it would be more beneficial to create his own workout.

I was thinking about a 3-4 day workout. Doing the basic FSP for warmup. --He can already hold them for 30s so 4x15sec

60 sec plank

60 sec reverse plank

60 sec arch hold

60 sec hollow hold

60 sec handstand

Then for the FBE : Day 1. horizontal press/pull- legs/core Day 2. dips/inverted curls -legs/core Day 3. vertical press/pulls-legs/core.

My question: In reading I noticed Coach said at his age 1 set w/3-5 reps would be best. page175 So each day he will do one set of push, then pull, then legs, then core. A total of 4 sets of different muscle groups. Does that sound correct? Is that all he needs for the time being?

Thanks