Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New approach to HeSPU negatives

Aurelio Paras

Aurelio Paras

Good evening!

I was hoping to get some feedback on my theory for properly utilizing HeSPU negatives to develop HeSPU's....

The HeSPU (and HSPU) are both unique bodyweight exercises because the tension becomes greater as you approach the final position of the movement (forehead or shoulders lowered to hands).

For training movements such as the pullup or the Handstand press, most people will find success in negatives because both movements require the most muscle contraction (tension) in the beginning of the exercise. After leaving this point where tension is at its greatest, the exercise slowly shifts from strength oriented to more of a strength-endurance exercise.

But in order to mimic the same success with the HeSPU, we must realize that negative HeSPU's start off as an endurance exercise and gradually become a strength-oriented maneuver as you approach the final position. Too much energy is being wasted at the beginning of the negative and gives less stimulation time for the more lowered positions.

The proper starting position for the negative is unique to each individual. My method of finding such a position is this:

If you cannot complete a full ROM HeSPU, find lowest position which you can push out from for 1 rep. Any position higher than this is more endurance-oriented and any position lower than this will cause your negative to descend faster (your maximal strength is not enough to sustain this position, but can only slow the drop down).

If you start your negative from a position where you can do only one rep, the negative will require maximum contraction the whole maneuver; whereas if you started at the very top, the negative would require minimal contraction until you reach that "special position".

By eliminating the endurance portion of the HeSPU negative, we have more energy to spend maximal time in the maximal tension zones of the HeSPU negative for maximal results :mrgreen:

Once you can do a full ROM HeSPU, the best route would probably be to do 10-second holds for the lowest position you can do. Negatives won't be too helpful at this point unless you switch to parallettes.

I did a comparison between doing a HeSPU negative from the very top and my own "special position". I noticed the negative from my "special position" was significantly more taxing on my shoulders and elbows than the regular negative.

With that said, these should probably be done only once or twice a week max. No more. Never to failure.

Your thoughts?

I don't quite understand. How do you get to the 'push out limit' point without starting at the top and lowering into it?

Aurelio Paras

oh yah! When your in the handstand position, lower yourself to that "special position" as quickly as possible. For example:

The distance from my starting position (forehead) to the ground is 11 inches. So far, my "special position" is 5.5 inches from the very top. Usually when I do a normal negative, I spend up to 8 seconds lowering myself down 5.5 inches. For my version, I would spend no more than 1-2 seconds lowering to the "special position" so you can save all your energy for the maximum contraction zones.

In my case, I found I was able to spend around 25-30% more time in the maximum contraction zones if I started my actual controlled negative at my own particular "special position".

Hope this clears up any vagueness in my mini-essay :lol:

It would be a monumental task owing to the sheer volume of posts but if you search Slizzardman's posts you will find that at some point he has said basically the same thing... (and your style is amazingly similar, you guys should talk...)