Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bodyweight leg extension

Estari

Hi

I'm new here, but like everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while a learned a lot.

I haven't read all posts here yet and i don't remember everything what i read, so forgive me if I ask something what has been already answered.

My question:

I wonder if this exercise would be beneficial for developing strenght in quads(esspecialy for vertical jump). I haven't found anything like that on the internet. I have read something about similar exercise, that if you go past 90 degre angle(hamstring /\ calf ) you will hurt your knee. So don't you know if there is any posibility of hurting knees this way?

NHwkGsg5DWg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHwkGsg5DWg

the vid is slow cause of bad video converter i think

Sorry if my english is bad, I'm from Slovakia(we don't speak english).

Thanks for yours replies.

Weather you'll hurt your knees this way no one can tell you for sure. It's like behind the neck overhead presses some can do them for years and be fine otherwise develop shoulder issues. Weather this is a good exercise for vertical? I'd say there are much better ones out there than this specifically squatting variations (bilateral and single leg).

The best way to get better at jumping is to jump more. Look into a good plyometric workout.. I use the one from P90X for my explosiveness for sports (rugby mainly) and it works fine for me, but I don't know what carry-over it has to vertical. My standing long jump is 2.7 meters though, and I'm only 5'8"... I do plyo one week and alternate between bodyweight and heavy weightlifting workouts for the second week for my legs.

The best way to get better at jumping is to jump more. Look into a good plyometric workout.. I use the one from P90X for my explosiveness for sports (rugby mainly) and it works fine for me, but I don't know what carry-over it has to vertical. My standing long jump is 2.7 meters though, and I'm only 5'8"... I do plyo one week and alternate between bodyweight and heavy weightlifting workouts for the second week for my legs.

Haha yeah I forgot to mention that part, I always assume people realize this. But yea like rmandawg said if your goal is to get better at jumping you need to actually work on jumping in conjunction with training the legs (quads and glutes are the key).

i know and realize the ways to increase vertical jump and i 'm doing it pretty well, but i want something more aimed to work quads, because SLSs hit quads and glutes(which i feels the most, probably because they are weaker) and GHRs also hit glutes and hams. So if i do 1 day SLS and GHR next day, I work glutes 2 days in a row, which i want to avoid.